1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[Question] NDS vs. No$gba

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeermius, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Zeermius

Zeermius Member

Okay, I got my R4 card today and downloaded/transferred a Pokémon Diamond ROM onto it. I was wondering, is there any real advantage to playing it on the PC using an emulator and then tranferring it to my R4, or should I just play it on the DS?

It's nice playing on the DS, but I was just curious if there were any major features of No$GBA that I'm missing out on (E.G. Frame Skipping in VisualBoyAdvance)

Also, is this the right section to post this in? I'm new here, and even after reading the different forums I'm not entirely certain where to post things ^^'

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no, emulators have little to no advantage over the ds.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Only possible one is you can record the action on an emulator, with a real ds you need to use a camera over the screen....

Only the older more perfected emulators like epsxe has any advantage, that's saving the need to burn disc or slight graphical enhancments.

I guess the point of ds emulators are for those who lack money to buy a ds XD

4. Zeermius

Zeermius Member

hehe, I thought so, just figured it'd be best to ask the more experienced users ^^

Another questions though, not sure if you can answer it, when I'm playing Pokémon Diamong using the R4, I've noticed quite a fair amount of lag while playing. From what I've heard (google results) this sounds like it's caused by either a bad ROM or a slow MicroSD card. I've tried several ROM's including the ones from here, and it's still quite laggy. Would it be safe to assume that I just have a slow microSD card or should I expect lag whilst playing using this method?

Thanks for your help on the previous question by the way.

5. daedalus02

daedalus02 Member

Sounds to me like you have a slow microSD.

http://filetrip.net/f1238-Speed-Tester-for-LibFat-w-DLDI-Support.html

Download this and put the files on your microSD and run it with your R4.
    Post the results here and we'll try and figure out what's going on.

6. Zeermius

Zeermius Member

Awwh, thanks ^^

I'd really appreciate that :)

Do you have any personal recommendations for a fast MicroSD? I've heard good things about Kingston, but I'd like to know from others before I dash out and buy something.

7. daedalus02

daedalus02 Member

Well not just any Kingston...the Kingstons made in Japan are supposedly the fastest as of the last time I checked. I'm trying to find a list of several cards and how they rank up against each other that might be helpful for you.

What brand microSD are you currently using? Do you happen to know what class it is?

8. Zeermius

Zeermius Member

I don't understand this. Am I supposed to extract them to root or to the games folder?

All it says is "Error" with no indication as to what the error is, or even an error code..
    I don't know what you mean by "class", but it's a Sandisk 4GB. I think there's some form of number on it but it's almost impossible to read because it's tiny and in a simular color the the card itself T_T
    Post Merge: [time]1266594685[/time]
    Nevermind, I have it working. Does it save a logfile anywhere though? The font on screen is near impossible to read..

9. daedalus02

daedalus02 Member

Unfortunately it does not generate a log file.

I did some digging around and apparently the most important thing to look for is the "Random (512B)" test. The average value should be less than 700.us. Anything higher than this value will result in game lag/possible freezes.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, it seems we've all been misled for years. Kingston do not make microSD cards, they rebrand B grade castoffs from Sandisk.

11. Zeermius

Zeermius Member

All tests: average times

Sequential (512 B)
    max: 480 ms;
    avg: 237ms;
    Sequential(4KiB)
    max: 1794ms;
    avg: 1743 ms;
    Sequential (16KiB)
    max: 7669 ms;
    avg: 7545 ms;
    Random (512 B)
    Max: 1019ms;
    avg: 989 ms;
    Random (4KiB)
    max: 2359 ms;
    avg: 2313 ms;
    Random (16KiB)
    max: 8123;
    avg: 8098;

.... ^^'

12. daedalus02

daedalus02 Member

There's your problem =\ The average result for this test should be no higher than 700. Most games should work, but you'll experience lagging/freezes in some. I'll try and find an article for you to read concerning which microSD's work best.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if this is the case why are most Sandisk cards rated worse than the Kingstons made in Japan?

13. Zeermius

Zeermius Member

What does that test actually show? How long it takes to load something?

At first I thought it was latency between the Console to the R4 to the MicroSD, but then I realised that almost a second lag between electronic internals would be stupid -_-

I could ping to Australia and back for less than that :[

14. mars427

mars427 Well-Known Member

NO WIFI ON EMULATORS only crappy kaittera on the best emulators

it can be an advantage checking the game before you delete other games for space on your memory stick and you can play at 3 times the speed on good computers it can have a few uses like testing homebrew that could kill your r4 the best thing is unlimited battery on computers and you can play a ds with an xbox360 controller

15. Zeermius

Zeermius Member

Yeah, the only thing that concerns me is the speed of my MicroSD card ^^

16. daedalus02

daedalus02 Member

It tests read/write speeds of the actual microSD card.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396
    Found a link to a cheap 2gb Kingston microSD from Japan. These in particular are known for having very low read/write times (which is what you want). You may, however, want to do some research on your own before purchasing.

17. Zeermius

Zeermius Member

Thanks, I'll look at ordering it tonight :]

18. daedalus02

daedalus02 Member

No prob. Glad to be able to help.