1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revolution Save File Errors

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by kafiltafish1, Sep 9, 2016.

1. kafiltafish1

kafiltafish1 Member

(Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this. I looked at other parts of the forum and this place seemed the most appropriate. I didn't find this same error either.)

Hi there. I'll try to provide as much info as I can from the start, so sorry if this is really long.

I'm using a R4i Gold 3DS flashcart with a Class 10 32 GB Sansdisk MicroSD card. The rom I'm using is "5560 - Dragon Quest VI - Realms of Revelation (U)". Whenever I try to start a new game, I get stuck at creating a save file. However, it doesn't sound like the rom has frozen because the music is still playing in the background. As a workaround, I tried playing the same rom on DeSmuMe, and was able to create a new game just fine. I then used that save file on the flashcart, and was able to play until getting turned to stone. The screen goes black (normal), and text showing someone screaming appears. I close the dialog, then nothing else happens. The screen remains black. I don't think it's AP kicking in because the game doesn't even loop back to the beginning. The rom just stays on a black screen. I could be wrong about the AP, though. I was able to circumvent this with DesSmuMe again, and put the save file back on the flashcart. It lets me save with DeSmuMe in a church, but then when I try to do this again on the flashcart, the game freezes in the middle of saving. I reload and the save file goes back to when I saved in the church on DeSmuMe, not the flashcart.

What I've tried so far:
    Using an AR code to bypass anti piracy (no difference, made sure it was enabled)
    Tried looking for AP patches (couldn't find any, they all seem to be taken down, then decided it wasn't AP)
    Checking the MicroSD and flashcart, both looked fine, and are pretty new
    Trying other games for similar errors, everything played perfectly

Again, sorry if this same topic has already been covered or if this is the wrong place to post this.

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

If you go to your flash cartridge official website, there should be a WOOD R4i GOLD v.1.64. Add that to your SD Micro, and play the game after first launching the WOOD interface, and make sure the save file under its setting is set to ".sav". Alternatively you can download YSMENU for R4i. And don't activate AP fix.

3. kafiltafish1

kafiltafish1 Member

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try this and tell you if I'm successful or not.

4. kafiltafish1

kafiltafish1 Member

Alright, I tried installing that version of the wood firmware. Unfortunately I was stopped at creating a new save file again. As for YSMenu, I can't seem to find a version that works with R4i. YSMenu can be launched, but when I try to open a .nds file, I get an unsupported DLDI error.

5. Prectorian

Make sure your ROM name = SAV name. Make sure under WOOD R4 setting the save file type is SAV not NDS.SAV. It should have recognized both the ROM & old SAV file, unless the SAV file is corrupted. Which you will be forced to restart from zero.

YSMENU: https://filetrip.net/file.php?id=33466 (choose manual download) there's a R4i_SDHC folder in there. As with WOOD R4.nds, launch YSMENU.nds first before launching the game rom. And make sure to back up your R4's original files on your computer.

Since I don't know exactly which R4i Gold you have, given you haven't mention the cart's official website name, you might end up having to try the R4i_Clone or even try TTMENU instead of YSMENU. Just read the txt document provided by RetroGameFan in that filetrip package.

6. kafiltafish1

kafiltafish1 Member

Ah, I neglected to include the website. Apologies. The website listed on the cartridge is www.r4ids.cn. I downloaded the Wood firmware from that same site, which is able to run on the cart just fine. I also should have mentioned this earlier, but none of the other roms on the cart have this same issue. It seems to only affect Dragon Quest VI.

As for YSMenu, I tried DSTTi-Clone TTMenu, R4i-SDHC YsMenu, and R4-Clone YsMenu. Neither the R4i_SDHC nor DSTTi-Clone versions could launch from Ysmenu.nds; they would stay on a white screen. The R4-Clone folder launched YSMenu, but had the unsupported DLDI name error.

EDIT: After checking the YSMenu compatibility list by RetroGameFan, I didn't see the flashcart's website mentioned, so I suppose it might not be supported.

7. Prectorian

Then just use WOOD R4. All DQ games have AP. In fact most NDS games does.

8. kafiltafish1

kafiltafish1 Member

Okay. Thanks for the help!