1. This forum is in read-only mode.

help with r4

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gsev888, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Gsev888

Gsev888 New Member

I have a couple of questions regarding downloading games onto my r4. I have the gold r4 ds cartridge that says r4 3d: revolution for DS. I have just recently bought a 2ds, wanting to be able to download 3ds games onto it (such as the new Pokemon games). I went through the set up guide on http://www.r43ds.com/ for "steps for installing r4 3ds (red and black box). I have the gold cartridge, but I just assumed it would be the same process. I followed the steps listed; formatting the SD card (32gb), downloaded the latest kernel for the 3ds/English language pack and copied to the SD card. After that, I downloaded a game from romulation.net, transferred it to my desktop from a .rar file to a .3ds file and then put it on my SD card. Then I tried putting the SD card in my r4 and tried it on my 2ds, but I got the following error message: "An error has occured. Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off." I tried turning the DS off and trying again, but I got the same error message. Did I miss a step? Is there more I need to do? Did I do something wrong? Is my r4 chip compatible? I am looking forward to a response!

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

More than likely your cart is not for playing 3DS rom despite the misleading name. It might only be for playing NDS rom.
    Can't help further. Good luck.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the 3d probably means it works on a 3ds, not that it can play 3ds games. there's only a few flashcarts that can actually play 3ds games, and IIRC none of them are called R4

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

There is actually one R4 cart for playing 3DS rom in the market so far, its name is: R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe. In any case, OP mentioned his is a golden colored R4, it is a clear giveaway his only plays NDS rom. And it seems he tried installing kernel meant for other R4 cart of similar name, albeit the installation process is similar. Hence the error on screen. Regardless, I don't have what he have, so I can't help even if just to make that R4 run on the 2DS to play NDS rom. :p