1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Double Dragon IV [Steam/PS4]

Discussion in 'PC' started by NintyRaccoon, Jan 30, 2017.

?

Which is your favourite Double Dragon-game series?

1. The original games for arcade.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. All of the NES Double Dragon games. They were the best!

100.0%
  3. All of the Game Boy Double Dragon games. They worked well as handheld games.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. All of the SNES Double Dragon games. They had better graphics!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Any of the "obscure" games for other consoles (Master System, Neo Geo).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. "Double Dragon Advance" for the GBA: It had the perfect mixture of all the past DD-games together.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The modern games in 3D: "Double Dragon Neon" and "Double Dragon II: Wanderer of Dragons".

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I only like one or two of the games. (Please specify which ones)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

Tomorrow on January 31st, the fourth installment of the famous Double Dragon-franchise (on NES) will be released on Steam and on PlayStation 4.

Chronologically the game takes place after Double Dragon II: The Revenge, which is the final(!) game in the original NES trilogy. The graphics from DD1 and DD2 are re-used, along with new sprites added to the game.

Are you confused with the chronology of the games? I was in the beginning since I always took for granted that DD3 took place 1 year after DD2. But apparently the timeline looks like this since Arc Systems Works (famous for the Guilty Gear-series) bought the rights to the franchise:

Double Dragon ---> Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones ---> Double Dragon II: The Revenge ---> Double Dragon IV.​

All of the other DD-games (including the SNES-games Super Double Dragon and Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls) are omitted from the "new" timeline.

How many of you look forward to DD4? How many of you will replay DD2 just to increase the hype of the game?

2. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

I do remember playing DD in nes but i found another game called POW to be better than this.

Anyways the reuse of old graphics and new mode will defiantly appeal to its fans.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I bet you the "Mysterious Boos" is "Skullmaggedon" again :p

4. NintyRaccoon

It's this game, right?

I've never heard of P.O.W. - Prisoners of War before. But watching this SNK-game makes me curious about it, since the gameplay looks superior to the DD NES-series. While my DD-favourites from the NES era are DD1 and DD2, the platforming segments make the games less fun unless you're playing them with an emulator, or you're a veteran player with lots of patience.

Yeah, I guess DD4 will give older players lots of nostalgia.

I seriously doubt it. XD

Neon32 likes this.
  5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

A bit of an off topic response here:

I'm a bit curious why they decided to make a fourth game now, when there was a fifth game that came out on the SNES back in 1994:

or was that "V" pronounced as the letter "V" and not the Roman Numeral for five?

Granted this game was a poorly executed "Street Fighter" wannabe loosely based on the "Double Dragon" cartoon:

Also another game in this genre of particular interest would be "Bayou Billy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUZcbojyLBs

6. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

yep this is it :D.
    i really loved the gameplay , unlike DD in this the player could use weapons like knife or guns etc which can be obtained by defeating a enemy who had it or by exploring huts or enemy camps.

i really enjoyed playing it .

NintyRaccoon likes this.
  7. NintyRaccoon

Oh, it's not off topic at all. I did mention that the SNES games are omitted from the timeline, so of course we need to talk about them as well. I think it's the Roman Numeral for five.

Actually, Technos Japan (the original developer of the previous DD-games) had nothing to do with Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls. It was instead developed by Leland Interactive Media, a subsidiary of Tradewest which published the first NES game and the SNES game Super Double Dragon in the west. So the fifth game is all "American". Technos would later make its own head-to-head fighting game for Neo Geo, which itself was a non-canon game based on the live action movie.

I think it's understandable that both SNES games are omitted. Super Double Dragon felt like a reboot of the series where Marian was supposed to be a police woman (influenced by the comic books and the cartoon) while the fifth game deviated too much from everything. There are people who don't understand why Arc Systems Works didn't make a true sequel to the arcade games instead... But Marian died in the original version of DD2, so what is more to tell? At least she was resurrected at the end of the NES version of DD2.

But why retcon the timeline and put the third game before the second? The original chronology made more sense and even the original NES manual of DD3 acknowledged the fact that it took place one year after DD2.

I have never watched the DD cartoon before, but based on the intros alone I seriously think the cartoon is a complete joke. I'd rather watch the Super Mario cartoons instead. At least DiC got them right. As for the Zelda cartoon... Sure Link is annoying and immature now that I'm looking back at it, but it was watchable.

What do you think of the game, Cahos? I think the gameplay isn't as good as P.O.W.

I mean, how can an enemy still be standing after getting hit by a flying kick?

I can imagine. It's different from the other games of this era where you can explore the surroundings while the others can't.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

The NES (North American) release of the game was inferior to the Japanese original:

This version on the video has an English Fan Translation applied to it.

RFE - Addendum:

The Japanese version is note worthy because it has three different endings.

- Best ending.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrbPZyeaXY - Breaking the 4th wall ending.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7fmcR7o2Hc - Funny but considered the "Bad Ending".

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  9. NintyRaccoon

Those endings really make the Japanese version interesting.

Anyway, I've now tried both P.O.W. and Mad City. I personally think the gameplay of P.O.W. suits me better than Mad City since I can make "combo attacks" on enemies while Mad City requires me to use "hit and run tactics" similar to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game.

But I think it's odd that enemies can still be standing after a flying kick in both games because this mechanic makes that particular attack quite useless, especially when you're used to other brawlers such as the TMNT-games, Final Fight and Streets of Rage.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Okay going way off topic now but...

You should probably also look into the "River City Ransom" or "Nekketsu" in Japanese franchise as those are also games by Technos in the "brawler" genre. A bunch of these are a bit wacky though.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search?game=nekketsu

11. NintyRaccoon

You're still on topic, Cahos. ;)

I've actually played the NES- and GBA-versions - they're fun! My only problem with them is the chibi character designs because I'm forced to plan my attacks based on their reach. It feels like I have to stand really close to an enemy in order to score hits.