1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Flash Carts: A Guide to What to Avoid and What to Buy

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by LuckyTrouble77, Jun 9, 2010.

1. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I realize, but it loads faster then flat out posting the images, at least for me anyways.

2. johnx

johnx Well-Known Member

Yeah I think it does.
    Well best of luck with this thread.

3. LuckyTrouble77

As it's the weekend now, this thread is gonna get majorly changed (or at the very least fixed up a little).

As always, all input is appreciated. All flash carts have a place in this thread also, so don't be afraid to suggest a new section or cart to go on the list.

4. useurcamera

useurcamera Active Member

there's nothing much wrong with the aceakrd 2. it'sjust not dsi compatible hmmm

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard of the 2?
    It was an utter failure on behalf of the Acekard team. :(
    Then, the 2.1 came out which solved the issues of the Acekard 2.
    Then, then 2i came out when the DSi came out shortly after its release.

6. linkfan551

linkfan551 Well-Known Member

G6DS Real, iTouch series, M3DS Real, M3iZero, R4iRTS, R4i SDHC

All these cards are by one team: the M3 Team. The G6/M3DSReal cards use the same firmware (Touchpod), however the G6 does not have an ingame menu. This does not mean they are bad cards.

The M3 team kind of screwed themselves by having so many cards to support, and they are slowly dying out. Most of their supported cards get updates on the same day with the same fixes.

The iTouch is their budget card, as they say, but you can find the M3 for not much more, so I don't know why it's said as such.

Note that I have never had either a G6 or iTouch, or a R4i, this is just information I found.

7. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Don't forget: iTouch cards have a GBA emu!

8. Kaptan

Kaptan Well-Known Member

I purchased the r4i SDHC v 1.4 as my first cart and wouldn't recommend it. The cart stopped working in less than a year. My Acekard 2i is so much better.

9. LuckyTrouble77

But they don't support commercial NDS roms, do they?

I was pretty iffy about those R4i SDHC's already. They are probably all basically the same product, so I'll throw them on avoid.

10. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

Yo LuckyTrouble, could you please add this to the N5 section:
    'When you see a N5, do one of these things:
    1. Try and run away as hard as you can.
    2. Try to destroy it with all your power.

Just for fun :p

11. DraikenTalkos

DraikenTalkos Member

I use an R4i Gold borrowed from a friend of mine, but so far, I haven't found much to go wrong that wasn't usually me being hasty with file transfers. I don't know what the limitations on the cart are mainly because I only own a 1GB MicroSD card, but so far, it plays most of the games I've put on it. The only games I've had any trouble playing with have been those with anti-piracy features listed in that handy thread here on the forums.

I'm still rather new when it comes to flash carts, but since the R4i Gold was listed under "Questionable" and there was a request for user input, I thought I'd throw in my few cents about the flash cart. I'm not sure what other information I should/can provide, but I'll answer questions about it to the best of my ability.

-Draiken Talkos

12. LuckyTrouble77

Check the N5 section. ;)

What games specifically can't it play? Just give me a short list of examples. If it has issues with most games that have AP, I'm probably gonna throw it on avoid.

13. DraikenTalkos

DraikenTalkos Member

I should have said what I meant. >_<
    It's not that games are "unplayable", but for some games, it has trouble playing them unpatched.

Games Tried So Far:
    + Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (from looking around the forums though, it seems that this is more of hardware problem rather than a problem with the cart itself)
    + Spirit Tracks is questionable at the moment as I may have downloaded a patched version of the game right off the bat. I'll check this one just in case.
    + Medarot DS: Kuwagata ; so far, I haven't gotten this one to work, but I'll see if it's not just me being technologically unsavvy with patches.

I haven't played Chronotrigger DS yet, but I'll download it and try it out; I'll edit this post later to see how it works.

14. LuckyTrouble77

Portrait of Ruin is an interesting one. Different firmwares and carts can't seem to run it at full speed. Spirit Tracks has AP that can only be bypassed naturally by a handful of carts at this point still. You'll probably need a patch. Chrono Trigger works if you use the (J) version. It conveniently has full English as a language option. Medarot DS has AP issues that I haven't been keeping track of.

How is it with games such as DIY, Heart Gold/ Soul Silver, and other more popular titles with AP? Are there working patches for games such as those on your cart? Does your cart receive any firmware upgrades, or do you have to completely depend on patches for the most part?

15. DraikenTalkos

DraikenTalkos Member

WarioWare DIY: Black screen upon loading.

SoulSilver: Only played for 13 minutes, but so far, so good. I'll amend this statement if anything goes wrong later.

Firmware:
    Using the R4i firmware, latest update was May 30, 2010; one before that was January 21, 2010.

Use of patches is on a case-by-case basis, and the few games I play that require patching have had patches made available because of others who have encountered the problems much sooner than I have.

EDIT: Updated firmware. WarioWare won't work unpatched.

16. LuckyTrouble77

That's nearly six months between firmware updates, and it can't even run D.I.Y which 90% of carts can at this point except for R4 clones. I think I'm gonna throw it on "Avoid" because of the fact that Soulsilver has special AP (freezes at certain event intervals), so I'm sure it is still very present even in the most recent firmware.

That and the fact that there are just so many better carts out there that get their updates far more frequently. I understand it can play the bulk of games, but so can most R4 clones, it is just the fact that even with popular patches that they can't seem to always get them working. I believe somebody was having issues to no end with DIY and eventually just gave up with their R4i Gold as even after the most recent update it didn't work even with a pre-made save.

17. DraikenTalkos

DraikenTalkos Member

*shrug* Understandable. As I said in my first post, the R4i Gold I'm using is borrowed from a friend of mine (reason being was that he had a better cart and the R4i was spare XD ).

I did my part in providing input since I'm not interested in most of the more popular games, so I'm glad I could help in some respect. lol

18. LuckyTrouble77

Thanks for the input. If it was free and plays what you want, then it is good for you. :)
    If you ever get the chance, you should upgrade, but really, if you are only interested in older titles (pretty much #4000 and under) that don't have AP, then it isn't really needed.

19. knightkev777

knightkev777 New Member

Hi I just want you to know that I have an r4i-sdhc upgrade 1.4 card and it has the best support team and is updated often it also works with 99% of the games 2 the website for the card is www.r4i-sdhc.com it is original not a clone of any kind

20. LuckyTrouble77

One: Somebody has already come in and stated the exact opposite of what you just said.
    Two: It is a clone, and apparently a poor one at that.

It is where it will stay.