1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[NDS] Pokemon Platinum - raysie

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by sexywogboy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

(DS) Pokemon Platinum - raysie

[​IMG]

So another year comes with another Pokemon game from GameFreak. This time around with Pokemon Platinum. Pokemon Platinum goes along the lines with Pokemon Yellow, Crystal and Emerald Versions. Where the creators of the game adds a little more features to their previous games, in this case Pokemon Diamond/Pearl.

Now if you have ever played the original Pokemon series of games before, you know what to expect in this game. Catching, collecting, trading, training and battling with your Pokemon are still a feature in Pokemon platinum.

When you start playing Pokemon Platinum, a Pokemon professor named Rowan talks to you and gives you advice about what buttons and information you need to know before you start playing the game. During the end of talking to Professor Rowan you get to chose if you want to play in the Pokemon Adventure as a Boy or Girl. You'll quickly notice a difference from the Pokemon Platinum protagonist boy and girl to the protagonist Pokemon Diamond/Pearl boy and girl. They are wearing winter clothing, I wonder why? Now after that little chat with Professor Rowan, you will finally get the chance to get walking, or so I thought, your freind (who I will call Marcus) will stop you from your tracks as soon as you start to walk. Marcus seems to be very commited to getting a Pokemon and thinks that going to Professor Rowan and asking him for a Pokemon will be the way. So the protagonist (who we'll call Raysie) follows Marcus. To only be stopped once again this time by his mother telling Raysie not to walk into tall grass without a Pokemon. No suprise raysie doesn't listen to his mother and runs into tall grass with Marcus anyway, or so they nearly did, only to be stopped by the man they are looking for, Professor Rowan. Professor Rowan was so nice about the situation that he decides to give you and Marcus a choice to pick one out of three Pokemon on offer. The Grass Pokemon Turtwig, the Fire Pokemon Chimchar and the Water Pokemon Piplup. It really doesn't have a big difference or impact on who you pick to start off with.

Pokemon battles have always been very plain and simple, but there have been little updates since Pokemon Diamond/Pearl to lighten battles up a bit. You'll notice when you throw your Pokemon into battle in Pokemon Platinum they have a little animation, sometimes either looking back at the trainer or looking straight at the opponent, I found this to be a nice little addition into Pokemon Platinum. There are also other noticeable little differences during battles, the health bar status box has changed from white to black and also Pokemon Sprites have slightly changed since Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, which is always nice to see.

Gameplay in Pokemon Platinum has not changed since the very first edition of Pokemon Red/Blue versions. You still walk, ride bicycles and surf on the back of water Pokemon like always. Anyone can easily pick up and play Pokemon Platinum even if they have never played any game in the Pokemon series before.

One of the reasons of Pokemon Platinum's existence was to fix or add some features that were not seen in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl. This included more choice of Pokemon to catch, more side quests, added characters into the main game, more online features and more life into the game once the game was finished. One of the greatest features included in Pokemon Platinum was the return of Battle Fronteir, you may remember Battle Fronteir from Pokemon Emerald. Battle Fronteir is where the strongest Pokemon Trainers in the Sinnoh region participate in a number of battling events including the Battle Tower. Battle Fronteir can become a place to visit as often as you want once you have beaten the main game. Battle Fronteir will also probably be where you spend most of your time in Pokemon Platinum once the main game is finished, just for it's amount of longetivity and lack of boringness in the area.

[​IMG]

Another new feature added into Pokemon Platinum was the introduction of The Distortion World where everything seems to be much different from where you normally travel, in The Distortion World you can walk up and down walls and paths. The Distortion World is also where you catch the featured pokemon of the game, Giratina in origin form.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Although Pokemon Platinum has some great added features from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl it still basicly feels the same as it's predessors. Playing Pokemon Platinum this time round after Diamond/Pearl felt repetitive and nothing much different to the main part of the game.

Pokemon Platinum does become more enjoyable as you get more into the game though, with the added features of The Distortion World and Battle Fronteir.

All in all, Pokemon Platinum is a solid game added into the Pokemon game collection. While there are some negatives to the game, the positives do strongly out weigh them. As a Pokemon fan myself, I strongly enjoyed the game and with the added features of more online play and the Battle Fronteir, playing the game for 200 hours plus is not impossible. It's just great to see another original Pokemon game into the series.

Presentation- 8/10: All the Pokemon games in the series have always been well presented with easy to read text, colours, art and cities, and Pokemon Platinum has done no different.

Graphics- 7/10: As Pokemon Platinum has hung on strongly to it's roots, most of the game is in 2D. This doesn't stop the fact that the introduction of The Distortion World has been greatly imported into Platinum, with also cute little sprites and buildings to make you happy the game is still in 2D.

Sound- 6/10: Even though Pokemon Platinum has some great themes in the game, it hasn't changed much at all from previous Pokemon games in the series. The themes in Platinum still have a classic feel to them, that it makes you wonder why gamefreak havn't used more of what the DS can offer.

Gameplay- 8/10: Gameplay has always been Pokemon's strongest attribute in their games, in Pokemon Platinum nothing changes, it still has it's great easy to pick up gameplay for the young audience and it's more technical part of the gameplay for the adult audience. Only negatives are, the lack of use for the DS stylus and touchscreen, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to finish the game without your DS stylus.

Replayability- 6/10: The replayability of Pokemon Platinum falls from previous Pokemon games in the series, as most players of this game would have already played and finished Pokemon Diamond/Pearl for long amounts of hours. It's hard enough to play Pokemon Platinum the first time round, than having to replay the game again.

Total Score- 35/50: Pokemon Platinum is still a great game, just a repetetive one. You don't feel as if your gaining much if you have finished Platinum if you have already finished Diamond/Pearl. I just didn't feel the enjoyment I felt from Diamiond/Pearl in Platinum. Saying that, if your looking for a great RPG to play on the Nintendo DS this year to take some gameplay time of your hands, Platinum won't do you wrong.

-Sexywogboy

2. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

Re: [DS] Pokemon Platinum - Sexywogboy

Very nice !
    I think we've got another Elite Reviewer here, guys!

3. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

yeah this is a really nice review we got here!

4. sexywogboy

Really? Thanks!

I feel I can add alot more to future reviews.

I've always wanted to vent my opinions on games that I've played, and this seems to be the right way of doing it. :D

5. CloudBoii12

Indeed, it is.
    You see above your stars, where it says "Handheld gamer"?
    Well, if you keep reviewing, you may get something extra above that, saying "Elite Reviewer"
    And you've only been in these forums for like three days, haven't you ? (ar, at least, active for around 3 days ?)

6. sexywogboy

Re: [NDS] Pokemon Platinum - Sexywogboy

Well I've actually been registered on Romulation since September 2008 :p But more recently I've become more active here.

7. CloudBoii12

Yes, it's what usually happens:
    "I need help with [xxxxxxxx]... Hey, this place has a forum?
    COOL!
    *loads forum* *starts topic*: "Hey, I need help with [xxxxxxxx]"
    *immediate answer*
    OH YEAH!
    Hey I LOVE THIS PLACE!"
    Well, that's what happened with me !

8. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

You must have waited to accumulate some points, haven't you?

Anyway, a very good review, sexywogboy!!!

9. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Nice review :) Will definitely pass approval :)

10. mangekyo

mangekyo Active Member

Nice one.Keep up the good work.

11. Karl202623

Karl202623 Well-Known Member

I Have To Admit,It Is Getting repetitive.The Story Line And Gameplay Never Changes.

They Should Add Some Touchscreen Features For The Game..

12. krazyyaj

krazyyaj Well-Known Member

it becomes really boring after a while. this game kind of kills the fun and excitement of catching them all.
    the new features are not too bad. but this game really isn't all that.
    the bringing back of the original intro was nice however. (walk in tall grass, meet proffesor, get pokemon and battle rival)
    brings back memories.

13. Kingo33

Kingo33 Well-Known Member

Thanks I'm going to get Pokemon diamond or pearl or platinum

14. MrNeutral

MrNeutral Member

i dont no i'm kinda pissed at how repetive the last few pokemon games have been i still prefer the old 1-3 games so anything really up till emerald cause the creativity going into the new pokemon has kinda screwd over for me and i just dont like any of em specially that DAMN BIDOOF IT CAN GO BURN IN HELL