1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Error has Occured R4 Dual Core 2014 Help!

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by SirJb, Jun 22, 2014.

1. SirJb

SirJb New Member

Hello,

Ive got a big problem and ive been busy with this for 2 days straight but cant seem to fix my problem.

Ok this is what i got.
    I bought a 2014 R4 Dual Core SDHC card, and it was working perfectly fine when i put all the Kernels on it and Moonshell, But i put some 3ds games on it and it didnt seem to work... so i tried updating it.
    I didnt knew the dual Core didnt supported 3ds games... so i screwed up.
    So i download a updater and tried to update to see if it will fix the problem, and it was stuck on the "deleting Device" part so i turn off the 3ds and then it gave the " an error has occured blablabla" crap.

So i tried to update it on a DS LITE and yet again it was stuck while updating on deleting device.
    So i tried formatting the whole SD card and put all the files back on it from www .r4isdhc. com/2014-r4isdhc-dual-core/ Which is all the lastest files.
    And i checked to see if its a fake, its not cause it did work before but i broke it somehow. and i checked the pictures to see if its fake.

So i got a few questions:

1. Can this be fixed? yes: How? No: Why?
    2. Do all r4 cards which i put in my 3ds now all say "an error has occured"? (cause ive been thinking about buying a R4 Gold Deluxe Edition which supports 3ds ROMS) Cause i dont have any other to try if they do.
    3. if i go try and update it, it says "update from uknown version" What does that mean?

Can you guys please help me with this dillemma? i dunno what to do..

p.s sorry for my bad english im dutch.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you probably bricked the flashcart by turning off the power while it was updating. other flashcarts should still work, but bear in mind if you get another, if your 3ds is above firmware 4.5.0 you will not be able to play 3ds roms on it regardless of what cart you get.

3. SirJb

SirJb New Member

1.st When i was updating on my 3ds the first time it took like 10-20min and nothing happend.
    2nd what is bricked?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

bricked is turned into a brick, i.e useless. It's not usually a repairable condition.

5. andrew11214

andrew11214 Member

This problem can be fixed , and i know a tutorial about how to fix it , but this site not allow me post link . so ,,,,,

6. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

It is bricked, as you shouldn't have power off the console mid-way. Sometimes it stays in "idle" for sometime before proceeding, which is why there usually mentioned the process could take several minutes or longer, thus also why before proceeding you're required to charge the console fully.

Also as Loony said, that cartridge isn't for running 3DS rom. Just because a cartridge has a "3DS" in it's name. Doesn't necessarily mean it is for playing 3DS rom, is confusing and misleading but that's just the way it is. Majority just meant it's compatible for use on a 3DS console to play NDS rom. In addition to that, if your 3DS console's firmware is above v.4.5.0, don't bother looking for a 3DS flash cartridge to play 3DS rom. So far none will work on a firmware above v.4.5.0. So that R4i Deluxe 3DS cart is a BIG NO GO! if your 3DS console is above the max spec supported. If it's below v.4.5.0, go ahead and buy one that can run 3DS rom, else don't bother!

In any case, yes, there is a way to solve the bricked cartridge issue, but it's not 100% fool proof. It might just not fix it at all even if done, and potentially could cause the other cartridge to also become bricked. So if you want to still try after knowing the risk I mentioned (and You can't hold me liable if the worst should happen!), you'd need;
    1. a 1st generation or 2nd generation NDS console; in your case you got an NDSL which is 2nd generation
    2. another flash cartridge preferably a twin cartridge (same brand-type), other brand maybe use too

Again remember doing this could very well either unbricked the bricked cart, or cause the other cart to also become bricked!

Reading from your initial post, I can tell you have no.1 covered but no.2 isn't as you don't have other flash cartridge. True? Well it's a dead end if that's the case. If you do however have a spare cartridge, then you may try doing these steps;

1. Full format the SD Micro used on the bricked flash cartridge (I'll refer to this cart as Cart X)
    2. Back up the SD Micro content of the spare cartridge to your computer (I'll refer to this cart as Cart Y)
    3. Download the official kernel/firmware for Cart X from it's official website, and extract it to it's SD Micro
    4. Copy the same kernel/firmware in step 3 to Cart Y's SD Micro
    5. Make sure NDSL is fully charged!!!!!
    6. Load Cart Y to the NDSL, and load the installer, but DO NOT PRESS START/GO/OK when prompted to begin the download
    7. Eject Cart Y without shutting down the console
    8. Insert Cart X into the NDSL wile leaving the screen still on
    9. Press START/GO/OK and allow the process to complete
    10. Hopefully by the end of the process, your Cart X should be unbricked and again usable.

In the case of buying a new flash cartridge to play NDS rom (not 3DS rom!), you'll need to make sure there's an update provided for it to run on at least 3DS firmware v.7.1.0 or even better v.7.2.0 or higher, and you'll need to do the initial kernel/firmware installation using your NDSL not your 3DS if your 3DS console is already above v.4.5.0. Else it will not be installed properly, thus will give you that error message again.

So there, that pretty much sums up what you need to know.

7. SirJb

SirJb New Member

Ok so for now i kind of destroyed that card. :(
    Ill just accept that fate.
    And i kinda figured out that compatible for 3ds doesnt mean it plays 3ds roms. A bit too late though
    And i dont have a lower software then 4.5 so i wont be able to use such cards.
    Unless there is a way to downgrade your 3ds. But there probarly isnt.
    So i just orded a new r4 card exactly the same and i have a 3ds with version 7.1.5 etc.
    1. Which steps should i now take to prevent this from happening again?
    2. How come my previous r4 card worked without any update?
    3. Does that mean it works fine and i dont have to update to play normal nds games?