1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I'm surprised I'm the first to bring this one up. Has anyone tried Lakka?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by hmfan, Oct 10, 2016.

1. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

Okay a little info first on this project, It's basically a minimalistic Linux OS that boots fast and is designed to do nothing but act like an emulator setup (with a PS3 like interface). It's some sort of hybrid between Kodi (what XBMC became) and Retroarch.

They have versions for lots of different ARM based boards (Raspberry Pi included), and x86 PC in 32 and 64 bit (64 works better). It can boot live or installed and recognizes many USB based controllers and has a pretty wide variety of emulator cores to use (thanks to retroarch). It also sets up a SMB based network connection so that you can send games to it easily enough.

Obviously there are issues that I have seen with the project is that the scanning script for putting the games into playlists seems to be a little crappy due to it only supporting certain rom sets (mostly no-intro sets) but at least the playlist files are simple text based lpl files. So they are easy to edit. The other obvious issue is that not all emulators do things right so some games won't run or will freeze. Easily worked around if you set up SSH before you start an emulator since it's only the emulator that would freeze and not the whole OS, a simple reboot command would get you out. The final issue I can see is that it logs in as root all the time so screwing something important up is pretty easy, especially the directories lower than the "storage" directory where all your roms and bios files would go.

www.lakka.tv is where you can find it if you are interested in checking it out.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    jr42094 likes this.
  2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

interesting, the logging in as root is bad though.

3. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

It can probably be made to log in differently. Or at the very least be able to change the root password.

4. georgebourge

georgebourge Member

Looks pretty good at first sight, will check again later.

5. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

From what I have been told by the users of the forum, it basically uses a squashfs and runs like a live instance of linux. So even if you royally F*** up the system, a reboot fixes it... you know unless some of the persistent configuration files are tweaked wrong.