1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Flash Carts: A Guide to What to Avoid and What to Buy

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by LuckyTrouble77, Jun 9, 2010.

1. BandaNanda

BandaNanda New Member

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'm just overly cautious about these things. I'd be happier if it was paid as a paypal transfer as it's not so much the risk of not getting the item I'm worried about as the risk of credit card abuse. Some of the seller sites I've found since my first post seem.....well, just not quite right.

Possibly the dumbest question asked on this forum, so apologies - but has trading on the empty flashcart (with no games) been deemed illegal then? If so, then there presumably would be the added possibility of seizure if the item was being imported from outside the EU?

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Oh, there's always a chance of seizure as the item passes through customs wherever it may be. In most cases, the item is perfectly safe, so I wouldn't worry too much, but there is the possibility. Especially over, in I believe it's only the UK for this, but R4 specifically is illegal. Assuming that this spreads to all parts of the flash cart world wouldn't be a bad idea. Most that ship from China ship inconspicuous packages, generally keeping them safe and less suspect for investigation. I can't say if seizures have risen since the outlaw, since there were no stats really to begin with.

The problem is rare though, so I wouldn't waste my time worrying too much. Unless you're buying a DSTwo, you won't be out more than $10 or $12 (USD, of course) anyways. As for the PayPal problem, that option hasn't been removed from Chinese flash cart sellers because they don't want it. PayPal has been freezing most Chinese seller accounts, many of them being the sellers of items deemed illegal in one part of the world or another. With the crackdown, they've had to resort to other methods, none nearly as safe as PayPal, sadly, but your information should still be safe enough to not need to worry, regardless of the payment method granted.

If you aren't already, you can use Shoptemp as an excellent resource for finding a store, and maybe even a deal on the cart you're looking for. Just give it a shot and see what you can find. I'd be lying if I said the entire process was without risk, but it's minimal and easily fixable if anything goes wrong, with plenty of safeguards to make sure you're on the reliable route along the way.

To end, sorry if this is a bit disjointed. Just typing this up before heading to bed. I believe I hit on everything somewhere in there, but if I missed anything, feel free to remind me. If there are any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm happy to help.

3. Mr.Heuristic

Mr.Heuristic Active Member

AceKard all the way for me !!! .... easy to unblock ... fast loading ... + replay action ....
    Media compatible (.mp3 music / .dpg movies ) using moonshell stable)
    Metal jacket (sturdy / strong construction) ... not plastic crap

An AceKard will last longer than an R4i card in the upgrade cycle world (LOL)

4. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

I have an R4 Original....It works fine but its limited to 2 gb storage space....
    Is there any possibility to make a 4gb microSD work on my R4???

Wen i tried 4gb,the page said 'Loading...'
    Nothing else....

5. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

R4 original only run 1Gb and 2Gb SD Micro.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

4GB and up are usually SDHC cards, which are different internally to plain SD cards. The original R4 cannot read them and there is no way around this. 4GB non-SDHC cards do exist but they are exceptionally rare as they were replaced by SDHC, which are cheaper to manufacture.

7. Mr.Heuristic

Dark Infernape ... you need to update your card !!!!
    ... We here run R4i-3DS cart's with 32GB uSDHC ....... no problems !!!!
    2GB is Lamo . . .
    Your /// uSDHC = Probably class 2 as well (=not good) . . . =susceptible to file fragmentation problem / issues ????
    Update your cart & uSDHC my friend !!!!!

8. Loonylion

class refers to the write speed. fragmentation is not an issue on any flash based media.

9. Mr.Heuristic

It can become an issue if you delete many small game files (leaving small sized chunks of available file space) on your uSDHC
    Then a large size game file/s is extracted to the uSDHC
    (Spreading the games file all over the disk in a scattered way ... small sized chunks (fragments) = (Not contiguous)

Regular deleting of games without backing up / reformatting and re-loading your uSD/uSDHC memory volume
    will cause problems for some R4i-SDHC.COM cart users ability to load games

This is why we many cart users Backup to PC, then use Panasonic Formatter, and then restore games
    Especially after many game deletes .... when the uSD/uSDHC is greater than 75% full
    The more you fill your uSD/uSDHC - the more this fragmentation is a problem for you

Class # refers to read and write speed of the uSDHC
    Depending on what kernel / Firmware / Cart you use - This can be in issue on many cart O/S platforms

Your old R4 cart only supports uSD not uSDHC memory

We here use larger GB uSDHC volumes to accommodate the many,
    .dpg movies and .mp3's my kids have (played using moonshell 2.10 stable)
    I use Xilisoft PC software app to covert movies from Avi to Dpg format

10. Loonylion

class is write speed only.

fragmentation is not an issue on flash media because the seek time is effectively zero no matter what part of the media it's accessing. Non-contiguous files are only a problem on mechanical hard disks which have to spend time seeking to the next part of the file (typically around 7ms for each seek).

repeatedly formatting flash media burns up the write cycles and causes it to wear out much quicker.

11. Mr.Heuristic

Seek time is not/never ZERO "laughable" ( a uSDHC acts just like a mechanical disk) but they both have I/O throughput issues)
    admittedly less of an issue with uSDHC than mechanical disks ( that have physical / movement, head sweep to access, delay times)
    You are mis-informed somewhere along the line buddy
    Compared to mechanical disks ... admittedly the uSDHC has to a lesser degree ... access time issues

So why, when you get any one of these errcode=
    messages after extracting a game to a near full uSDHC volume - When 1st trying the game out
    Why . . . does ... backing up / reformatting and re-loading your uSD/uSDHC - FIXIT ???
    I have been supporting homebrew cart's for (an opposition website) for 3 years - And I am tech support for memory related products
    And have been in the IT industry for over 33 years
    My knowledge is firm and always questionable

I know where you are coming from loonylion ,
    but class is king (minimum class 4) But Class6 is better (Team Micro) from Taiwan
    Game Dumpers use Class6 from (Team Micro) from Taiwan
    They know what is best practice

Wear out has become a minor issue, as uSDHC cards are sooo much more reliable than they were
    I have sold many carts / cards with no issues of wear out / just straight out uSDHC failure (the whole uSDHC fails)
    not bits of it . . . (indicative of wear-out) (excessive toggling of memory bit cells) . . . times have changed
    Post Merge: [time]1337004363[/time]
    Looks like loonylion and Mr.Heuristic have struck some common ground (we both understand) our stuff
    " RESPECT " to loonylion .... not often I get to converse at this technical level
    You members are lucky to have loonylion as an Administrator
    We are both right here

12. Loonylion

I never said seek time was zero, I said it is EFFECTIVELY zero, i.e too small to have any easily measurable effect.

reformatting fixes filesystem corruption, and recreates the FAT. Thats why it fixes microsd cards. Not because it eliminates fragmentation, which as said before is irrelevant on flash media.

flash media is still limited lifespan, (10,000 or 100,000 write cycles for typical removable flash media cards) and they make use of write levelling mechanisms to even the wear on the individual cells. Formatting the card will write to ALL the cells, which results in a relatively substantial number of the write cycles being burned up. for this reason flash media should not be formatted unnecessarily.

Note that the above is also why windows vista/7 'readyboost' feature is a completely stupid idea, using a flash media device as ram/swap will kill it in record time.

What you're saying about them lasting longer isn't actually the cells being more reliable per se, its the fact that there are more of them (when a cell wears out, the wear levelling algorithm simply replaces it with a spare one. newer cards have a larger pool of spares). When the spares run out, the card dies.

13. Mr.Heuristic

I think you just convinced me of something ... ????
    According to industry Spec's MTBF (mean time to between failures ) = Better than ever !!!!
    .... with uSDHC technology = 300% ???? An increase of extreme reliability ... considering new density ????
    The greater the class of uSDHC ... the more reliable the resource !!!

14. Loonylion

MTBF is used for mechanical hard disks. flash media uses read/write cycles (which is a little bit misleading because its only writes that wear out the cells).

Class has nothing to do with reliability.

15. Mr.Heuristic

I shall close on this . . .
    I know what I know
    You know what you know !!!
    We have an in difference in knowledge ... It remains ! ! ! ???
    But I will not challenge your indifferent viewpoint Bud ! ! !

16. coleraine

coleraine New Member

Hi all ,I am new to ds flash carts,I would like to know a good one to buy that is just a matter of pluging it into the DS Lite with no hard setup to do,i am not sure how to update firmware.
    I want it for my little boy /5 years old to add some simple game roms.
    Hope someone can guide me ,after a google search brought up to many different versions ,i dont know which one.
    Thanks.

17. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

The link i am supplying is to a good cart and a trustworthy UK website http://www.cheapr4i.com/r4i-gold-3ds-for-nintendo-3ds-v4108-and-dsi-v144-p-184.html

If you are not in the UK then this is anoyher trustworthy website http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/store/dsi_r4i_gold_slot-1_flashcard_type_d__www_r4ids_cn__3ds_1_4_4_compatible_wood_3ds.html

18. coleraine

coleraine New Member

will these cards play downloaded rom games by just adding to a ,icro sd card,or do i have to update this card to play games on a ds lite.
    http://www.r4icarduk.com/categories/R4-Cards-for-DS/

19. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

You will need just a microSD card

EDIT: If the R4 isn't marked as SDHC then the microSD card can be no larger than 2GB

20. Loonylion

its not a good idea to get an R4, as there are many different R4s, and most of them are crap. The Acekart 2i is a much better choice. Whatever flashcart you get, you will need a microsd card, and you will also need to install firmware on the microsd. This is simply a matter of downloading the files and copying them onto the microsd card.