1. This forum is in read-only mode.

R4i-SDHC 3DS card not working - "An error has occured."

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by PurbleRabble, May 30, 2014.

1. PurbleRabble

PurbleRabble Member

Hey everyone,

I just updated my DS to 7.2.0-17 as I read that the R4i-SDHC 3DS works with this version. I have my R4 card updated to the latest version (V1.79b), yet I am still receiving this message when trying to boot up my R4:
    "An error has occurred. Press and hold the POWER button to turn the system off. Please refer to the operations manual for details."

I have used my R4 before without any problems so I'm pretty sure it's not a clone card or anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! ^.^

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the r4 needs to have an update file run on it BEFORE you update the console, otherwise it gets blocked.

3. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Unfortunately it's already blocked. He updated the 3DS to v.7.2 thinking his R4 will work out of the box without pre-updating it ahead of his 3DS. He'll have to find an older NDS/DSi console that still could be use to run his R4 to perform the upgrading before getting to play on his 3DS again. If none is at his disposal, then .......

4. PurbleRabble

PurbleRabble Member

Actually, I did update the card before updating the console. It still didn't work so that's when I decided to update the console...

5. Loonylion

did you run an update .nds file or just copy the kernel files to the microsd?

6. PurbleRabble

PurbleRabble Member

No, I just copied the files over. I didn't know I had to update anything.

7. Prectorian

Doing so didn't update the R4's firmware. You should have launch it through your 3DS.
    It's like what you're suppose to do when you first bought the cartridge.
    Find an older console NDS/DSi/3DS running your previous version. Run the installation setup for the upgrade file already in the SD Card.
    You'll then get to use the R4 on your own 3DS again. On condition there really is an upgrade for your R4 to run on v.7.2.
    Else it'll still be blocked until an update is made available.

8. PurbleRabble

PurbleRabble Member

Ah I see! I will have access to a DS Lite in a day or two so I shall let you know then. Thanks for your help! :3

9. Loonylion

its a bit confusing (I blame poor choice of terminology in the early days of flashcarts), but there are actually TWO different so-called 'firmwares' on a flashcart. One is stored on the microsd and is updated simply by overwriting files with newer ones. This isn't really a firmware, it's more properly called a kernel, and it's what is responsible for the cart's compatibility with roms.

The other, actual, firmware is internal to the cart, and is updated by running a program (a special .nds file for example). This firmware is what controls the compatibility with consoles and bypasses the blocks imposed by the console firmware updates.

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Re: R4i-SDHC 3DS card not working - "An error has occured."

I'll add this to my Flashcard guide.

11. PurbleRabble

PurbleRabble Member

Ah I see! Thanks for clearing that up. So what's the .nds file I should run when I get my hands on another NDS console?

12. Prectorian

Yes. Make sure you've added the correct file meant for your R4, since 1 brand could release several product line. Do back up the originals before hand, and make sure the console battery been fully charged. You won't want it flat before the upgrading complete.

13. PurbleRabble

PurbleRabble Member

I've managed to get it running on a DS Lite and it's working fine, however I'm unsure what the file is that I'm supposed to run in order to update it properly so it works in my 3DS. Could someone clear this up for me?

14. Loonylion

it needs to be downloaded from the manufacturer's site for your exact R4 cart. Using the wrong one will brick the cart.

15. PurbleRabble

PurbleRabble Member

I'm 100% sure I downloaded the right update from r4i-sdhc.com and the card has been tested and works with the new Nintendo 3DS update so I'm confused where I'm going wrong.

16. Prectorian

Just because it had been tested and running on NDS Lite doesn't mean it will run on 3DS v.7.2.0!
    NDS Lite don't block the use of flash cartridges, so naturally it will run just fine, despite that same cart is blocked by the 3DS.
    When we told you to use an older NDS console, it is to do the upgrading. We know it will work on the NDS Lite, so what you did;
    test run on NDS Lite isn't the point of running the cartridge there. We want you to use it to perform the upgrading process which
    you didn't do when it was still working on that now upgraded 3DS you can't use.

Follow the installation/upgrade instructions provided by that website. And make sure to back up the original files to your computer!

According to the website;
    You have to choose the "GEAR" icon, and then choose "UPGRADE", and then press "START".
    Allow process to compete, which takes at least 5 minutes or longer. Don't switch off console part way.
    Make sure when you restart the R4 cartridge on the NDS Lite, the left bottom side shows "v.1.79b".

The problem here is that v.1.79b is said to make the cart compatible/work with 3DS v.7.1.0. I'm not even sure it will run on 3DS v.7.2.0. If it doesn't, you're out of luck.

17. PurbleRabble

PurbleRabble Member

I meant it has been tested on a 3DS to work. Obviously it would work on an NDS Lite :p
    I appreciate, however, that this may be for the 3DS DTS R4 and not mine. But should I install an earlier firmware to then perform the upgrade through the NDS Lite? I've had an R4 for years now and have always updated it in the same way with no problems so I'm certain it's not a fault on my part whilst updating it via a computer. The instructions have always been the same on the R4 website.

18. Prectorian

I'm not entirely sure if your cart is one that has firmware upgrade for it to run on v.7.2.0 or not. What mentioned there is it can run on v.7.1.0. All I know is v.7.2.0 doesn't block the use of flash cartridge that had been pre-installed with firmware for it to run on v.7.1.0. Whether its a fault on your part or not, doesn't quite matter. The fact is the 3DS been upgraded to v.7.2.0, while the R4 hasn't been upgraded or at least checked if it will have no problem running on it. Clearly it couldn't work, so you'll need to find solution.