1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Hacking Pokemon GBA Games

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by goodle101, Jan 10, 2011.

1. goodle101

goodle101 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone I'm going to help you hack your GBA pokemon games :) Hope this tutorial helps you!

HELPFUL TOOLS
    These are some tools that will help you make your game the way you want it. I did NOT make any of these tools you can thank their creators. Also this is just a list you can find these tools by google searching/ looking in the forums. Please stay safe dont download anything that looks risky. These tools are for ruby, sap., emerald, fire red and leaf green

Advance Map1.92 - get it change maps and map layouts

Advance text - change the text untill you get the pokedex not the greatest but still cool (trying to find a better one.)

Advance-Mart Evolution - changes what items are avalible in the mart and the prices

Starter Pokemon Changer - changes the starter pokemon

Title Screen Hacking Tools

Advanced Palette Editor (aka APE) v1.3.3 - used to change title screen (you will also need unLZ.GBA)

unLZ.GBA - works with APE and you can modify pokemon sprites

Poke Pic - get pokemon sprites and title images you can basicaly get any picture in the game you just gotta know the number

Tile Molester - helps you change the title screen in your hacks

ADVANCE MAP 1.92
    Getting Started Using Advance Map 1.92

How to change the Map using Advance Map 1.92 ok so first thing to do is open your ROM. go to File>Load ROM>then click on your ROM. Then on the left side of Advance Map 1.92 you will see From Header From INI you need to click on From INI (the middle one) then at the top there is a drop down list of how to veiw your maps (beside the sprite of the player) click on it then choose sort by map name. This makes it easy to find your maps. Then on the left side double click on a map name to edit it. You can change whats in it with the map pecies on the right side.

Editing Movement Permisson using Advance Map 1.92

You can edit events for people pokemon and the main character using advance map. First we will start with movement permisson open a map and then choose the "Movment Permisson" tab at the top. A red 1 means that you can't normally walk their but if you change it to a purple c you will be able to walk oon that place e.g. a tree will be coverd with red 1's so if you change the red 1's to blue c's then you will be able to walk on the tree. There are many more movement types as you can see on the right side the list and you should try them all and see what you can do.

Editing Wild Pokemon data with Advance Map 1.92

With Advance Map 1.92 you can add/remove/change wild pokemon that you will encounter in a map. First open the map you want to change wild pokemon then choose the "Wild Pokemon" tab at the top. Now two things can happen if you choose a map such as a route where you encounter wild pokemon you will see lots of things such as type, Encounter ratio, pokemon1, pokemon2, pokemon3 etc. and if you chose a map with no pokemon like the inside of a regular house then there will be a big create pokemon button. Depending on the map you chose please look for your selection below

1.1 (In side a house with no wild pokemon)

Ok so if you just have a big create pokemon button then you are in an area of the game where the real programers intended their to be not pokemon so you need to choose if you want to continue or just choose a new map. If you want to go ahead and create new pokemon then click the button a pop up box will apear then choose the type of battle field pokemon you want to create wate, grass, fire choose one then click ok. Now that you have set the field its time for the pokemon click on the drop down list that says grass (type: is beside it to the left) then choose a type sometimes depending on your settings or the map you will not be able to have that type you will have to pick another (how do you know if you can use a type? pokemon1, pokemon2, pokemon3 etc. will appear. click expand to include more pokemon field types that will let you add more wild pokemon. Drag the slider bar to choose how often wild pokemon will apear (35%-85% recommended) now the rest is easy just choose a minimum level and a max level for each pokemon then choose the pokemon from the drop down list to choose what pokemon you want to appear. When you are finished click save if not all your hard work will be lost.

1.2 (wild pokemon are already their such as a route)

Ok if there are already pokemon on your map then you can change some values. First if you want to add more pokemon that you can encounter then click the expand button a pop up box will apear then put a check mark in the box it will add to the number of pokemon on the field (note you many not see these new pokemon you may need to click on the type drop down list then choose the type you just added to see them). Ok so with the slider at the top of the page you can choose how often you will encounter pokemon (35%-85% recomended) now the rest is easy just choose a minimum level and a max level for each pokemon then choose the pokemon from the drop down list to choose what pokemon you want to appear. When you are finished click save if not all your hard work will be lost.

Editing the header using Advance Map 1.92

Ok so this will be short and sweet to change the header when you move from route to route and town to town you have to first open a map then at the top click the "Header" tab to change the name of the route or town etc. use the text box on the right hand side if you are editing route 101 then it will say route 101 backspace that then type your own name or message do not make the text too long then click change name and it will change and save it for you. There is lots more you can do on this tab but please dont make me type it out have some fun with it and try it out for your self if you get stuck ask in the forums.

Editing Events with Advance Map 1.92

I would like to write a guide on events but it could go on forever. There is just to much you can do with the events tab so if I will jsut teach you some basic things that you can have fun with for a while. First open a map then go to the "Events" tab on the right side there are lots of things to do you can edit text (with a text editor ofcourse) edit sprites and make warp points and things. Ok first sprite editing you can edit sprites by finding the "picture no:" now click on a person or other thing such as a pokemon or in ruby/sap prof Birch's bag then go to the picture no: and use the arrows to go up and down to choose a pitcure. You can edit text with the edit text and if you have a text editor you can link them together so when you click the open script button your text editor will open.This brings us to the next part in the tutorial...

ADVANCE TEXT
    Getting Started using Advance Text

Once you have Advance Text up and running you will notice that unlike Advance Map from the first tutorial that Advance Text is a really simple program. There are 5 main buttons OPEN ROM, EXIT, SEARCH, ABOUT, AND LIVE UPDATE. Open rom opens your ROM Exit closes the program search lets you find text in your game faster and about tells you about the guy that made the program and live update updates the program. So what we really want is the Open Rom button click it and lets get started. Open your ROM and then all the text files will apear in the box in the middle of the screen. This part is really simple to edit text all you do is double click on a header for example in mine it says "Intro" so I double click on it then I choose which part of the intro I want to change then all I do is erase the text and type my own message. Some things to remember when editing text are abouve the text box where the text apears it says "Text-box Boarder" then makes a line it is important that your text does not pass that point other wise it will go off the screen. When editing text try to make it the same size of text of that was originally there less is ok to, but if your text is too long it will repoint the text to a new positon (it will put it anywhere in your ROM diffrent every time) and it will change all your other text boxes. I know that sounded really confusing but you will be ok if your text is not longer than the one originally there. Now wait how do I know if my text is too short? well under the text box there is a short sentence that says # Characters to Re-point if this says 0 characters to Re-point then your entered text is the exect same size as the old one if you have say 2 characters to Re-point this generaly means that your text is shorter than the original...that IS ok. If it suddenly says something along the lines of 200 characters to Re-point that usually means your text is too long...that is NOT ok and you should shorten it. After you are done text editing the text after each time always click Save Text otherwise your work will be lost.

ADVANCE-MART EVOLUTION
    Getting Started using Advance -Mart Evolution

The first thing to do is open your ROM so go to file > Open ROM then find and open your ROM. Once your ROM is open its time to choose a mart to edit near the map there is a drop down list click on it then click on the mart you wish to edit. The city of the mart you have chosen will begin to flash on the map of Hoenn. Once you chose a mart to edit click on one of the yellow poke balls to change what you can buy at that mart. If you want to change a number of things of the currently selected item go to Tools> Item editor a mini pop up menu will apear you can change the price and item effect and the bag slot (where the item will go in your bag e.g. pokeballs will go in the balls poket). Ok well that is how you use advane mart.

STARTER POKEMON CHANGER
    Ok so unless you read or speak what I think may be german you may need some help with this one. The first thing to do is go to Datei (kinda like Datel huh?) any way go to Datei>ROM Offnen to open your ROM then each of the three boxes will fill up with a list of pokemon you can choose from then after you are done picking your pokemon starters go back to Datei then ROM Speichern to save your work then you are done!

HOW TO TITLE HACK RUBY SAP. POKEMON GAMES
    Title hacking... in my oppinon hardest part of pokemon hacking so first here are some tools you may want to use:
    Tile Molester, Pokepic, APE, unLZ.GBA

In this tutorial we will be using Tile Molester and Pokepic (feel free to try out APE and unLZ.GBA if you like)

Please note if you are hacking Leaf or Fire then you will HAVE to use unLZ.GBA I do not currently know the #'s for FR LG

Where to begin... ... ... ah I know ok so... you have to open pokepic then open your ROM click the BIG Open Rom button then find your ROM. When your ROM opens click on "advanced" its under "compress/write back to rom" a new pop up screen will apear and on that menu in the offset (decimal) text box enter the number of either the pokemon, the pokemon logo the game freak logo or the version logo... whats that you say? dont know what number to enter in the box thats ok since im soooo nice here are the numbers for:

RUBY

Ruby Version 15331280 - in TileMolester View it in 8bpp mode
    Pokémon logo 15325388 - in TileMolester View it in 8bpp mode
    GameFreak logo 15324740 - in TileMolester View it in 8bpp mode
    Groudon 3748432 - in TileMolester View it in 4bpp linear, reverse-order

SAP.

Sap. Version 15331280 - View it in 8bpp mode in TileMolester
    Pokémon logo 15325388 - View it in 8bpp mode in TileMolester
    GameFreak logo 15324740 - View it in 8bpp mode in TileMolester
    Kyogre 3748432 -View it in 4bpp linear, reverse-order in TileMolester

After you enter the number for the item you want to change you need to click dump raw on the right side then save each one with a name you will remember. Now it is time to use tile molester open it then open your dump file File>Open then find your dump file when it opens in tile molester it may not look like anything so to fix this go to veiw at the top the codec now chose the correct codec for the part your editing so for the sap version logo you would need to view it in 8bpp mode its all their in the guide. Now you just have to paint on the picture like you would if you are using MS Paint. Also when editing the sap./ruby version even though you are veiwing it in the correct codec as shown above the colors are not good download this Palette for version logo this will make the logo come up in the correct colors how to use the file go to Palette then click import from>another file go to the place where you saved the file the click open and the colours should be correct now.

After you are done painting and editing the pictures in tile molester save them and then open poke pic once again open your ROM and then go to advanced this time you will type in the number for the part you want to edit and instead of dump raw this time we will click on insert raw then select your dump that you edited with tile molester click open then you can enter another pic or push ok then when in the main pokepic screen again click compress and write back to ROM. Congrats ddyou have just hacked your games title screen YAY

Also I now have broken fingers from typing so much :D

2. asdfth12

asdfth12 Well-Known Member

You might want to add something about scripting since that is a large part of rom hacking as well.

3. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

I loves hacking Pokemon games! Go to Pokecomunity forum website for more information!

www.pokecommunity.com

4. Tanuken

Tanuken Well-Known Member

Oh my god, I go there!

5. Gatuki

Gatuki New Member

hey guys, can anybody tell me how can i add new moves without editing the old ones? also, increasing the length of pokedex and adding entries is needed.

6. Torchica

Torchica New Member

Hmm, Whenever I use A-txt, even though I make SURE to save, it doesn't come up when I play the ROM...

7. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

can these tools be used to or make games like Pokemon volt white or edit the pokemons sprites etc ?

8. sanjihd

sanjihd New Member

does it work with JP ver ?

9. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Even though this is a very late respond (as in more than 10 months too late). The answer is yes, some of the tools can be use for the inquired purpose. There are other tools needed, you can find them in a pokemon hacking community forum site. Just google it.

Yes, hacking a pokemon rom aren't limited to just certain rom region. You can edit just about any region you wish. And the tools needed depends entirely on what your project is like. The simpler it is, the less tools needed.

10. andrew11214

andrew11214 Member

nice tutorial , thanks !