1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[NDS] Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows - sithious

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by sithious, Oct 28, 2008.

1. sithious

sithious New Member

[​IMG]
    Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows
    Developer: Amaze Entertainment
    Publisher: Activision
    Review by sithious​

So, who of us isn't used to game mass production? Sometimes we can clearly see that films, cartoons and other media get cheaply converted into gaming format only to bring massive amounts of profit to the table. Ive played many comic book based games and altough I love the medium, I feel that 90% of the time I'm ripped of and feel like I have wasted my time.
    Fortunately this time around I couldn't possibly feel more diffrent! This game delivers with such exploding fun factor that It simply cant be neglected. It Is safe to say that the developers did an excellent job in Web Of Shadows and I solute them!

The Good:
    -Incredible fastpaced gameplay with a wide selection of butt kicking moves
    -Fluid animation, everything flows perfect in this game
    -Excellent graphic detail, The backgrounds and characters look very crisp

The Bad
    -Too short, It only took me 4,5 hours to finish this
    -Too dark, (The fact is that I still use my DS Fat. Some colors aren't visible enough)

Story

The game starts of with our friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man encountering several simbiote like things (Venom stile monsters). So the story kicks of with you having to investigate the matter. It turns out that the city was overrun by these slimy simbiotes and Its your job to strike at their hive and wipe them out!
    Ok so the story doesn't sound to great but It turns out that It hooks you just enough to make you want to continue playing not only because the kick-butt fights, but also because of the story outcome.

[​IMG]
    Some story screens throughout the game​

Gameplay
    This is where this game really shines in all its glory. It seems that the developers really put their money on this aspect as Web Of Shadows, as this was easily one of the best action games I have played on the platform. The games animation goes hand in hand with this aspact as the main focus of the game.
    You have a variety of different moves which you buy using experience points you get in battle and all of the moves look stunning in the very fast paced combat of this game.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In game shots​
    There are also two Spidey suits available (the red and black), which can be switched throut gameplay and both have diffrent advantages and disadvantages.
    They have also mixed up the dieing formula in this game. Insted of getting the gameover screen when they knock you out, you get a chance to collect health orb's with the stylus on the bottom screen and if you do it fast enough you can even max your health out.
    [​IMG]
    Transcision to black suit

Visuals and Sound
    As mentioned earlier the visuals in this game are top-notch. The game altough being a sidecroller, has 3d graphics and looks ever so crisp. The detail in the background are wonderful and the dark evil-ish feeling always present in the game. Badguys are varied but once you've seen all of them they'll just get more powerfull and wear different colour skins.
    The part that botherd me most in the graphics area would have to be the last few enemies you face. Now as I mentioned I play on the DS Fat which means my lighting isn't that great. And although I had no problem finishing and seeing most of this game, the end enemies were sometimes very difficult to see due to their black colour in the dark surrounding.
    I am very sure however that If one were to play this on a DS lite they would have no such problems.

The music in the game altough being good Is nothing special. I must however point out the excelante voice acting present in the game which is a must have plus for a Spider-Man product. The sound effects are also not neglectable and can be very impressive.

Closing Comments

I had an enormous amount of fun with this game and I think anyone would. The only really disappointing factor is that its over Way too soon. The gameplay is a blast, the visuals are wonderfull, Its neither hard nor easy, thus providing a wonderful amount of difficulty without being frustrating.
    Overall hands down on this one. One of my favorites on the DS!

Rating:
    Plot 8.5/10
    Engaging story, could be better
    Graphics 9.5/10
    Awsome grahics, almoast 10 if not for the darkness
    Gameplay 10/10
    Hands down one of the best ver on the DS
    Sound 8.5/10
    Great voice acting, avrage music
    Replay Value 8/10
    The shortness makes it not too replayable​

44.5/50 = 9.0

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Re: Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows - sithious

Excellent first review, it is clear that you have read the guidelines and followed them, so thats extra props to you. There are a few typos/misspellings that got passed the proofreading, but other than that an all-round good review.

3. dmac154

dmac154 Well-Known Member

Nice review Sithious! As loony said, I'm pretty sure you read the rules. Hope to see more :)

4. sithious

sithious New Member

Yeah I tried my best. As you said my spelling is really bad so I cant help that, but I tried to follow all the guidelines given in the sticky. I hope It helps someone with their choice to play this game. I had a lot of fun.:)

5. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Nice work. I would be interested to play this now that I have some general idea what the game is like. For some reason I really prefer reading user reviews to the professionals. They seem so much more less generic and more helpful.

6. darksynyster

darksynyster Well-Known Member

Nice review. The game is excellent but it is too short. I've been playing it for an hour and I already have 24% of it done. I would have liked the game to be a little longer but it is still pretty fun.

7. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

Well , i really enjoyed this game... But boses are hard ... hmmm... in a second thought , one of the best DS games ever...

8. bimalhero

bimalhero Member

Yea one of my best game ever played on DS, the bosses are difficult >.<

9. cab9541

cab9541 Well-Known Member

awsome review. i would have to agree with you on the graphics the most, they were top notch for a ds game

10. safc15

safc15 Member

great review!

11. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

great review man, this game was the best spiderman game on the DS!

12. adfk

adfk Well-Known Member

Hey all you guys above me, plz plz plz tell me how to get past downtown. I found it but I get stuck somewhere I really want help, and if you need any more specification I may be able to help you to help me (did that make sense?). thnx
    Post Merge: [time]1246499443[/time]
    oh, by the way, how do you put images on your reviews? i really want help people.

13. adfk

adfk Well-Known Member

never mind, i found out how to put images in reviews.

14. Kingo33

Kingo33 Well-Known Member

Thankz for da review but i had this game and for me itz wack

15. iluvgtavcs

iluvgtavcs Guest

mmmmm.... I really did not like the game...

16. Croassassin

Croassassin Well-Known Member

i kinda liked the game got boring quicly though :S

17. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

I'm not really a fan of platforming, but in the past few days, I've been getting into it through The Simpsons, AC and Castlevania. Maybe this'll be my next venture, thanks to this review bud.