1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PS3 game recommendations

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by light_x_dark, Jun 17, 2013.

1. light_x_dark

light_x_dark Well-Known Member

Hello. The announcement of the PS4 has caused a nice dent in PS3 prices where I live, so I'm planning to finally get one.

I'm pretty out of touch with the PS3 scene, so can anyone recommend some to me? I'll try pretty much anything except sports games. Western RPGs, JRPGs, fighting games, racing games, platformers, shooters, whatever.

Also, I don't plan on playing online so try to leave out any multiplayer-heavy games please.

2. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

The Last of US
    Heavy Rain
    Gran Turismo 5
    Resistance, 1, 2 and 3
    Ni no Kuni
    Killzone 2 and 3 :D

3. Niflheim

Niflheim Horrible evil rat

If you like JRPG's then try these, they're mostly pretty entry level but they're good all the same:

Nier.
    Dragon's Dogma: DA.
    Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls).
    Valkyria Chronicles.
    Tales of Graces F.
    Disgaea 3 & 4.
    The Atelier series.
    Ar Tonelico.
    Resonance of Fate.
    Hyperdimensional Neptunia MK.II & Victory. (One is okay but I'd recommend that you skip it, it tends to put a lot of people off of the series.)
    Ni no Kuni.
    Mugen Souls. (Kind of messy/unpolished but a fun game if you can get into it.)
    Rune Factory: Oceans.
    Folklore.
    White Knight Chronicles I & II.

Oh, and Dragon's Crown and The Witch and a Hundred Knights are releasing soon which both look pretty good, so they're worth checking out as well.

4. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

You should try Catherine.
    Or buy PlayStation plus, if you want to discover gems for a low price.

5. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Plus is generally worth the price.

Also Uncharted. Pick one, pick them all.

6. light_x_dark

Yeah, I was already thinking of getting Plus.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations, guys. These should last me a while.

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Been playing The Last of Us for the last week or so, hit the 60% completion mark, and if you could only own one game for the PS3, this is it. Better than Uncharted. In fact, if you go back and play Uncharted, you'll think it's way too easy.

I've been also playing Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny (Oceans). I like it because it focuses more on the action/exploration than farming this time around.

Everyone's already recommended the base of JRPGs already.
    Definitely needs some WRPGs love:
    Dragon Age I with the expansion (I hear II isn't as fun)
    Fallout 3/New Vegas
    Mass Effect series
    Skyrim

Not even sure what the hell to categorize Bioshock in, but that series as well.

And since we're all pirates here, we all have 3.55-4.41 CFW right?

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

DEMON'S SOULS
    DARK SOULS

WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED???????????????? NOTHING THOSE GAMES ARE 99% PERFECTION CAUSE FUCK YOU YOU DIE

Probably Last of Us, really good, only a few problems, reaaaaaaaaaaaally fun multiplayer surprisingly.

9. light_x_dark

I decided against getting Plus in the end. Figured my internet is too shitty to justify paying the subscription fee anyway.

Just gonna put CFW on it, I guess.

Also, thanks for the additional suggestions. I already had Dark Souls and Skyrim in mind before I asked, but not the others.

10. insanecrazy07

Good luck putting CFW on any PS3 console. If you have anything newer than 3.55 OFW on anything newer than the PS3 slim, you're SOL.

11. light_x_dark

Getting hold of a CFW-compatible PS3 is actually really easy over here. Most shops even pre-install the CFW if you can't be bothered to set it up yourself.

12. Astyanax32

Astyanax32 Member

If you are an action and platforming fan, like me, I highly recommend the Ratchet & Clank Future series, plus the R&C, Sly, and Jak & Daxter collections, if you don't have them on PS2 already. ;) (I'm actually re-playing the entire R&C series at the moment, gonna take forever, but they are still fun as hell) Oh, and for a unique adventure/RPG game, check out Folklore.

13. insanecrazy07

Must be nice. I treat mine like gold. They're harder to find now since 3.55 was a long time ago.

14. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

You can get them at auction sites here, just be prepared to pay upwards of NZ$400.

15. Nachtholm

Nachtholm Member

Try these:
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Infamous Collection
    Little Big Planet 2
    Little Big Planet Karting
    Playstation All Stars Battle Royal
    Gran Turismo 5
    the Assassin's Creed Series
    Prototype
    the Prince of Persia series
    Journey
    Dust514
    DC Universe Online (works on my .5 meg internet)
    Armored Core 4 or 5

this should keep you occupied for quite a long time.