1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Help ?, Re-modding chip / wiring in my original xbox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jhon 591, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Hi guys.

I bought a xbox that was mod chip ed , I took it apart to give it a good clean out .

The mod chip came lose and wares off with Age , so got red light, but took the one wire on back of mother board of and it worked fine, but can't no longer play copys.

I'm looking for he to rewire it order , so here it goes .

they are a alphabet order , A B C D E F G H I , but on Mother circuit board no order to put this on re wiring , so I try to find some info on internet .

My chip number is SSR - code 49LF020 , 33 - 4C - NH , board to chip LCP MOD V2.0

[​IMG]

First Of all this is what it should look like, But not sure what way A to I starts from that would be help from start ?, Anyone Good with Spaghetti Junction ? , Image little bad but all I can find regarding this .

[​IMG]

This in mine ready to be done , A to I Start's downwards from top green bent one .

[​IMG]

Place to be soldered .

[​IMG]

Full look.

[​IMG]

----------------------------

If anyone can find a good diagram regarding this ?, be most welcome and thanks .

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the arrow on the motherboard (bottom right) is pin 1, therefore the right hand column is odd numbered pins and the left hand is even numbered pins.

Jhon 591 likes this.
  3. Jhon 591

On the chip board it reads , abcdefghi , So pin 1 mother must be I on chip board , If i recall on chip board A was where 3rd Pin below on Right of Mother board where M29 chip is

A drawn diagram could help, just can't find much at all on google are images .

Thanks loony.

4. Jhon 591

Can I assume ABCDEFGHI , is just 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ? in that manner then ?

[​IMG]

5. Jhon 591

Well no luck trying either way, anyone else could find some think that might be useful on this ?, would be grate :)

I'v put the classic xbox back together , just continue to play original games, cheap to come by any way get them as little as 50p to a £1 in UK, most charity shops find them, But just cannot use Emulation without mod .

6. Loonylion

no you cant make assumptions, you could destroy something if you get it wrong.

7. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I'm not sure, but maybe this is what you're looking for (so please double check from the link):
    [​IMG]
    Turn that small PCB- SST upside down, and trace where the cable-track lines lead you.
    Concentrate on diagram A, and match with the numbers shown on the above chip.
    To give you a sense of direction on the chip in your case; 2 is somewhere near the red cable,
    while 7 is near the white-green cable is.
    Ignore the messy soldier on the chip, and take care not to work too long on each line,
    else you might fry that chip.

See:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/250154-how-to-use-a-cheapmod-sst49lf020-on-a-16-box/
    http://xbox-scene.com/articles/tightass-mod.php

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  8. Jhon 591

Thanks Prectorian, looks very useful , look like you can solder the chip it's self at the back, then colder in that order to the mother board in numbers given, I think my main issues was soldering to the chip board it's self, rather add the wires to the mother board first, that I should have done first it would have bean easy er to cross wire then to the chip board .

But the diagram shown look like you can do it by the chip it's self and easy er to follow it's layout , will look into this first be four trying any think :) .

The chips mother board is downwards like this

Code:
    A = xbox mother board ? pin
    B = xbox mother board ? pin
    C = xbox mother board ? pin
    D = xbox mother board ? pin
    E = xbox mother board ? pin
    F = xbox mother board ? pin
    G = xbox mother board ? pin
    H = xbox mother board ? pin
    I = xbox mother board ? pin

Xbox Mother board Pin's 6,12,13,14,15,16 don't get used , in modding .

I'v taken two HQ images , I bodged the G a little lol , lest the chip it self is good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Prectorian

Turn the chip's PCB around, can you see the back side has any track on it? Try tracing it where it goes and to which A-I points. You'll get it solved. Don't do what the tutorial did, it looks so messy. There's also a youtube tutorial on this matter, except he uses a 16 pin bridge, which is not possible for you due to your PCB size. In any case, figure it all out first before starting. You won't want to fry that chip under any circumstances.

Eg. of a PCB track (found on the PCB back side)
    [​IMG]

10. Loonylion

I think you broke it, theres no solder pad on g anymore.

11. Jhon 591

@ Lonny, I could use the pin hole Lonny, last hope ^ it still run's into the main chip by line , are could take chip out of the chip board and do as Prectorian posted ^^^^ , But I Should use much thin-er wires ,ad line type , not twist type .

@Prectorian they is a wire on back of mother board, solders to a yellow chip, I took one end of for now only where it goes to yellow chip, are xbox has red ring , without mod chip, taken off then xbox works fine without it, both chip and back wire needs to work with each other , I also taped the other end to prevent damage of it coming off, it looked fragile .

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After taking a look at "The Junction Wires close by following them ^" , The diagram works out at either .

First Follow from I to A - Downwards , Seems more right .

Code:
    I=11 - LAD0
    H=10 - LAD1
    G=8 - LAD2
    F=2 - GND
    E=7 - LAD3
    D=3 - LFRAME
    C=9 - 3.3v
    B=1 - LCLK
    A=5 - RET

Are A to I , First image can't tell Chip Board as it was bad quality , Downward if Stated from A Assuming.

Code:
    A=11 - LAD0
    B=10 - LAD1
    C=8 - LAD2
    D=2 - GND
    E=7 - LAD3
    F=3 - LFRAME
    G=9 - 3.3v
    H=1 - LCLK
    I=5 - RST

12. Prectorian

Sorry, I just got back online. I can't visualize what you've done so far. But make sure you know what you're doing. All I can help been laid on the table. You'll have to follow what the link and its images guides you. If your small PCB is damaged, but the chip (and it's socket) is fine, you could try go to an electric DIY store and try find replacement.

Note:
    Always make sure your soldiering unit is hot enough before you begin. That way you won't stay too long doing each points and risk damaging your components. And make sure the PCB & cables are all clean. Also you would want to make sure the cable fibres been coated with the tin before you start assembling, which will make sure you won't work too long on each.

And always make sure to do a clean job. You won't want to cause it to short circuit and damage the entire unit.

13. Jhon 591

Thanks 4 all you're help Prectorian and lonny, I'll take all what you mention to mined ^ , It's that old Prectorian I don't think they would be any replacement , UK is be coming more S**T , Stores closing est right down the pipe hole for sure , F*ing Conservative party diving UK into the ground and no fight back of our people :rolleyes: xd.

Cheers Dion I'll look into it ^ thanks for also advice on soldering and wiring :)

Also Don't know what I first started out Did , but a file from the emulation disc seems to have copied a file to the hard drive , I could have known I did remove all save file's, and was not there be four , after taking of back of board wire , and left chip attached , copy'ed nes Emulation disc was in xbox but did not read .

EDIT:

As that link Per, its possible to link the bridge from the top, the pins at side of the chip board of mine should hold the link wires in place .

[​IMG]

As add the back wires from the top of Chip holder , needs very think wires to do so .

But the tip was grate, Solder the wires to mother board First .

[​IMG]

14. Jhon 591

I flip ed one image , and rotated othwe image to match , all need is very thin wire , I checked under chip to match and is correct, Then best to Bridge the connections from the top in reverse , Connection Pins should then Hold the wires in place with no soldering ..

[​IMG]

Reversed from bottom , under neath , to match front/top ^

[​IMG]

15. Jhon 591

Images Posted for documentation only , Back of mother board , wire connection point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Prectorian

That would be TSOP or see this for your reference: .

I don't understand about all these. :)

17. Jhon 591

Thanks Prectorian, I see :) , Sadly I Bogged the Mother board :eek: , my soldering skills are not that good :( .

O well keep all spare parts you nether know :) if another ;)

What are the pins they use, that's it Pin Header Socket

They would have bean handy from start :)

[​IMG]

18. Prectorian

Let's see I think that would be this : . But you'll need to change to the type of PCB with the one as shown in the video. You can keep using the chip + it's socket after removing it from the busted PCB.

19. Jhon 591

Thanks Prectorian for all you're help, But as I mention ^^ Sadly the mother board pins are Goner :(

But the video If get other Xbox , will be very handy :) , cheers for this very handy video! ;)

20. Prectorian

What happened? Your soldiering rod was bad or was your hand shaky?
    Oh well, what's done is done. You'll have to work out an alternative.
    Hopefully you have damage the unit itself.