1. This forum is in read-only mode.

nintendo classic mini - just announced!

Discussion in 'General News' started by Jhon 591, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. Jhon 591

Although could do better and hook every game that came out in less then a gigabye!

3. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I'll stick to using emu, thank you very much. :p

4. Pikmania

Pikmania Member

I have some NES games on VC for the Wii U, but I can't stand looking at them on my HDTV. I only play them on the gamepad. I think a lot of people are going to buy this thinking it's going to be great only to quickly realize that they can't stand looking at it for long periods of time.

5. Jhon 591

I agree :) and all games in less then about 1.5 GB , also it dose use hdmi so it says.

6. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

I think it would work in the same way as the SEGA retro consoles with pre-installed games. But it won't run real cartridges.

I'm happy that Double Dragon II and Castlevania are included. But where are Duck Tales, Chip and Dale and TMNT 3? Or why not the "awful" NES-versions of Metal Gear and its sequel Snake's Revenge?

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

or duck hunt

8. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12194966/nintendo-mini-nes-classic-edition-no-internet-new-games

9. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Sorry Nintendo! I should better using PC emulator for enjoying NES games! :p

10. NintyRaccoon

I think it would be difficult to play Duckhunt. Doesn't it require a NES Zapper to play?

11. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

yes it does, and the nes zapper doesnt work with modern displays

12. NintyRaccoon

No...! Then I guess the SNES Super Scope doesn't work with modern displays as well?!

Are old TV-monitors extinct now? They're nowhere to be found (unless finding them at junk yards or flea markets)?

13. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

most likely, from what iv read the problem is that modern displays have a slight input lag (presumably from upscaling the image).

as far as i know you can only get them 2nd hand

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

nothing to do with upscaling, LCDs work fundamentally different to CRTs and therefore the timings are off, which breaks lightguns.

15. NintyRaccoon

Oh... :(

Since you're here, Loonylion, what do you think of the mini NES? Is it just a box with an emulator and rom files?

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Those "Disney" titles and TMNT are "Licensed" games, so including 'em in this worthless and pathetic gimmicky box would be a hassle for Nintendo. About the NES Metal Gear games, they're only "awful" if you look at 'em with a next Gen gamer's perspective, however... look at 'em with an NES era perspective then they'll have a better appeal. If you want awful NES games, try most of LJN's licensed games... well except for Wolverine and Friday the 13th which I actually enjoyed at the time.

17. NintyRaccoon

That's true, but the same could/should be said about Tecmo Bowl (Koei Tecmo); Castlevania & Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Konami) and Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Data East/Acclaim), to name a few. Why isn't it a hassle for Ninty to get the permission to include them in the box?

I was ironic, hence my use of quotation marks. The NES Metal Gear games will always have a special place in my heart. They're never awful to me, even if "Snake's Revenge" is a very difficult game.

"Metal Gear" for me is about Cold War-esque espionage found in the games prior to the overrated (sorry everyone!) "Metal Gear Solid" and its prequels/sequels - filled with lots of supernatural, sci-fi, crazy plot holes, Les (Trois) Enfants Stupides (yes, I changed the adjective), strange mechas and sexualized female characters.

Frankly, the only "Solid" games from the later era which I like are the non-canon "Ghost Babel" and "Metal Gear Solid Touch" (simplified and "toned down" version of MGS4 for iOS).

I actually have touched LJN-titles for NES and Gameboy, all of them Spider-Man games. They really are "different" (in a negative sense) compared with later Spider-Man games.

18. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Those were properties own by fellow videogame Developers and/or Publishers which are "easier" to re-acquire seeing as they're from similar industries. As for TMNT, Disney and other "materials" taken from "other media", those are properties owned by their respective owners and whose "representations" in videogame format was only licensed to the game developers/Publishers due to a contract. In short, Nintendo would have to pay for the rights to re-release those games in this "box" to multiple parties, the game publisher/developer and the outside media owners. This is the same reasoning behind the fact why Nintendo and even Sony can not release the "Super Robot Taisen/Wars" franchise outside of Japan, other than the "OG" (Originals Generation) games because of the fact that the whole franchise would be a licensing nightmare to port. Also the games only have a niche following outside of Japan, ergo they're part of the otaku and/or Weeaboo sub-culture.

19. NintyRaccoon

That's a sad truth which many casual players and me don't think of in the beginning. I mean, I'm sure many people would love to be able to replay Duck Tales and Chip & Dale because they were so good. And now this won't be possible because of the copyright/license.

I personally think Disney would gain more by allowing Nintendo & Capcom to re-release their NES-games, since more people (of the new generation) will be aware of and (hopefully) be interested in the classic cartoons. Or DC Comics allowing Nintendo & Sunsoft to re-release Batman ("the best Batman-game before Batman: Arkham" according to some people).

*Sigh* With all of these limitations, I think I'll stick to playing NES games on my computer instead. Sorry Ninty!

20. wiiguyfoff

wiiguyfoff New Member

This mini console is aimed at 18-34yr old hipsters. They will sell a bunch though. The $60 price seems a tad steep but since it has the Nintendo seal (may or may not be 1st party though) I can understand. I hope the games run good, I'm skeptic.
    The neat thing is $10 for extra controllers that can swap with wii classic, etc. If these new nes controllers work well with the virtual console, 8/16bit ported classics then they are a steal imo. Hopefully, maybe, they will do the same for Super Nintendo.