1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Fool-Proof .RAR Tutorial (now with pictures)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Almo, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpfg12

rpfg12 New Member

do the R4's work on the new dsi? :)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

No, however there is a DSi flashcart called the R4i.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Presumed to be a copy of the Acekard 2i or similar.

4. rullerton123

rullerton123 New Member

Thanks for the tutorial.

I'm new to downloading ROMs so followed your notes and everything looked fine until I switched on my DS and all I've got is two black screens with the word "LOADING..." on the top screen - it just stays like this.

Any ideas what I've done wrong???

Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Please don't go off on a tangent, use the technical help section instead.

6. SammyJP82

SammyJP82 New Member

Ok I may just be being stupid here, but the tutorial doesnt tell you how to do this on a Mc I follwed the link for Mac users as instructed but now I'm lost?!

It doesnt give u the option to extract files anywhere when u right click.

Anyone here whose done this on a mac and can help!??!?!

7. anandjones

Try using Stuffit Expander.

8. halfway

halfway New Member

I am new to the site. I was going to post a completely green question about which of the decompressed files I should transfer to the R4 cart, but this helpful guide has sorted it out for me.

Many thanks

9. luca08

luca08 New Member

hi

We have just purchased a cyclo dsevo , a 4g transcendmicro and a T-flash stick.

I'm not clear where to save the rar program to -onto the stick or on our main computer?

Also not clear how to download games. We thought we had it as we downloaded one but others won't play on the nintendo lite

What I did was
    found most popular games
    selected a game
    selected download
    saved it to the T-flash stick(E drive) with the micro chip inserted.
    Then my son put the micro in the cyclodsevolution

can anyone comment if we are doing it right
    Luca

10. Seph

You need to save the winrar program to your main computer, then install it.

Then the download process is like this:

Download a game and save it on your main computer.
    Follow the tutorial to extract the .nds file from inside the .rar file.
    Transfer the .nds file to memory card, insert it into the CycloDS and then start gaming!

11. lucky13_allie

lucky13_allie Member

Not sure if this is where I should post this... sorry new to the forum thing. But when i download the games for ds, it will say the file is like 32 mb, but when i download it and and play it on ds it will say the file is 64 mb, and sometimes it will even be almost 3 times the size it said it would be when I downloaded it. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong. If it is something wrong does anyone know how to fix it. It's not that big of a deal because all of the games play fine, but if it can be fixed I would like to, cause then I could get more then 2 times the games I have now on my sd cards. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any info on this for me. And again sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot.

12. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Perhaps this should have gone in a new thread but ill answer it anyway.

.rar format files are compressed, so usually the file inside, when extracted will be larger. As I understand with DS game carts they come in 3 (or maybe 4) specific cartridge sizes 32MB, 64MB and 128MB. This means that your NDs rom will always be one of those sizes. Its likely that much of the data is just a filler and it you use a rom trimmer you can usually cut them down in size, though sometimes this will cause issues with the rom.

13. anandjones

They can be compressed, they have all that redundant data built onto the ROM image when written to the cartridge. There are also 8,16,256MB sizes.

14. lalalaloser

lalalaloser New Member

15. Koddy

Koddy New Member

Does anyone know something about the games cut in more then one .rar in a big original .rar.
    Usually with a .sfv attached in the first .rar.
    Are they all the same full game in too many .rar?? Or do we have do to something to put them all together?? Or name all the .nds with different names or add a number??
    And what are those .sfv???

16. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

You have to have them together Koddy

17. Loonylion

you just extract one as normal and they will be combined. Ignore the one with .sfv

18. Seph

That is actually covered in the tutorial as well.

19. Koddy

Koddy New Member

Sorry Seph, Still had a doubt if I really had to open just one .rar but got it now.

But I'm always curious to know how things work and why something's done someway...
    So I would like to know, if I have to open only one .rar, why are all the others there???
    Does WinRAR put the other .rar all together?
    Is there something in the first .rar I open that will kind of make them all together or complete them...??
    WHAT actually combine them??? How does it work??
    Why is it done that way?

Why does it look so ...loaded, when it's so simple??

Sorry if I ask questions that seem simple, but I'm new in the "domain" and English's not my first language, so find information sometimes' hard.

20. Loonylion

winrar automatically combines them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.