1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Martial arts

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Solus, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone here practices martial arts? Since I've been in Australia I have been following this show called Human Weapon. Oh it's fantastic and makes me itch to once again return to Malaysia so I can spar. Yes I have studied teakwando before but i found that lame. So I changed to Ninjutsu & Taijutsu. So If any of you do practice any fighting styles, tell me what and what is unique about it. :)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Shotokan Karate. I'm a 9th Kyu and it's the original form of karate. It is also the Japanese national sport, and they have lost to the UK twice in a row so far :)

3. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

9th kyu? that's like 2nd lowest rank. Well, don't you just enjoy sparring? The feel of ruthless aggression. Wel ninjutsu is basically anything goes. It's kinda like mixed martial art. And by right you're not suppose to have any honour :) It's not a dishonorable art, it's an act of survival. We use trickery and stuff to get the better of your opponent.

4. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

I play King of fighter on expert mode...does that count?

anyway i used to take Teakwando and Kendo, but for really short time....

I perfer in-game Martial Arts

5. marcy

marcy Guest

I was in some martial arts school several years ago.

But I quit after a few weeks, because it was way too boring.

The only thing I practice now is marcyal arts :D

6. thebass324

thebass324 Well-Known Member

I did Tae-kwon-do for about 10 years with a little bit of Brazilian Jujitsu on the side. After that I did some Filipino something for half a year to a year.

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

It's the lowest rank, white belt.

I'm 3rd kyu in wado-ryu karate. ;D I'm in it for almost 10 years.

I would love to try Ninjutsu. Seems great, and I like to know people's weak spots.

That's what you learn there, right, Solus?

8. Loonylion

No it isn't, 9th kyu is orange.

9. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Well yea I guess you can say ninjutsu is like mixed martial arts, find his weakness, feint & deceit, whatever works & the best part, he never know who or how many times and maybe where you hit him. My sensei is awesome, he hits you so many times until you are disoriented & blind to what is going around.

10. Reider

Reider Modereider

I did Tae-kwon-do for a few years but ended up leaving due to the teacher enlisting in the marines and not having anyone else to teach the class.

If he would've hung around a few more months I would've gotten my black belt. :(

Nothing overly unique about it, but I can make my foot go over my head now and I couldn't do that before I took the class. The sparring we did was insane too, since we were always doing something that handicapped us in order to make it interesting(blindfolding, tying an arm behind our backs, etc.).

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Used to do Seido karate for 1 and a half years or so, was a Yellow belt :) Used to piss off my teacher Gary so much. I would attack people randomly in my class :) Quit as I developed my own martial art Anandojutsu, combines power, skill and mental thinking :) For more information on courses in your region, email me. Courses cost $80 over a period of 6 weeks, subject to change, no refunds. I will not take any responsibility for injured students in class. Go to http://www.anandojutsu.jones for more information.

12. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Sparring is awesomely fantastic isn't it. Even if you get a few bruises after it, you still feel great if you totally dominate your opponent.

13. drown

drown New Member

I used to do Kateda for about 3 year. Something like karate but with a little bit of addition. We could focus our breath to a certain bodypart so that when it is hit you'll feel next to no pain. The higher rank you get the more bodypart we could focus on simultaneously. I only got to blue belt though cause I was lazy :p .

14. kanakacheek

kanakacheek Well-Known Member

I do Kendo, and it's quite a hard sport.
    You spent the first 6month doing basic hitting air and footwork then you wear the actual kendo hakama, gi, bogu (so the japanese traditonal cloth with armour) which adds about 5kg or more. Then the HItting really starts, they hit you and it hurts. Especially guys that hit hard and misses (I have bruises that last for a week, I constanly look like I am in family abuse). Then it's the wrists, the sensei that hit your wrist hard and on the same spot hurts alot especailly in drills when they do it five times in a row. But it's so much fun when you do practise fighting. But I get tired out with about 3 matches in a row. I wonder how real samurai's feel carring a real metal sword and fight in war. When they first start hitting my head I always freeze up, now I can not squint and maybe avoid the attack...but it takes a long time to get good at kendo. Definately exciting to watch though :D

15. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Ah you just need conditioning. What my sensei used to do was chase us around with a real but blunt katana. Makes us accustomed to the sight of a blade. I do a little bit of body conditioning as well though I gave up. Used to hit my shins with a bamboo stick real hard. If you touch my shin deep enough, you can actually the bone slightly dented inwards. ::)

16. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I ahve a dent in my shin.. I hit the playground thng too hard.... but I used to do Martial Arts, but I quit Tae kwon do after red belt, and I quit Judo after a week,,,

17. kanakacheek

Err that's so scary! My doujo and sensei is pretty nice to girls, but he'll hit guys who don't hit properly. Ever been to Kendo camp? I hear it's one week of hell. Get up at 6am do kendo, eat, more kendo, eat, more kendo, sleep and repeat. And apparently they are really strict, if you fall behind the sensei's gang up on you and hit you till you get up...ah sounds like fun times

18. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

As I said in another post, my PE teacher & CAT (Citizen's Army Training) Commandant kinda took pity in me, so instead of attending military drills & formations, he sent me up to the Commandant's barracks & personally taught me some Martial Arts techniques, particularly in Taekwondo. I was never seriously trained & I guess my rank's the lowest. For my weapon's mastery, I chose to learn kendo, starting with the familiar Bamboo kendo sword, then moving up to learning to handle a katana.

19. kanakacheek

A real Katana!! wow I haven't even touched one yet >.< I am so envious...
    Actually I did Kendo on a whim. I really wanted to do archery (is that martial arts?!), but my university dont have an archery club..

20. Loonylion

archery is not a martial art, no.