1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PC Games for Beginners ?!

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by rock91, Jul 25, 2013.

1. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

Yo Romu,

So I moved in with my girlfriend and now we got a Gaming PC in our household and I play a lot of PC games. She seems to want to play too. She's not really a big gamer, she mostly played Facebook games so far because her laptop was crap and she wants to expand to REAL games. Her skill level is 4/10 i'd say for modern games.

So far she played Torchlight 1 and 2 and she seems to be getting good at it, she actually likes it so I guess her genre is RPG. We are experimenting different genres like FPS, RTS, Action Games, Racing etc. until I find out what she enjoys so I can get the right games for her.

Would love some suggestions on what games would be good as a start for someone who doesn't know that much about gaming.

Any ideas?

PS: So far we tried Torchlight 1 and 2 (which she likes a lot), COD: Black Ops 2 ( she hates it when she dies), Bastion, Beat Hazzard, Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012, Tekken Dark Resurrection on PSP, Daxter on PSP, Pokemon Ruby & Fire Red & Emerald (She's really good at pokemon games since she played them when she was younger), Portal 1 and 2 and The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap on the GBA

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

elder scrolls series for rpg, start her off on morrowind or oblivion. theres also fallout 3 and new vegas.

FPS wise doom and quake are must plays, (the originals if possible, and the original wolfenstein)

3. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is a very good game similar to torchlight

4. danielbhatt

danielbhatt Well-Known Member

Counter Strike would be a better start for FPS.

5. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

World of Warcraft 1.12.1

I would recommend it fully if blizzard actually offered a server that you could play on legit, but all that's left are private servers.

Although, vanilla is quite hard compared to all of the expansions...but that's what makes it a much better game than MoP and that shit.

6. Nachtholm

Nachtholm Member

Minecraft is a good, fairly easy sandbox game.
    Civilization IV would be fantastic for strategy starter.
    the KOTOR games make good, easy western RPGs though any Fable game would also work.
    Diablo II is a good start for dungeon crawling (though Dungeon Siege II is also a close contender).
    most RTS addicts got their start on Starcraft or Warcraft, so either of those is a good idea.
    for Adventure games pick an old Lucas Arts Adventure game that suits her media interests (any Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion 2, Sam and Max or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis are good choices).
    Amnesia is a good intro to survival horror, though I hear Slender also does a good job.
    Braid, The Cave or any number of Indy 2D side scrollers are a good place to start (as are any number of emulated titles)
    As mentioned before the original trinity of ID shooters are good ideas as is Half Life, Personally I believe that since she is already more into RPGs that Skyrim, Fallout 3 or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines might be a better idea.
    Also, I got my wife addicted to Portal, so that might be a good idea.

best advice though would be to let her play anything you have that catches her interest. Ask what she likes or hates about what she's playing and try to match games to her answers...