1. This forum is in read-only mode.

LOZ fanfic "I just want a vacation" rant

Discussion in 'Rants' started by Duncan Idaho, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

I recently finished reading this fic I saw it recc'ed on SB and thought 'hey must be decent' sadly Space Battles didn't land it with my taste.

Lets take OOT thats is yet another entry on the Popular Legend of Zelda series... and flip its characters so that despite being mute one of them has the worst possible interpretation, fuck its borderline bashing.

The fic I want a vacation deals with Link returning from Termina and instead of well, having a happy go lucky time he stumbles upon Zelda who tells him about Navi and after a short reunion he decides he wants a vacation.

Problem is that a dragon attacks the city, a terminan version of volvagia, which Link kills with lots of effort and the credit gets stolen (this is in character for this link who wants nothing more to not bear the hero responsabilities) THEN Terminan noblity pops up.

Yes thats right, Terminan noblity, we have Clock town which is run by a mayor which implies a democracy instead of monarchy and the last Terminan monarchy are composed of undead with few retaining some semblance of rationality.

So the story is that this terminan wizard took over Termina and the royalty wants to ally with Hyrule to off him.

Link goes along it because Chronic Hero Syndrome.

So far its interesting... until we start nearing the end, Zelda suffers a crisis and her lives pop (as in past and future Zeldas) and she asks of the triforce to give her the wisest zelda... turns out that its the Adult Time line Zelda and she is utterly logica and she is a monster.

Turns out she 'manipulated' Link all the time for her own ends, even the whole sending him to the past was manipulating him... for reasons and from there it gets worse, it gets to the point where the fic has no proper ending, Link fights once more with the mother of all Wolfos and Zelda (current Zelda, not Future Spcok esque Zelda) watches him fight and the Terminan Princess also watches him fight.

And thats the ending, all the other plots? all the other stuff like Link getting a vacation, the triangle getting resolved? All that, well uh never pops up again.

Oh and the author feels the need to incorporate Greek Esque Godhood.

For those unaware the Original Clash of Titants movie explains it perfectly, but if you are too lazy, here is the long short, Greek Gods saw or see mankind as toys, like we do with plastic figurines? Or more recently Amiibos? Yeah thats how they view us and thats exactly how the Trio of Goddesses see her creations, Nayru modded the original Zelda's soul so that she would get all the memories in a subconcious manner, Farore borrowed a soul of Din and simply chose the most courageous and stalwart of them all... to beat Nayru's chosen, thus defeating the entire purpose of cooperation to not let Ganandorf/Ganon get away with his plans.

Oh and the Gerudo are reduced to a minor thing, mysterious and unexplored their magic is only of 'one shaman' I am sorry but this is the child timeline, Link has yet to kill Koume or Kotake.

It feels like it could've been a great piece but christ the last 10 or so chapters really demolish the bases of everything the author wrote.

Oh and wait for my rant on the The Golden Power, apparently the Triforce mods Link so that he is only able to feel pleasure from battle and it gives Zelda two extra brains (and yet its a highly acclaimed piece of fanfiction)