1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Flash Carts: A Guide to What to Avoid and What to Buy

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by LuckyTrouble77, Jun 9, 2010.

1. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT

With the introduction of the 3DS all over the world, certain people will go out of their way to trick others. Any cart that says "Supports 3DS ROM's" or "3DS Game Compatible" is nothing but a fraud. There is no way to play the 3DS games that have been dumped at this point in time. Basically, every 3DS cart claiming to support 3DS ROM's is a SCAM.

Please use common sense and enjoy your flash cart.

Welcome to the Flash Cart Buy and Avoid Guide.
    Make this your first stop when considering the purchase of a new flash cart, or even just when checking to see if your current cart is any good.

Go straight to the bottommost spoiler if you are only interested in seeing which flash cart you should purchase.

I don't just want links to what you consider might possibly be a bad cart. Unless it is obviously ridiculous (anything with 3DS Game Compatibility advertised for it, for example), it will go under questionable carts until otherwise listed.

"Fine" does not mean "Buy." Most of the carts on this page is just stating it's fine if you have them. They won't brick your DS unless otherwise stated, and carts with poor compatibility will go under avoid. Note: For things such as the R6, I'll just need a little info about what games the most recent firmware can play, and even when the firmware was last updated. Obviously a cart with nothing but official firmware that hasn't been updated in a year or two is better off being put on the avoid list.

One more note: The standing of a cart can change at anytime for the most part with the exception of the carts listed under the avoid section. Once a cart manages to get under the "Avoid" section, it will be very difficult to remove it from that section.

Sites to Avoid

Every site in the below spoiler sells carts that are fake, cheap, or otherwise don't actually exist. Do not buy from these sites.

http://www.3dsmodchips.com/
    http://www.edgei-ds.cn

R4

R4's

R4 cards come in an incredible amount of forms. I'll have the below separated into R4's people are happy with, and R4's that nobody should ever touch. All because R4 is in the name doesn't mean it is instantly trash, it just means there is better out there in most cases.

Fine Carts

R4 Original
    - 2gb capacity is the main limitation of this cart. Otherwise it has compatibility on par with the top carts with the addition of Wood R4.
    R4 SDHC
    R4i SDHC v1.4

Avoid These Carts

These carts are either just flat out ridiculous, or have proven to be very unreliable for other users in the past.

R4i Advance
    R4-III
    R4 Platinum
    R4i DSiXL 3D v1.45
    R4i DSiLL 3D v1.45
    R4 King
    R4iTT DSiXL 3D
    R4 YES Version
    R4 Christmas Edition
    R4i DSi LL Upgrade
    Hyper R4i
    R4i NDSILL 3D
    R4i SDHC v2.10T
    R4 SDHC v2.10T
    R4i Gold
    R4i Neo
    R4 Ultra
    R4i "Chrismas" Edition

TTDS

TTDS'

TTDS has proven to be for the most part reliable, especially with the addition of the ever updated YSMenu.

Fine Carts

TTDS
    TTDSi
    TTDSi Gold

Questionable Carts

With very little input, I just can't be sure about these carts. User input would be appreciated from actual owners to refine this section.

TTDS Advance

M3

M3's

Originally just another R4 clone, the M3 has secured its place among other flash carts.

Fine Carts

M3DS Real
    M3i Zero

Questionable Carts

With very little input, I just can't be sure about these carts. User input would be appreciated from actual owners to refine this section.

M3i SDHC
    M3i Upgrade
    M3 Upgrade
    M3L

E7

E7

Avoid These Carts

This cart no longer has new firmware updates, there is no 3rd party firmware for it, and the official site no longer exists. It's best to avoid this cart.

E7DS

G6

G6

Fine Carts

G6DS Real

R6

R6's

Avoid These Carts

Fragility and poor support makes these cards not worth owning.

R6DS Silver
    R6DS Gold

Firecard

FireCard DS

Avoid These Carts

The FireCard has little to no support anymore and isn't supported by most anybody. You are better off avoiding this cart altogether.

FireCard DS

N5

N5's

Avoid These Carts

The N5 is notorious for bricking DS's by blowing a fuse in the system. Avoid anything related to N5 at all costs.

N5 DS
    N5i DS
    Or anything related to 'N5'.

iSmart

[color=green][b]Fine Carts[/b][/color][b]
    iSmart Premium
    [/b]

[b]Datel[/b]

[spoiler=Datel Carts]
    [color=blue][b]Datel Carts[/b][/color][b]

The Datel Carts are just poor carts overall for not being able to play commercial roms. You are much better off with just about anything else.

[color=red][b]Avoid These Carts[/b][/color][b]

For lack of compatibility, it is recommended that these carts be avoided.

Datel Games 'n Music
    Datel MAX Media Launcher
    Or anything related to 'Datel'.
    [/b][/b][/spoiler][b][b]

[b]Acekard[/b]

[spoiler=Acekard]
    [color=blue][b]Acekard's[/b][/color][b]

Overall, Acekard is easily one of the top flash cart providers. There is one notable fop though listed below.

[color=red][b]Avoid These Carts[/b][/color][b]

Only one cart is listed below, and that is for one reason; the other Acekard carts are all very reliable and on par the Acekard2i, while the cart listed below is pretty much complete garbage.

Acekard 2
    [/b][/b][/spoiler][b][b]

[b]iTouch[/b]

[spoiler=iTouch]

[color=blue][b]iTouch[/b][/color][b]

iTouchds
    iTouch2 Enhanced
    iTouch2 Regular
    [/b][/b][/spoiler][b][b]

[b]EZ Flash[/b]

[spoiler=EZ Flash (Slot-1 Series Only)]

[color=blue][b]EZ Flash[/b][/color][b]

EZ Flash V
    EZ Flash V+
    EZ Flash Vi
    [/b][/b][/spoiler][b][b]

[b]Best Carts on the Market[/b]

[spoiler=Did your cart end up on the avoid list, or are you just plain in need of a good flash cart?]

Only the best carts on the market have been listed here. This is not just opinion, this is fact. There are no better carts in existence then the ones listed below.

[color=red][b]ADDENDUM: The CycloDS and CycloDSi have been stricken through for a good reason. As of today, December 24th, 2011, the carts haven't received anything that resembles support in months. Team Cyclops has disappeared, seemingly entirely. Despite the fact that new releases are few and far in between, as of now, for different reasons, an active team is very important. If Team Cyclops ever returns, I may suggest these carts once again. As of now, they are not worthy of a recommendation.[/b][/color]

[s][b][color=blue]CycloDS[/color][/b]
    - Easily the best flash cart on the DS. Best support with incredible compatibility.
    [b]Does not work on the DSi.[/b][/s]

[b][color=blue]Supercard DSTwo[/color][/b]
    - The best cart on the market. Has the ability to emulate GBA from slot 1, and SNES from slot 1 better than any homebrew emulator to date. With many excellent plugins, as well as great game compatibility and media capabilities, this is the cart to go for. If it lands outside of your price range though, check below.
    [b]Compatible with all DS models and the 3DS.[/b]

[b][color=blue]Acekard2i[/color][/b]
    - Another wonderful cart with the incredible AKAIO firmware. A must have for any DSi owner who doesn't care about GBA emulation.

[s][b][color=blue]CycloDSi[/color][/b]
    - The only flash cart on the market that is able to operate in DSi mode. 100% compatibility with DS games with homebrew developers taking advantage of DSi mode features make this a desirable flash cart.
    [b]Compatible with all DS models and the 3DS.[/b][/s]

[b][color=blue][url=http://shoptemp.net/products/R4i-Gold-1.4.1.html]R4i Gold 3DS[/url][/color][/b]
    - Don't be fooled by the R4 name. This is a wonderful cart for both the 3DS and DSi, as well as the DSlite or DS Phat. No matter what you have, this will work for you. It runs the fantastic Wood kernel, giving it top notch game compatibility. For the price, it's hard to beat. [b]Note: The page I link to is for the correct R4i Gold cart. Beware of imitators. Only the product from the following site is legitimate: http://www.r4ids.cn/
    [/b][/spoiler][b]

Please post below with any comments, especially on carts under the questionable standing. Once again, please own it or have very solid proof that the cart should be avoided before you just run in screaming "AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!".

Anyway that you can help me to improve this thread would be much appreciated.[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Re: Flash Carts to Avoid: Refined

I'm liking this refined version of the original.
    Much more organized and not saying everything except the ones not posted suck.

3. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Better then the first one, but I would change the name to something like 'try to not buy these flashcard'. If I would read the title, I would think they would explode or something :p

4. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

I'd say to avoid any kind of Clone.
    Just saying.
    For Example: TTDSi Gold and the R4 Clones
    Also there is TTDS Advance

5. bullmad43

bullmad43 New Member

woo i am glad i have an acekard2i

6. LuckyTrouble77

That is where the last thread failed. There is no need to truly "avoid" many of the above carts. As "Fine" doesn't mean "Buy", clone doesn't necessarily mean garbage. This may eventually turn into more of a "Here's the best, and if you have this, you should upgrade to this" thread, but for now, I think it is doing its job.

7. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

Better then mine! You can use the pics in my thread if you like.

8. LuckyTrouble77

I actually planned to. xD I'll start including the images later to complete it a little more, along with additional research of some of the carts to give them a place. This will probably be more of a flash cart guide. Once the images get added, I'll create a buy section, change the title of the thread, and point those with bad carts in the right direction.

9. linkfan551

linkfan551 Well-Known Member

The R6 is made by Team NeoFlash. The card build quality sucks (Drop it and it'll break in half) and the support is lacking. Their latest update for game fixes / firmware fixes was on June 8th, 2010. You may think this is good, right? However, their last update before this was in March of 2009. Sooo I wouldn't count on them, IMO.

10. LuckyTrouble77

Fragility is already enough really, but that is just awful support. I'll go ahead and add them to the avoid section. I was already most of the way towards just throwing the R6, G6, and E7 on the avoid, but I'm giving them a chance first. I believe those are just awful R4 clones though. Pretty much some of the lowest quality ones really.

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You may want to add the Acekard 2 since it was a piece of crap (if people can even find it still).
    It's the Acekard 2.1 and 2i that are the good ones.

12. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

Btw, you should use spoiler tags ;)

13. LuckyTrouble77

This will be more of a guide when I'm done then. :D

Sounds good, will make that first post a little less.....long.

14. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

Your thread is coming along well.
    I will try and gather information about some of the questionable cards.

15. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You should add the EZ Flash V series as well.

16. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

I looked at LinFox Domain about the E7
    It says that it's just another R4 Clones
    Also it has a link to the official Site and the official site doesn't even work anymore

Also the E7 section was updated in 2009

So It's best for everyone to avoid E7

17. freehand01

freehand01 Well-Known Member

you should add EDGE and EDGEi in that list, all I know is that the EDGe cart is a pretty good clone of the CycloDS, so I'll suggest that you add it in must buy...

18. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

Another Questionable card is iTouch

19. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I'd avoid the TTDS carts as well, I delete dozens of comments a day from people who complain that their TTDS not working with games.

20. game4nds

game4nds Active Member

supercard flashcart should add,thought the price is a little high,and also dsiplayer