1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Dumping NDS ROMs (Wifi Method)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by necr0, Jan 19, 2013.

1. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Dumping NDS ROMs (Wifi Method)
    By: Xenirina

Due to the slowly dying Nintendo DS scene, I thought it would be a good idea to teach those who want to help out how to dump there games so they can keep the NDS era alive.
    This method is the Wifi method as I cannot do the 3-in-1 method.

Preparation

You need to prepare your DS system and computer to dump ROMs. You will also need to download some software.

To prepare the computer, make sure your security settings for Wifi is set to WEP or disabled.
    To do this, find out the gateway for your router. Simply Google '[Router name] Default Gateway'. That should bring up a few results. Hopefully one of those results will have something like this:

If you get that or something similar, great! Then paste it into your address bar. If a password box comes up, the username will most likely be 'admin' and the password 'password'. Unless you've changed it of course.

Now navigate your way to the wireless settings and disable or change your security settings to WEP (if it isn't already).

[​IMG]

This next step is optional, but I do recommend it. Get a FTP client.
    This will make your download a lot better. Simply download one (eg. FileZilla) and install it.

There is a thing or two to get your DS prepared.
    Firstly (and most obviously), make sure you can connect your DS to Wifi. This should be pretty easy so I'm not going to go into details.

You'll also need the dumping tool. There are quite a few, but the best is Wooddumper. Get the r85 version here.
    Once downloaded, extract it to wherever. Then copy the folder (with both files) to somewhere on your SD. Then put it into your flashcard and you're ready to go.

Dumping

Now that everything is prepared, it's time to dump.

[​IMG]

Boot up your flashcard in your DS and load Wooddumper. Make sure you load the normal version. We're not doing any Slot-2 dumps today!

[​IMG]

Once that's loaded, eject your flashcard and put in the card you want to dump. Then simply press 'A'.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hopefully you'll get something similar to the image. If you did, great. It's working.
    Now, enter the IP you see at the top into your address bar on FTP client (either one is fine).

[​IMG]

Then simply transfer the file to your computer on FTP or download the ROM via your browser.
    Take note of that save size!

Once it's finished downloading, you're done.
    Now you can upload or do whatever. Enjoy!

Thinking about dumping a game? Want to help out the community?
    Have a look at these undumped games lists.

USA
    http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34

EUR/Other Regions
    http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35

Have any of the games listed? Or know where you can get them? Then help out and dump them. We all appreciate it.
    Redumps of games are also fine to confirm old, "other" dumps. So don't fret if you have a game that's already being dumped.

If you wish to create a dump, please take careful pictures of the card (back and front, see this post) you are dumping. Including your name is optional.

Also, the Internet isn't needed during the dumping process.

Credits:

YWG & No-Intro: Wooddumper r85
    Nintendo: For supplying us a lovely ROM to dump

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Very nice Xenirina, grate work on this topic.

And yes I hope it dose help some people understand in how to dump some well left over games :)

And also may UnDumps NDS Games to look out for.

USA undumps

http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34

EUR / other contry UnDumps.

http://forums.no-intro.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35

If you have any of them Games, Then do your best to get them backup ;) following this guild.

Also to (Note) to save confusion, The Internet is not needed, as long as the IP connection is setup then your ready to go and backup the game to your harddrive .

3. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

^Thanks for the note Jhon.
    I'll add it to the guide tomorrow when I get access to the computer.

4. Jhon 591

No problem, word it in your own words also, make it sound much better ;D

When I first try, I was told it was needed ??? , after some trying it was not needed at all ;) .

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

I'd re-word it anyway. I'm a perfectionist.
    Talking about Internet right? If so, then yeah. You don't really need it for the dumping. But to get the FTP client (if you want to use one) and editing the router security settings needs Internet.

6. Jhon 591

Yep, thats wright about internet.

I got a bit confused, when told it was needed, and many sites did not say that it was not at all.

So I left the idea a lone for a bit, and tryed again and when the connection IP gone though I was supprised.

Yep, It may confuse others thinking that it is, when realy it was not at all.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

router is on the local network, you do not need internet to edit the settings on it. In fact the settings page should not be accessible from the internet.

8. farcry31

farcry31 Well-Known Member

one more thing , you need to explain the preparation of wifi on the ds client.

when you have internet and game its straight forward , when you dont have internet not.

9. Jhon 591

Hum wonder if topics could be mearged between nds request and how to dump...

So if someone has the correct game and match game ID/serial, this should be good guild.

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

11. Jhon 591

12. jamespoo

jamespoo Member

/what flash cart is needed

13. Jhon 591

Most good ones will do, R4 / DSTT / Acekard est.

14. farcry31

all slot 1 cards will work

15. TBreaker

TBreaker Well-Known Member

I have two questions.

1. How long does it take to dump NDS games?
    2. Can I use Nintendos WiFi USB Connector for this method?

Thanks in advance.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

depends how big the game is.

17. Jhon 591

I can give you my estermated times of wifi dumping

Code:
    WoodDumper R85 est dumping times.

Using FlashFXP I have caulated est times of dumpimng.

My Max Dumping speed 185kb sec

8MB at 185KB/s max = 56sec
    16MB at 185KB/s max = 1 min 30 sec
    32MB at 185KB/s max = 3 mins
    64MB at 185KB/s max = 6.03 mins
    128MB at 185KB/s max = 12.06 mins
    256MB at 185KB/s max = 25.02 mins
    500MB at 185KB/s max = 50.06 mins

(Note) My router is plug direct into my PC by LAN cable at 100MB/s Speed.

Also it may depend on your wifi hardware setup on speed.

As for your second question, no I don't think Nintendo WiFi USB Connector can, are find any info on Google about it.

Just a basic wifi rooter and ftp setup.

PS: Any undump games are welcome :)

18. farcry31

1 time will depend on your setup

2 yes it can , but will be a hard time to do , better use your normal wifi router

19. TBreaker

TBreaker Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies.
    I asked because I wanted to use this to extract save files from retail carts and out of curiosity.
    I don't have any of the undumped games, only Harvest Moon DS (ABCP) (Rev 1), but thats not so important.

20. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

That's fine.
    Re-dumps of games are always welcome.