1. This forum is in read-only mode.

New Laptop's Specs?

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by boredsimon, May 18, 2013.

1. boredsimon

boredsimon Well-Known Member

Haven't written a post in a while...

Anyway, I recently purchased a custom laptop from HP for college and here are the specs:

Windows 7
    3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3820
    Nvidia Geforce GT 650M 2GB DDR3 Memory
    8GB DDR3 System Memory
    1TB Hard Drive
    32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    15.6 Inches (1920x1080)

So my question is, do you guys think this laptop will be good for gaming?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no. As a rule laptops are not good for gaming. even if the hardware can run games, they tend to overheat when you do.

3. boredsimon

boredsimon Well-Known Member

I only asked if they could run the games. I don't need some biased opinion concerning laptop gaming.
    I know that laptops are not optimal for gaming, but I built that laptop so that it would be better than my current desktop.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it's neither biased nor an opinion, it's a fact. computer hardware, especially high end CPUs and graphics cards, put out vast amounts of heat, and it's just not possible to remove it from the confined case of a laptop quickly enough.

whether or not it will run a game depends on the game, but those specs on paper should run most games from the last few years. Don't be surprised if the machine overheats and damages itself though.

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Don't argue with Loonylion.
    Computers and networking is his field of work, so he knows a lot better than pretty much everyone.

6. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

That laptop will take you far in terms of productivity. You shouldn't be concerned about whether your laptop is capable of high-performance gaming. You're in college, and you are likely pouring money into that education one way or another. The last thing you want is anything that can be a distraction, especially if you have a term-paper due, or an exam coming up.

Focus on finishing that degree, so that you can have a successful financial future (assuming you are choosing the right field of study).