1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Mini-Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Rants' started by trimbletown, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I'm bored, and still suck at drawing. Can't help it, now I'm stuck.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I cant draw either. Can't write for that matter.

3. Prectorian

I can write boring novel with tons of grammatical and punctuation mistakes, that's more suited for lullabies to send insomniac to slumber-land.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have a friend who could use that, if he wasnt dyslexic.

5. Prectorian

Hmm... sounds great target audience for me, I could make an effort to write a fabulous first page, and trash in all the rest. He would be stuck on the first page before slumbering anyway.

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

I got bored last night (off-topic, but related to y'all talking about writing)

-

The boat rocked slightly as it travelled across the soft waves deep in the Arctic Ocean. The night sky was lit up like a million suns, the many stars lighting the way for the young adventurous crew. They lay on the deck, the aurora dancing above, holding each other close to prevent the chilly air from penetrating their own little world.

"It's beautiful don't you think?" he says, his eyes sparkling under the moonlight. He had longed to see the northern lights for many a year, and to finally see it was a dream come true. The boy, interested as he was in the lights, could not take his eyes off the girl beside him though. Of unimaginable beauty, she was smart, funny and like him in many ways.
    "They're amazing. It's a whole other world out there."

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I used to enjoy drawing when I was in Middle School up until High School, granted I was never good at it :p

Also unlike most other people who learned or studied drawing accurate depictions of people's faces or doing caricatures, I was actually fascinated with Matt Groening's art style. In case you didn't know who that is, Matt Groening was the creator of the Simpsons. I liked his art style because it was easier to learn, actual muscle mass, body proportions and even joints didn't matter when drawing in his "Simpsons" style. And even before he produced "Futurama" I was actually drawing myself as well as my friends in "Simpsons" style art but with "actual" (as in real life) skin colours and not Yellow.

However a lot of the people around me (including my so called friends) thought the art style was too childish and stupid :(

Also at around that Time, the Anime revolution was at its infancy and people were more into that. I tried getting on the trend but Anime art has more rules and guidelines in it that even doing caricature so I lost interest immediately.

Here are examples of my crappy drawings back then:

[​IMG]

This one is of me and my cousins:
    [​IMG]

This one is of my teachers:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  8. Prectorian

Your so called crappy drawings are still way better than mine. Mine is comparable to a toddler's scribble. Very embarrassing to show. Back then I took drawing for granted, now I'm trying to incorporate it to earn a living out of it. These days, just from simple unproportional drawings like chibi style, can generate huge income. At least huge enough by your and my average economic standard, comparable with the average income/wage white collars earn, for almost little effort.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I wish I could still draw though...

But ever since my stroke two years ago, my writing hand is no longer that steady. I can't even sigh my signature properly too.

Good thing I hadn't had the need to sign any legal documents lately.

10. Prectorian

I'm sure you still can, keep training your hand so it don't become stiff.
    But it's a surprise you had stroke, especially since you're barely older than me.

11. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

@cahos what's with the pose in all those drawings?

Its really Simpsony and kind of cool :p

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

@Neon: Poses for the first two drawings are just some random shit I came up with which were easy enough for me to draw.

The ones on the third drawing however I copied off of several magazines I saw.

@Prectoriarn: My attack came out of the blue. I didn't even feel anything when it happened, except that when it did I was out Malling and then I felt a little dizzy so I decided to take a cab home. While in transit I was fully aware and felt nothing strange apart from my head throbbing.

When I got home I crashed (as in I slept right away) on our living room couch. Then when I woke up the next day, my right arm didn't have any sensation whatsoever and my left shoulder up to my left hand was hurting like hell.

What I find strange about my attack was that my left arm was the one feeling pain but it was my right that lost sensation.

Also in the first months after my attack I could reach my back with my right arm and feel no discomfort, but now that my right arm has gained some of its strength back I can no longer reach my back with it without feeling some discomfort.

My biggest depression during those first few months was I can not play games on a gamepad. Even something as simple as "Super Mario Bros." was tough to play for me.

I'm slowly getting my gamer's reflexes back though :)

13. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

Damn there's someone named neon?

So you were more afraid of not being able to play any games than worrying about having another stroke ?
    True GAMER :D

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well gaming is the biggest part of my life after all as it's one of the few things I'm decent at :)

15. Prectorian

You must have had hypertension and cholesterol back then.

Back onto the subject of drawing;

I've finally made 2 drawings that I'm quite satisfied. Took hours and numerous redo-ing, really difficult for amature drawer. Basically the idea was based on Naruto characters but with a twist combining with Japanese tradition stuff. Not sure if it'll be ok to use as I'm simply copying the clan symbol, and how each characters are dressed, everything else are different as the focus subject is not humanoid. In any case that's 2 down and 40 pictures to go. After that, I'll try continue with another set of 42 original pictures not based on any known manga/cartoon/anime/comic.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  16. Prectorian

Drawn 4 more chibi Naruto characters, damn took almost a whole day staring my computer, ended with aching fingers and sore eyes! At least now I've 6 down, with 34 more to go. I wonder how many character names I know from that anime?! Even if I could draw 5 per day, then I'll still need another 7 days! Shit!!! I'll need band aid, pain killer, and eye glasses!

17. nhi_po

nhi_po Well-Known Member

But are you getting paid for them like you wanted

18. Prectorian

Yes, of cause, I get to decide how much I'm selling it and the profit sharing is clear and fair enough. I've friends who had proven it real, and can even earn more than enough each month. To some people the money earned may seems too trivial; sort of like passive income/extra pocket money, but for others like myself, that's a lot more than the average take home pay from a regular white collar job paid around here. But best of all, income tax free.

19. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

let's see them, post their pics here :)

20. Prectorian

Maybe later. I'm still chasing to complete the target quantity, and each will need some extra tweaking.