1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[ePSXe] Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (USA ver) keeps freezing up midgame

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by omgwut, Mar 24, 2018.

1. omgwut

omgwut Well-Known Member

So yeah, it happens randomly when I'm playing. When I change screens, pick up an item, or examine something, the game randomly freezes right there. Music is still playing, but nothing else happens. I tried changing to some different plugins but it didn't work. I've been using Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.77 and so far it's what I normally use. I've tried OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 but that gave me more graphical problems, and PeteOpenGL2 Tweaks 2.3 keeps saying there's no buffer available. I tried tinkering around with the special fixes but they don't seem to be helping.

I did a comparison test with the EU version and here's what I've noticed: EU looks uglier and has less framerate, but it doesn't freeze up like the USA version. The USA has higher detail and framerate, but it's making the game freeze. During the Live Selection events (where you have to make choices that affect the game later), when the screen does the inverse color special effect, the character models disappear in the US version. The EU version doesn't have this problem. I prefer playing the US version because of the access of cheat codes and faster framerate, but the freezes are kinda what ruins it for me.

Can anyone help me out?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

what graphics chip do you have? the opengl plugins are better suited to some graphics chips, while others work better with directx plugins.

3. omgwut

omgwut Well-Known Member

Uh, it's pretty bad. Intel HD Graphics Family. Playing on a laptop.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

that might explain it then, use pete's soft driver. Intel graphics doesn't handle openGL or directx properly.

5. omgwut

omgwut Well-Known Member

Okay, I didn't have this sort of freezing issue when playing Parasite Eve 2, Wild Arms 2, Megaman Legends 2, and Saga Frontier 2 but okay. Gonna test it out and report back.

EDIT: You mean P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver, right? Well when I finish setting up configurations on the video plugin my epsxe crashes.

EDIT2: Okay I SOMEHOW got it to work, it made the game ugly but it's still suffering from freezes.

EDIT3: ARGH SCREW IT I just learned how to "convert" the US codes to EU codes. Kinda. Some works, some don't. At least it's something.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018