1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Fool-Proof .RAR Tutorial (now with pictures)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Almo, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

OK ive seen people are still struggling with .RAR tutorials so ive thrown together this for complete beginners.
    An important note: WinRAR does NOT require you to buy it to continue to use it, it will nag you when you open it but purchase is not necessary.

OK here is an absolutely fool-proof .RAR tutorial.

The roms that you download from romUlation.net are contained inside a compressed archive, similar to a .zip file. These archive are usually in .rar or .7z format. To use your rom you first need to extract it from the archive.

To extract them, first you need a program:

If you run windows download from here: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar370.exe
    If you run a Mac download here: http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/

OK now that you have installed WinRAR right-click on your file that you have downloaded (this will likely be XXXX - GamesName (U)(BobbyJohn).rar)
    Scroll down to 'Extract here'.
    [​IMG]
    WinRAR will then extract your file/s

The next step is usually not necessary, only a few ROMs downloaded through the forum requires this. Skip to the next image if you downloaded the ROM via the site.

If the extraction turns up a .nds file then this is what you want to send to your Flash Cart or open with an emulator.
    If the extraction turns up another .RAR files or a series of .RAR files then DO NOT PANIC!!!!
    Simply Right click the first .RAR file in the series (this will be XXXXXXX.R00 or similar).
    [​IMG]
    Scroll down to 'Extract here' and WinRAR will extract the files and the result should be...

A .NDS FILE! (or other file if you downloaded something other than a NDS rom, e.g. .ISO,.MDF,.BIN, ect.)
    [​IMG]

Note there may be a txt or info file along with the ROM, in the form of a .nfo file, this contains release information and is not required to run the game. Just ignore it, or if curious about the contents of such a file, rename it to .txt and open it, or get a program designed to view NFOs such as DamnNFOViewer.

If you hit an error then try re-extracting the first .RAR file, if this fails then re-download the ROM as it may have failed to download properly.
    If all of this fails check the forum to see if anyone else is having problems
    If not try re-installing WinRAR.

Notice: WinRAR will claim to expire after 30 days, but it will work perfectly fine after this period, it is not absolutely required to purchase the program.

2. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Well-Known Member

Re: Fool-Proof .RAR Tutorial

Great tutorial, Almo.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

probably a waste of time seeing as no-one reads the one we already had. Much easier just to make a whiny post and hope someone spoon-feeds them.

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Well loony if you sticky them both to the top of every single section then people have no reason to miss them.

5. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

But somehow, miraculously, they do miss them. :p

6. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

Anyway this one was a lot easier to understand than the other ones, so good job!

7. ultra

ultra Guest

to make anything fool proof is to use pictures. apple proved that with their imac which was released during the late 90's [i believe 1997-2000] by having only 7-8 pictures which tell you how to set up the computer.

8. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol ok well ultra ill add pictures just for you.

9. Loonylion

'Make anything foolproof and nature will invent a better fool'

10. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ ok well now im gonna have to add a video, thanks loony :\

11. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Then they'll ask you to go to their house to do it for them.

12. 206

206 Member

My Bad ...had to update my winrar now it excepts .7z files

thanks for your help.... ::)

13. killerman

killerman Guest

Thank you!

I know now how to use WinRar, no one I know knew how to use it.

14. timothywong

timothywong Member

OO"

Anyway, great tut, even thought I've been using WinRAR for years now.. :p

WE CANT IGNORE THE NFO OR TEXT FILE!
    Are we just supposed to forget the people who supplied us with the ROM?

15. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ no we cant, however for people struggling to use winrar, let alone putting the right file onto thier flashcart i thought itd be better to leave it out.

16. Reider

Reider Modereider

I support a video if you want to take the time to make it though.

EDIT: Remembered it :p

17. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^lol dont you dare, it always happens to me!

I might consider making a vid later. Dont really have the time atm.

18. Loonylion

Excellent, plenty of experience :p

19. lepermessiah

lepermessiah Active Member

Shouldn't this be in the tutorial section?

-LM

20. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

no, current research shows that new people to the forum DO NOT look in the tutorials section for tutorials.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.