1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Grammar nazis...

Discussion in 'Rants' started by Jonez001, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Ok, I understand that my English isn't perfect and that I write mistakes to the grammar. I have no problem that some people correct me when I make a mistake over and over again. Like then / than or form/from... But why do some grammar nazis need to pick on every tiny mistake that you make?

It is really unneed that somebody is corrected each and every time. It gives me the impression that you are perfect in your English or that you think that yours is way better. Correcting the whole internet is impossible. But trying to help people to improve is okay.

That grammar nazi's attack commercial games or stories... those I support. They should have mistakes. But in messages boards like this one... come on! People don't pay attention to their grammar because they look for fun times and help. Also when the message is getting across what is the problem then? I understand that some people get annoyed by mistakes but don't go in overdrive and don't think you can correct every mistake that a user makes. To err is human.

Also, I don't blame people (which I say twice now) that want to help people improve. Like Akane pms me sometimes feedback on mistakes I frequently make. That is the kind of 'grammar nazis' that I support. Because they don't a fool out of you in public. But it can get very annoying that people make fun of other people because their grammar is bad.

But I would also be annoyed if the spelling and grammar is way too bad (see following post of Akane). If you write a sentence that is english (and not using numbers, writing how you say it, writing ALL words shorter...) I won't be annoyed. But things like:

'looc hear for a fiks' .... instead of 'look here for a fix' is pretty annoying and will even make me do some grammar nazi thingies.

So in short: grammar does matter, but when everybody understands which message you get across (the right one of course... pointed out by Nex) don't always bitch about a tiny mistake...

2. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

lol you made this thread because of me.
    I said that because you're always posting form instead of from and it annoys me :3

so ur sayin that it iznt bad if I p0st liek diz as long as yuu cen reed diz?

3. Jonez001

Akane, you misread me once again.

That is why I have made a little edit.

4. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

i helped my uncle jack off a horse.
    I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse.

No, you're right. Grammar doesn't matter...

5. Jonez001

::) I see what you are trying to say nex. But did you miss 'getting the message across' part?

I don't think that in the case of the first sentence you get the correct message across.

6. Reider

Reider Modereider

Aren't you the one that keeps saying something like 43nd?

7. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember somebody doing that

EDIT:
    [quote author=Akane]
    Welcome to the 43th "Know Your Members" game.
    [/quote]

8. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

No? :3

9. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

This is awesome.

Thanks.

10. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

It's alright since English is your second language, and generally non-english speakers have a difficult time getting their message across from time to time. English is too overrated anyways being the main language across the globe, which is why linguists conjure up some of the most confusing words in order to describe things.
    Depends who you are talking to, if the person really has integrity or not.
    Yeah my mind has to struggle every time I read stuff from others without proper punctuations. I could make out the grammar part as long as they are specific. The problem is not every single person is willing to make it an effort to use 'spellcheck' and/or edit their own messages for lack of a better term, "Can you say that in English, please?"

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

IIRC English is not the most widely spoken language in the world, its only second or third.

12. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

I forgot about Mandarin, but yeah it ranks up there with the popular ones at most.

13. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

It pisses me off that people let their grammar go just because it's the internet. I see college graduates mix up "they're, their, and there."

I mean, are you kidding me? What was the point of all that education?

Oh man, and they spell "definitely" as "definately," or worse, "defiantly." We're talking 21-24 year-old college graduates here.

I've used the "English proficiency test" as a means to gauge the intelligence of the person that I'm talking to. As far as U.S. citizens go, this test has not failed me.

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It's not much better in England, the education system is so messed up now, half the teachers can't even get it right, and grammar just isn't considered important anymore. When I was at university we were always being reminded to use the spell checker, and we were all ICT students, which IMO is the last group that should need reminding about that. The lecturers often said that business leaders (My university had quite a lot of links to businesses, running accredited courses etc) were always complaining about the level of English skills held by people newly entering the workforce, and it was always put down to slipping standards in compulsory (i.e infant/junior/high school) education. Personally I think it's more than just slipping standards; there's been quite a substantial shift in priorities away from core subjects (English/maths/science)

15. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

"Let there be syntax." - God

16. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Grammar Nazis*

17. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

Suiseiseki*

18. Sarra93

Sarra93 New Member

Loser*

19. Jonez001

Maybe they just try and look for help. At this forum is a perfect example. People want to have a fix to play a game ASAP... so they don't care about it then.

20. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

On here though, it is a slightly different story. Not everyone on this forum speaks English as their first language. However, on Facebook, at least from my perspective, every person I am friends with speaks English as their first language. I see nothing but ignorance, bigotry, and to top it off, sloppy English. If I were the person hiring candidates for jobs, the first place I would look would be on their social networking sites, not for sleazy photos or of things that are questionably legal, but for their English proficiency. You can easily tell which ones are dumbasses, and which ones are worth hiring in a matter of seconds. No need to look at resumes, certifications, or recommendations.

Also, you can tell which ones you can easily troll the shit out of, and which ones you can't.