1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Magic the gathering.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Alias1983, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Alias1983

Alias1983 Well-Known Member

I play legacy and some modern, the last couple blocks the sets have sucked so bad I was literally so discussed with T2 I will never buy a pack from wotc again.

So far for legacy I have tezz affinity and a sleigh burn deck of sorts, more burn than creatures.
    Working on a modern infect but want some sort of cawblade wu control for modern. I got lands that will get me buy till I get the shock lands.

2. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

You play Infect yet you hate Innistrad and Return blocks?

Do you just hate fun or something? Rakdos Aggro is the most fun I've had in this game since artifact lands were banned.

3. Alias1983

No I hate type 2 standard, inn and rtr is imo the crappiest sets ever printed.

SOM was the next best set of MAROs nwo crap, Iam an old school player and like good cards that they say are broken.

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Yeah see, Infect was good in concept but shitty in execution. It's a win condition you can't do anything about in the long term, yet it's still so similar to the normal way to play the game that it's boring to play against. Combined with cheap Phyrexian cantrips (which were a much better idea) you could clear a board and swing for lethal on turn 3 or 4. It's too easy, and you only need to look at the prevalence of Inkmoth Nexus and the like in late Scars and early Innistrad standard.

What I'm wondering is why you think the current sets suck. They're full of flavour - which is great in my mind - and introduce a lot of interesting mechanics. Especially RtR block. If it's because there aren't any "I win" archetypes like Infect or how Affinity used to be then you might need to rethink why you play. If it's nostalgia, that's cool, but no need to rubbish the exact same game being played a different way.

5. Alias1983

Infect in modern is a tier 3 deck that can pull off t2 wins, its not that great of a deck as we are banking on 1 creature and just the right amount of pump spells.

And in legacy affinity is a tier 2 deck, its the fastest aggro deck around but very easy to combat.

I chose these decks as they are the cheapest to get the cards for, I am not going to want 900$ in a deck only to have it possible get stolen if I blink.

I dont play standard type 2, its a joke.

I dont want a set full of flavor I want cards that I can use all around. Ive said this a hundred times before, I hate looking at a set list and see at most 10 cards that I would want. Most new mechanics are lame anyway and wotc is pushing creature combat, more aggro and such and are shafting control.

Which is why I stopped playing t2, there is no good control deck anymore, and in eternal I wont play control decks cause they are the most expensive.

There is no i win deck, never has been and affinity was the last of the i win that wotc made cause around there they rethought how they made there sets.

Now we occationally get a card that wotc will say is a mistake like jace the wallet killer or snapcaster mage or omg delver of secrets.

I put no faith in wotc anymore, thats why I play legacy more than any other format.

6. Alias1983

Ya know whats really depressing?

There are countless forums devoted to talk of mtg and the metagame and what have you and the mothersite is the most dead.

MTGSalvation is the most active mtg site and yet if you sneeze you get reported and get infractions. left and right.

TCG forums I was banned from that site before I even made a post, WTF was that about? I will never know.

SCG forum sucks just as much as the mothersite, no real discussion, no big updates on decks.

Its so depressing that there is no good site to talk about mtg and not have to worry if you sneeze or fart.

7. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

The last set I ever played was Zendikar.