1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[Mobile] Pokemon Duel for Android and iOS NEWS

Discussion in 'General News' started by Prectorian, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

The Pokemon Company just released a new Pokemon game for mobile devices. It's called Pokemon Duel. A board game using Pokemon characters in the shape of an Amiibo figurine. The app is free to download and play, but with in-app micro-transaction. Links provided at the bottom of this topic:

Download Links:
    CLICK HERE FOR iOS
    CLICK HERE FOR Android

jr42094 likes this.
  2. Prectorian

Note:

Rooted mobile devices can't use this app. Maybe try using an app to hide the "root" before launching the app?! Also it requires constant online connection.

3. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that games require constant online connection? I personally think it's bad. It's understandable that Pokémon Go requires online connection in order to update the maps, but other Nintendo-/Pokémon Company games like Super Mario Run and this game...?

4. Prectorian

It depends. Each side (dev & player) has their reasoning. I'd assume most players would think it's bad in regard to data connection cost if they are on quota base service, otherwise they'd be indifference about it. However, in regard to this game (Poke Duel), it do need constant internet connection, because it's primary selling point is online battle/match.

5. Prectorian

This game requires downloading a heavy amount of additional data at initial run, be sure to use home network WiFi or any that's unlimited. There's really no need to do micro transaction, that much is made clear from the start at welcome note. And the game is divided into 2; solo and duel, in all cases, the app requires constant internet connection. Hence, I personally recommend this app for home entertainment or where unlimited connection is available, than on the go over quota based 3G/4G mobile connection. However all in all, this game is worth playing.

6. NintyRaccoon

My issues with constant internet connections are the data connection cost and the fact that you can't play the game when there's no free WiFi or cell towers around you (if you accept the data connection cost). But my biggest problem is that mobile games with mandatory internet connection often have short life spans, and once the game developers decide to pull the plug and shut down their servers, you can't play the games anymore.

Just look at the mobile games Final Fantasy Agito which never reached the Western market and Marvel Avenger's Alliance (online in 4 years) and its sequel (online in less than 2 months I think).

I think I can understand why the developers need to do this though. It's a way to combat piracy and it would be easier for the developers to release their updates this way.

Now a bit off-topic: As for MMORPG:s which have been shut down in the past, we have The Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures and City of Heroes. If we only talk about online multiplayer: how about Batman: Arkham Origins and Metal Gear Online (old version)?

I'm sure that there are people who long for these MMORPG:s games and online multiplayer. I know there are CoH-fans who really haven't accepted the fact that their favourite superhero game is no more. There are many people who try to keep the game alive privately.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Off-topic: That's basically I do with smartphone games. If there are PC ports of "internet-based" smartphone games, I'd rather play them on my PC, like Mobius Final Fantasy at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Prectorian

It may seems to have as you said - short life span, but I don't try to look at an online game's future and just play it while it interest you. It's not like you'll be playing it forever, that much the developer too is aware of. A game has a life cycle, once it declines, that means it's time to pull the plug before you start racking in lost instead of income. But lets not forget that with a game kept online like the MMORPG, the developer can continue to add more features, events, or contents, not just to fix bugs. Also it's not just to combat piracy, since some if not many internet based games do get and can be hacked/cheated, e.g. clash of clan, it's mostly to do their best to keep gamer playing as sportive as possible, and by having p2p experience, you're presented with unthinkable possibilities when compared to battling AI which can often be predictable if held over and over.

As for connection cost, you can play on the go on a quota base connection, that is as long as you are OK with the cost incurred and it's stable enough to prevent cutoff. For a game like Pokemon Go, the only time you need really stable connection is when you battle at the gym, otherwise, it's not too important. For this Pokemon Duel, personally I would suggest being on a stable unlimited connection, mostly because the board game battle with no TKO to all 6 pokemon figures in play, literally means it can take forever to win depending on both side's strength.

If you want fast pace mobile online game, try the Fire Emblem Heroes. It's equally fun and free to play too, but online connection is of cause necessary, but each turn base battle can be won/lost quickly. As a result, the connection cost can be suppress. However, I suggest doing the preliminary additional data download at initial run using a wifi, simply because it's quite heavy. Took me +30 minutes on my FO connection; it could easily double or triple the wait on a 3G/4G connection.

8. NintyRaccoon

Then I guess these games suit your style of gameplay more than mine. Until I was introduced to Mobius Final Fantasy a few days ago, I haven't played a single game during long sessions for a long time. The reason is simply lack of time. Because of that, I tend to play games which I know I can return to sometime in the future.

Mobius Final Fantasy has become a game which I'll try to return to more often, not just because of the FF7 Remake-event. Otherwise I have little time for games. I only play some emulated games on my phone during my travels, but that's not the same experience.

Like you, I used to play a game when it interested me. But with this way of thinking, I tended to buy several games which I later never finished. But I knew that I could always return to them in the future: Just take a Game Boy cartridge or a PS2 disc, put them in their respective systems and start playing. Now that I mentioned it, I never finished Final Fantasy VII... I didn't even get far in the game.

You're right about hacks and cheating. I can agree that competitive games such as Pokémon Duel must be an online experience only. But I was also talking about games which have a single player experience. Games like Gameloft's My Little Pony, Iron Man 3, Spider-Man Unlimited or SEGA's Sonic Dash and its sequel. Their strength, despite the microtransactions, is the possibility to be played offline. Should the developers pull the plug to those games, it's possible to download them from another website and start playing them again.

As for life spans and lack of interest... If we return to my example about Marvel Avengers Alliance: Disney/Playdom released the game for several platforms - on Playdom's website, on Facebook and on iOS and Android. The game was eventually pulled from Playdom and the mobile platforms, leaving the game to be alive on Facebook. While the game has many fans, the game was still shut down, leading to a huge uproar among them. This is especially since many of the fans have invested lots of money on the game. Of course, these consumers couldn't do anything about it.

And City of Heroes... That's even a better example. It's considered to be the best superhero MMORPG in existence with lots of fans. There are even happy stories about CoH-players who became couples and later married each other IRL. When NCSoft decided to pull the plug, efforts (petitions, fundraisers) were made to persuade NCSoft not to do so. Some even tried to buy the IP. But all for naught.

So when is the time when the data cost occurs? I can imagine during connection to the servers in order to download all of the textures and patches, but does the cost occur during my whole gaming session even if everything has been downloaded?

I'll use this example with e-mails: Each time my e-mail app connects to the Internet and I use my own data plan, the cost only occurs when the app downloads the mails. Otherwise I could keep my mobile internet connection turned on without worrying for further costs. Do these games work in the same way?

When you said "fast pace mobile online game", did you mean that the data cost only occurs during the matches? Or does it cost me during my whole session?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Prectorian

Cost is incurred whenever data is exchanged. By fast pace, I meant the game can be played quickly enough, as such you won't be dragged on by the game.

10. Prectorian

Here're some 'guides' for anyone wanting to play (not that anyone would likely need reading) :
    1. http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-duel
    2. https://www.primagames.com/games/pokemon-duel

Anyway, duel activities in-game includes;
    1. duel with other players random
    2. duel with friend/acquaintance (by creating private room or joining a room if you know the pass key made by that individual)
    3. duel with stranger like no.1, except it's technically not random (by creating public room or joining an existing room)
    4. duel vs AI
    5. duel vs training instructor (AI)

In all case, constant internet connection is a must. Also be forewarned, this app is battery thirsty.

11. Prectorian

Info;

16/2/17 :
    • maintenance scheduled (app unplayable during the down time)
    • upgrade to v.3.0.2
    • 25 figures won't be obtainable any longer from Recommended Booster pack purchase after the upgrade
    • re-balancing figures stats will be made during the upgrade (especially to the Legendary Pokemon & 2nd or 3rd tier evolution)

12. Prectorian

Info:
    • maintenance completed
    • 2 new plates introduced to Plate store
    • 11 new figures added to Recommended Booster store
    • 50% Gem bonus for every Gem purchases in store

13. Prectorian

14. Prectorian

Update:
    There's a special event going on from today (Feb 23rd) to Mar 6th.
    Here're the list of gift away (will update as necessary);
    • Feb 23rd - 1 Dratini or Dragonair figure (random gift)
    • Feb 24th - 20 Gems
    • Feb 25th - 2 Rare Metal (R)
    • Feb 26th - 10 AI Tickets
    • Feb 27th - 20 Gems
    • Feb 28th - 1 Dragonair figure (R)
    • Mar 1st - 10 AI Tickets
    • Mar 2nd - 1 Booster Ticket
    • Mar 3rd - 20 Gems
    • Mar 4th - 10 AI Tickets
    • Mar 5th - 1 Booster Ticket
    • Mar 6th - *strangely none*

Review:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/316...t-clever-but-also-frequently-frustrating.html

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  15. Prectorian

Info:
    • Tomorrow (Mar 2), maintenance
    • Updating to v.3.0.3
    • More stats re-balancing
    • Some pokemon figures will no longer be obtainable

16. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

is this getting popular like pokemon go ? i read that you have to download a lot of extra content.

17. Prectorian

Not a lot, far less than installing Fire Emblem Heroes. It is gaining popularity, and not monotonous as PokeGO. The app allows for player vs AI, and player vs player, which is much like FEH is. Except FEH require downloading additional data from time to time, that's on top of updating the APK whenever an updated version is released.

But I'm very annoyed with my sour luck, haven't been lucky enough to acquire an EX figure. Been getting plenty of R, UC, and C figures. Haven't had to spend real cash on micro-transaction so far. Which is good.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  18. Prectorian

• V.3.0.5 update tomorrow (23/3).
    • Maintenance
    • Some figures no longer obtainable
    • Figure stats adjustment

19. Prectorian

21/6/2017;
    App down for maintenance/update, and figure adjustment as always

For those playing, expect it back online in a few more hours.

20. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

It will only be a few weeks before this game is modded to run offline.
    I'm working on it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.