1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Did nintendo just fry my sd card?....

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by archlvt, Oct 18, 2010.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

Everything is right, except for the AP part. It wasn't an attack, it was just a bad coincidence that it froze on the do not power off part. It definitely didn't fry the sd card, but just gave it a normal corruption like any other time. The only difference this time is that the card ran out of cycles. If this were the first offense, it would have been a simple matter of formatting it and putting everything back on.

I never doubted the fact that turning the ds off during the do not turn the ds off screen was the reason it became corrupt, but that's the way it is. Has nothing to do with AP, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do this dozens of times in the past with no issues.

2. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

A game freezing while the screen says "DO NOT TURN OFF" isn't so bad on your SD card. It's happened to me and my R4i Gold many times, and all I did was turn off, and turn back on. SD card is fine.

3. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Then that's where you are lucky.

It really is bad for the card as interrupting it's writing cycle may cause the save to be corrupt, but in worser cases, make your card corrupt.
    Yes I am not sure either if it's AP, but it was just a guess.

4. archlvt

Something just occured to me...

Here's the lowdown on how my sd corruption worked. I'd be playing a game using akaio, and it would randomly freeze. So I turn the power off, back on, and I go into my list of games, and they're all corrupt. So I would delete everything, and reload everything back onto the sd and keep playing. A week later, corruption happens again. Does this about 10 times. So I switch to the official firmware, and while it's not as good, the freezing almost totally stopped. It did happen once, and then a second time during the dq9 save process, totaling roughly 12 corruptions, the 12th permanently rendering my sd unusable.

Here's what I'm wondering. I wonder if there was actually nothing ever wrong with my acekard to begin with, and perhaps I just got a really really crappy kingston microsd? Is it possible for the SD to freeze my games instead of the flash cart?

I'm tempted to try my new sandisk with my acekard but I don't wanna risk corruption. What do you all think?

5. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

Speed class?

Well considering that your last card corrupted so many times before failure, you could try it until it corrupts once.

Chances are pretty good that the first problem wont destroy your card!

6. chaunceez

chaunceez Well-Known Member

Maybe you just got a faulty crappy kingston Sd card..... i reckon very year or so switch sd cards and like every week backup files like what you said before.

7. will1008

will1008 Well-Known Member

NO BIG EFFING DEAL?!?
    I had my 2GB fry and I almost collapsed

8. archlvt

My 4gb was only like $11.....

9. manaseater

Speed class?

Ye its not the cost- its the save data that is lost-

10. archlvt

Which is, and I quote, "no big deal", if you back up your data regularly like you're supposed to. I lost a few hours on dq4, maybe an hour on dq9, and an hour on ff4hol. No big deal.

11. manaseater

Speed class?

Still valuable imo- thats like four hours- especially in a grindy part of a game. I dare say that depending on the game/part those hours are more valuable than the card!

Imagine chaining a shiny with good ivs and losing that!

12. archlvt

Luckily I don't play competitively, because I don't have a million hours to spend on perfect ivs/evs just to be able to stand any sort of chance online.

13. manaseater

One solution.

Pokesav.