1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Difference in DL'ing a WII Rom & backing up myself?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by MutantMike, Apr 9, 2015.

1. MutantMike

MutantMike New Member

Just out homebrew on my Wii and wondering if backing up games myself or just downloading Rom's is the way to go.

Will there be any difference? I will be storing on an external hard drive

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

backing up your own games is legal, downloading is not. That's the difference

3. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

actually backing up your own games isnt 100% legal in some cases. Its a huge minefield when it comes to that subject and the only advice given is "Do at your own risk"

4. Loonylion

in the UK it's 100% legal. EULAs cannot override statuate law (which allows backups for personal use). So its legal, even if the software developer/publisher forbids it in the EULA.

5. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

ill see your statuate law, and raise you internation law stating "no unauthorize copies of digital copies in any form". Doesnt matter if you live in america, europe, asia or a deserted island, they will prosecute you to the full extent of the law, and civil suits. Does it mean if you get caught you will be punished, "nope", but doesnt mean it cant not happen. thats why i said "do at your own risk".

6. Loonylion

backups are authorised under national statuate law therefore that doesn't apply. it might be an international law but it has to be enforced by the national justice system, which also defines what is authorised and what is not, and in this case the copies are authorised because statuate law grants the consumer the right to make backups for personal use.

an EULA is a civil agreement and will always be superceded by national statuate law.