1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[NDS]- Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Cjneeds6characters

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by CJneeds6characters, Jul 29, 2008.

1. CJneeds6characters

CJneeds6characters Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Developed By: Nintendo
    Published By: Nintendo
    Genre: Action, Adventure
    Rating: E for Everyone
    Platform: Nintendo Dual Screen
    Release Date: October 2, 2007
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    One of the greatest game for the Ds that utilizes every function fully. The Legend Of Zelda is the first of the Zelda games to hit the DS, and it didn't just freakin dent it, it smashed it.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    StoryLine: Short Version

Link is sailing the high seas with his pirate pals, including Tetra, who has forsaken her Zelda namesake and returned to her roguish ways, to find new land.

After sailing for awhile they come across the patch in the ocean covered with dense fog, where they find an abandoned ship. Tetra falls into danger while she explores the ship alone, and Link falls into the ocean while he attempts to rescue her. When he washes up unconscious on the shores of a mysterious island, he is awakened by the sound of a Fairies voice. With the aid of this Fairy, he sets off to find Tetra, and his way back to the seas he once knew.
    [​IMG]
    Link and Tetra
    This is (in my view) the best of the games for the DS which truly shines with the stylus-touch compatibility. There are many games that are very good but put the DS to shame with their button controls. This game is almost completely controlled  by the stylus, from talking to people to throwing bombs and drawing on your map to guiding you ship.
    There are three main ways to attack with your sword, one is to jab by just taping the enemy, another is to make an arc by the enemy that slashes it and the third is to make circles around Link for a spin attack. You can also pick up items like chickens and rocks to throw at enemies, all you got to do is tap the item and while your holding it up tap where you want to throw it.

[​IMG]                     [​IMG]

One of the cool thing in this game is the use of the map, which lets you lets you take notes of where to go, where treasure is or in what order you unlock a trap or anything else that might help you.

There are three main characters who are, Link, Tetra, and Lineback who is your ships driver and is also full of himself. He is the greedy one who seeks gold, and everyone thinks is very brave, ha, very early in the game you end up saving his sorry @$$. There are also several bosses that lead up to the evil main character and final boss Bellum. There is one instance that you switch control over to a Goron kid who gets lost in the Fire Temple.

[​IMG]                  

There are three diffrent races which are the Rocky/Fiery Gorons, the Icy Yooks and the Kokiri (Thanks Loony).

There are four diffrent areas, each which are only accessible by sea. In each area there is an abundant amount of Pirates, treasures and maybe even a couple islands that hold mini games

Guiding your ship is pretty easy, though rough waters will blow you back. All you have to do is hit a button to switch screens, draw a line to where you want to go, and sit back and relax until you see something you want to shoot with your cannon (which you get after the ship) like a fish, pirates or a sea monster.
    There are several shops on land and on sea which sell bombs, arrows, potions  and even a rare Heart Container.
    You are able to power up your sword every time you collect ten of one type of spirit. You then go to a small remote island and you can make those spirits possess your sword for special boosts.

There is cool thing in this game which I like to call "pimp my boat". After you first get your ship you are able to customize it with parts found under the sea or in the many "dungeons". There are diffrent themes from Tropical to Evil and Factory to the best "Golden".
    [​IMG]

The main Dungeon your going to be in is The Temple Of the Ocean King where your search for clues in the many leveled Dungeon/Temple.                                         
    This is where you'll first meet Bellum and where you meet his his strong and cruel guardians. This is a bad place to hang out as most of the floor damages you every second except for a few convenient spots on each floor.
    The levels in the dungeon are like puzzles in which you have to get a key or hit a series of switches to open the next door. With the guardians patrolling ,they'll come running after you and after one hit your dead and you can't even fight back (until later on). So to get past these guards you have to either run for your life, land in one of those convenient spots or find some invisibility potion.
    The music in this game is really nice despite it being not as good as the other Zelda/link games. When you play it, it is best that you use headphones especially for the cutscenes. There is not much wrong with the sound effects though.

So this adventure is on the DS and we shall see how it does....
    Presentation- 10-  Everything is easy to access and is explained clearly, while both screens are used to their fullest.

Graphics- 10- Amazing graphics, with greatness on everything. Everything fits in with the backround nicely, and with 3D, some nice animations and an overall good design this game is just stunning. (don't worry these screenshots I put in are not really what it looks like).

Sound- 8.5- The music and voice acting in the game is not that great and best heard with headphones but everything else is still pretty good.

Gameplay- 9-  With the controls easy to handle everthing should be fine with no glitches or lags. It's pretty hard not to hit something when you swing your sword. Since the gameplay is almost all stylus it can get tiring (I suggest using a closed pen or a NDS Lite stylus for easier handling).

Lasting Appeal-9- Although most likely you are going to finish this game in about 17-23 hours, if you spend time customizing you ship an finding treasure (etc.) you can easily take it to 25-28 hours. Although this game is an RPG so once you finish it if you ever feel like slicing some monsters or fighting some pirates it's always there for you. Plus theres multiplayer battling and trading to think about.

Overall- 46.5- A great game suited just for the DS which will give you neverending joy. Tra la la, la la.

My 2nd review, Hope you liek:)   (It's a bit short, I know)                 [​IMG]  [​IMG]

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

link was a kokiri in the other games, and the pointed ears fit that. This game makes me think of wind waker quite a bit.

3. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

this game is a continuation of wind waker.

anyway, good review.
    I didn't like the ALL-stylus controls, so I applied the D-pad hack, which allows me to use the D-pad for moving around.

I really didn't get into this game because of the graphics. It tries to model its graphics on Wind Waker, but it just doesn't work for me since the graphics are severely scaled down, obviously. When I play it, I see a bunch of pointy edges on the character models and sometimes it looks like it clips too much. Graphics are pretty good for the DS, but again, as I have mentioned before, not up to my standards. I don't mind 2d games, as long as it looks clean. Just like the Street Fighter series, sometimes 2d is better than 3d.

you seem to have fun with page breaks.
    some of those towards the bottom aren't really needed...

you said goran kid. do you mean goron kid?
    I know you said goron later in the review so that looks like a typo to me.

just a few corrections:
    citezens = citizens.
    There is are different themes from Tropical to Evil and Factory to the best "Golden."
    there's some other minor errors, but overall, good job.

4. CJneeds6characters

CJneeds6characters Well-Known Member

Thanks,  I fixed everything up.

My first review on Phantom Crash took me half a day thisone took me about a day-day and a half.

After writing this review I realized that I like putting capitols in random places like Attack, The and other words that sometimes need emphasis

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Nice review, love this game, managed to beat it. The random guy at the end (or Linebeck) was awesome.

6. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Nice review, though still did'nt finish it.

7. romz_mark

romz_mark Well-Known Member

Nice review. I always get stuck at the start of this game. :D ;)

8. ultra

ultra Guest

WOW!

that is the feeling you get when you play this game. there are a lot of neat ideas here that were implemented by the nintendo team and they worked pretty well [arrow stage boss for instance was pretty awesome on how they used the ds hardware]. it's just to show you that they do think out of the box a lot more then you'd think as compared to what other developers are doing.

9. fireflow20

fireflow20 New Member

what i don't get is the final battle with bellum in the ocean kings temple. i tried to beet him up after the cut cene but you have to stop time and it wouldn't. i tried drawing a figure 8 in any way possible but it still didn't work. i hit the button and drew but nothing! what is wrong with me!? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

10. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

i didn't like it from the start, but it eventually grew on me.

i definitely recommend this game.

11. Charred

Charred New Member

I agree with several of the members who have posted before me. At first the game is somewhat slow and rather boring to play. However, as the story progresses, you'll find yourself more emerged within the gameplay. At a certain point though, I do admit that there will probably be a standstill because you're groaning trying to get past a specific part. I know that I haven't touched the game after I've played it halfway because I'm still begrudgingly wondering if I really want to spend time figuring out the puzzles. Overall though, fun gameplay. Pretty much what you expect from the Zelda series. I liked some of it's GBA counterparts a little bit more though (Minish Cap, etc.)

12. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

13. Avatar33

same makes me think back to the good old days

14. Surfoleon

Surfoleon Active Member

i put so many cheats on it with my r4 cheat code thing, it crashed and now i cant play it nomore. :(

15. markie

markie Well-Known Member

Yep,, you should'nt use much cheats.

16. Altarius95

Altarius95 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I loved this game. Also, you forgot one race, the Anouki. And Link is Hylian. It's explained in Ocarina of Time.