1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dolphin crashes on loading

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Count_orlok, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Count_orlok

Count_orlok New Member

Hello everyone im just posting to ask if anyone has a solution for this error,when i try to load up any game it will load without error once and then never load again simply crashing dolphin (trying to play soul cal 2 and wind waker btw)
    Windows-8.1
    Processor-intel(R) Core(TM) i700MO CPU @ 2.40Hz
    RAM- 8.00 GB
    system type-64 bit,x64-based processor

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I take it your system is a Laptop?

If yes, your system is underpowered because it's relying on onboard graphics, meaning you don't have a dedicated video (graphics) card.

3. Count_orlok

Count_orlok New Member

So will it be impossible for me to emulate games or is getting a more powerful graphics card an option?

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

You didn't even answer my question if your system is a laptop or a Desktop so how can I be sure if suggesting a better graphics card will be beneficial or not :p

This is important because you can never (well in most cases) upgrade nor add a graphics card to a laptop.

As for the matter regarding if emulation is possible or not on your system... sure you can use and play on an emulator on your system, just not ones like Dolphin that demand higher specs.

For sure you can play NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS1, Gameboy, GBA and NDS emulators on your current specs and those are actually a whole lot. But if you really want to go for "newer" system emulators then you definitely need to go for a Desktop.

5. Count_orlok

Count_orlok New Member

Ok cheers (sorry im on laptop) so ill see if its possible to upgrade my graphics card of find a less demanding emulator(any suggestions?) But ill try and get a desktop computer
    Thanks dude

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

less than 1% of laptops can have their graphics cards upgraded, and those that can its generally not a substantial upgrade. In terms of a less demanding emulator, you wont find a less demanding emulator for that generation of system, but an old system (such as n64) will inherently be less demanding.

7. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

I've been in your shoes before, so I've searched high and low after ways to upgrade my own laptop. But like the others have said before me, if you really want to play the "latest" generation of games, you better get a desktop computer for that purpose. It's not as easy to upgrade a laptop "from within" as compared with a desktop computer.

It was possible for me to play Twilight Princess (Gamecube-version) although I have worse specs than your laptop. But it wasn't worth the time to play through a game which always slows down because of too many enemies/NPC:s in the area you're in, or when quick save states didn't work properly; all of them caused by poor computer specs. So in the end I chose to replay games belonging to the older systems, and it's fun nevertheless.

As for your question about less demanding emulators... Dolphin is the only Gamecube/Wii-emulator I know in existence, and it's considered to be a great emulator.

So once again, I recommend you to get a desktop computer. Or you should give the "oldies" a chance for your current laptop. "Oldies" like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Super Mario Bros. 3, Sonic The Hedgehog, Final Fantasy VI, TMNT: Turtles in time, GoldenEye 007 and many other titles. They are the reason that "newer" and more graphically advanced games exist after all.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017