1. This forum is in read-only mode.

My R4 games don't work...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jutah, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Jutah

Jutah Member

I just downloaded a bunch of ROMs from the site, but when I try to play them on my R4 none of them work. The game starts up, then just shows a blank white screen and nothing happens. Should I redownload, or is there something else I can do?

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

You must update your R4's firmware. If the R4 is one that still receive updates, then update the primary firmware, otherwise add a secondary firmware on top of it. I'm not going to recommend which secondary firmware you should add since there are over 3 dozen carts going by the name 'R4'. You must be specific about which R4 you have. We don't want to play guessing game. So list whatever info you can provide regarding that R4 you have, current firmware, full name of the cart, official website, picture of the cart, etc.

The problem you mention in the above post got nothing to do with the rom being faulty, it's your cart being out dated which is the problem.

3. Jutah

Jutah Member

I'm not sure how to determine what kind of firmware I have... It's an R4 for NDSL/NDS, that's all I know.

4. Prectorian

Not enough info. You must type out the full name of the cart as per mention on the sticker of it's body. Run the cart on the console, see if it say anything on the screen regarding firmware, or see it in the files within the SD Micro's content. Find matching picture on the net, and post the link to the image, find out the website of the cart too if necessary.

5. Jutah

Jutah Member

The sticker says "R4 Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)". When I run it, it says "R4 Revolution for DS R4DS English version v1.18". I can't see any firmware files on the micro-SD card... It looks like this. http://images.qctop.com/upload/R4DS-10897.jpg

6. Prectorian

Are you sure? No 'i' , 'SDHC', or 'Upgrade' behind the word 'R4"? If so then you have an original R4 that can only run 1GB or 2GB SD Micro, not any higher size chip. If your respond is 'yes'. Then you can use WOOD R4 for R4 original or YSMENU, choose which one you want, both should work. But if your's can run SDHC SD Micro cards, then try YSMENU/TTMENU only since WOOD will not work.

Wood R4 for R4 Original Link : http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=39701.0

YSMENU Link : http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=43121.0

Follow the tutorial stated in the link I provide. Make sure to back up the SD Micro's content first before following the installation instruction. Make sure to read through the tutorial and compatibility list first. If you got further question, ask in the respective link's topic.

By the way, latest WOOD R4 is v.1.54; YSMENU/TTMENU is v.6.93. You can find the v.1.54 WOOD in the last page of the link I provided.

7. Jutah

Jutah Member

Nope, just says R4 on the cart.

8. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

just upgrade to woodr4 v1.54 as prectorian posted link for ^^ it's made for the R4 Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)

Backup games and saves, format microSD chip and copy new firmware content onto microSD

9. Prectorian

Re: My R4 games don\'t work...

Try WOOD R4 for R4 Original. It will sure work on your cart. YSMENU too will work.
    But WOOD R4 should be easier to work around. Read the tutorial and instructions there.
    Make sure to back up SD Micro content before proceeding. Just in case you make a mistake.
    Post Merge: [time]1352201535[/time]
    @ Jhon,

Please take over.....going offline for awhile. >^v^<

10. Jhon 591

I'll try @prectorian

11. Jutah

Jutah Member

Okay, so I downloaded the latest version of Wood R4, and it says there'll be like a .zip folder that I should extract files from. Buuut... there isn't. There's just a "setup.exe" file. Is that right? 'Cause I don't want any viruses here...

12. Jhon 591

No that is not right, remove that delete it.

On filetrip click on the right not the left auto.

EDIT Direct link to page: http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-wood-r4-154-f31061.html

13. Jutah

Jutah Member

Yay, it works!
    Thanks a lot for all your help.

14. Prectorian

No problem. Follow the updates for WOOD R4 Original when you see one posted. it's currently v.1.54, it gets monthly update. If you got problem with the save file, check the START menu after running WOOD R4. Change the ".ds.sav" to ".sav" when needed.

15. Jhon 591

You're welcome glad to hear ;) ^^

16. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well this topic was eventful ;)
    Good work guys.

17. kimg

kimg New Member

im having same problem but i am novice so please dont laugh but do i download this while usb is in or on to my comp please help

18. Prectorian

Download the package to your computer, it might be a .ZIP/.RAR/.7z compressed file. Your DS can't read it. Not even .exe files can be read by the DS. Only after you unpack the downloaded compressed file then can you move them to your SD Micro.

Oh...just for laugh....you have to plug the USB device with the SD Micro in it to a USB port or use an SD Card Reader into the SD slot....no offence....I'm not laughing...really...just giggling.... :p

On a side note, you do know you need an extractor program to decompress the package....WINRAR or 7zip will do for Windows users. Mac users have to use other program, I don't own a MAC, so I'm not sure. But do make sure your cart is one that can use WOOD or YSMENU. Do read the compatibility list in either above link first. Also do back up before proceeding, you won't want to lose a file or two caused by accidental overwriting. Again....back up the SD Micro's content to the computer not to a piece of paper...... ;)

19. ofphenwa

ofphenwa New Member

Hi, I'm also having the same issue as the original poster of this topic. I can play the older NDS roms but not the newer ones; which means that I need to update my firmware.

However, I'm not sure which firmware I should be using. My R4 card is "R4 SDHC Revolution for the DS (NDSL/NDS)" and it's got the website address of www . r4ultra . com (which is now unaccessible for some reason). I'm not sure what software I'm using on the DS card now though but I can say that it's v1.56. Help is much appreciated!

20. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Please make your own topic in the "Flashcart Help" board.