1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pokemon Starters

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by harmony18arias, Jun 8, 2010.

1. harmony18arias

harmony18arias Active Member

Who do you recommended to you use Bulbasaur, Squirtle or Charmander?
    (As your starter pokemon)

2. Contradiction

Contradiction Member

I'd prefer Squirtle mainly because of it's potential and it's potential moveset, having Earthquake and Ice Beam as its future evolution (Blastoise). Don't get me wrong, I don't compete for anything in my life nor do I enforce this Pokemon to you. It's YOUR opinion not mine (in most cases). Charmander and Bulbasaur are pretty decent too.

3. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

Charmander is the best starter, it evolves it Charlizard and is almost invincible ;D Blastoise is a defensive type, Charlizard is a attack type and Venusauar is a balance type, its your choice but 70% of the people choose charmander as their first starter ;D

4. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Depends on the game you're playing.

Water types are the preffered starters if you want an easy playthrough
    Grass types for normal
    and Fire types for a little challenge.

5. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I find fire types to be for the easy play through. I can get through Sapphire with pretty much nothing but the fire starter in about 11 hours (my record).

Fire types are traditionally the overpowered ones but with the most weaknesses overall. Water is traditionally the defensive one that is hard to beat if trained right. The grass starter as previously stated is the balanced one and is the best for a challenging experience since they are middle of the road.

6. Stanley Richards

He asked for the three 1st gen starters, so he's probably referring to Red,Blue,Green,Fire red or Leaf Green. for the 1st and 2nd gen games, Fire starters were the hardest to play through early on.

7. LuckyTrouble77

They are the hardest early on, but are by far the easiest to use past the second gym. Until then you can just get a throw away Pokemon to use to get you through the first couple of gyms. Or, you can over level the fire starter and it can even beat rock types and water types easily. You want difficult, try getting past the rock gym on Pokemon Yellow. Nearly impossible because of what you can actually get before that gym.

8. Stanley Richards

Mankey. Use Mankey.

9. LuckyTrouble77

It is easy to screw up when looking for a Mankey. They have an oddly rare occurrence when you are actually looking for them. By the time I do find it, I usually can't weaken it without one hitting it. Kind of sucks.

10. Stanley Richards

...what? I never ever beat a mankey accidentally while trying to find it. It's actually quite easy. Or you could get a butterfree, I think it learns confusion upon evolving,

11. joanis96

joanis96 New Member

It's better to catch a male or female Nidoran that learn double kick at lvl 12 if I don't miss

12. LuckyTrouble77

Well, back to the subject matter:

I would personally go with Charmander, as I always take the fire starter. I just love its offensive power later on.

13. Stanley Richards

Mankey can kick ass at once it learns low kick at level 7 (I think), It's faster. Mankey has a bit more attack power. Plus. Karate Chop helps alot later on.

But you know, Charizard has many weaknesses, compared to the other starters. It trades defence for offence.
    The grass type is usually balanced.

14. LuckyTrouble77

As I already said before. :p

15. Stanley Richards

Huh? Grass types are for challenges? You know, Grass types are balanced. Think of it like

Fire - Easy
    Grass - Normal
    Water - Hard

Or vice versa, depending on the game.

16. LuckyTrouble77

I find the grass type to be the hardest since they don't focus on either offense or defense. There is no two stats or so to really try and focus on with your move set, yes there aren't as many weaknesses to worry about with the fire starter. The water starter is pretty easy to get through the game with really, as they just turn into absolute defensive tanks later on. Not much can take them down that isn't super effective, while the fire starter will usually get pretty speedy and depend on speed and strength to take out opponents before they can react.

The grass starter doesn't get either of these advantages, but doesn't truly receive the downfalls of either. The balance is difficult to work with though. For the most part, I tend to use the grass type as a special attack beast.

17. Stanley Richards

I feel like Grass starters need to EV train to be good. Fire and Water already get the stats, but Grass is like custom train.

You can't have a crazy defense tank with a fire Pokemon. But you CAN have a speed attacker for a Grass type. I feel like Grass types are more versatile.

18. LuckyTrouble77

That is why grass types are so hard to use. There is so much that can be done with it, it is stupidly easy to screw it up.

19. Stanley Richards

Grass types are for experienced users, who know what their doing.

20. LuckyTrouble77

Which isn't me. I suck at EV training hard since I've usually screwed it up by the time I bother trying to get to it. I'm nowhere near dedicated to breed a Pokemon from scratch for the pure purpose of making it super powered.