1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Recycling Paper - Why?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by gaynorvader, Dec 6, 2010.

1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

Gliese 581 in Libra?

2. redoperator

redoperator Well-Known Member

theres a difference between finding something and FINDING something.

3. Oteupaiecona

Oteupaiecona Well-Known Member

That's the problem with Wikipedia.
    It just claims there is "some criticism", yet it doesn't state who criticizes what, and offers no references to said criticism.
    But i would definitely like to see any sources that back up those criticisms.:)

4. redoperator

redoperator Well-Known Member

I have to agree with that, I stay away from using Wikipedia as a legit source like a plague. one can easily get in there and say "there is harsh criticism" even though there is not.

but, maybe this is the "criticism"? http://www.bcheights.com/news/group-offers-criticism-of-recycling-practices-1.1783686

5. Oteupaiecona

Usually Wiki backs it's claims with sources.
    But if they make a claim and don't offer any source, then it might of been anyone who just wrote that, and there is no way of verifying it's validity.
    Thanks for the link though.
    I have to get some sleep right now, but i'll definitely read it tomorrow.

EDIT:
    Ok, so i couldn't resist and read the source you provided.(I have to get up at 5 am)
    But that article seems to be only about single stream recycling, versus separating your trash into various categories (paper, plastic, etc)
    I'm a little confused ???

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

One source of criticism, granted it is biased, but it's mostly for the sake of entertainment.

7. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

I had a response all written, with sources and everything then I lost it in an IE crash :(
    I'll try and find the sites again, but will point out to Mark_80 that the sources listed on that Wikipedia page either have no information on them or are over 10 years old.

Some trees do live that long, and longer, but most trees used in paper production reach maturity much, much quicker than that.

8. Oteupaiecona

Thank you.
    I love Penn and Teller.
    But i really hate libertarian philosophy.
    Many people take Penn and Teller's word as fact.(I can see you don't)
    But many times they are also blinded by their libertarian beliefs, and reject things that contradicts those beliefs.
    This episode is one of these cases, IMO.
    First let's start with the two idiots they found to show how religious people are about recycling.
    I wonder how many people they had to try until they found two that were too ashamed to admit on camera that they probably wouldn't go through such a hassle.
    I mean, would you?
    I know i probably wouldn't.Or at least be pretty pissed that i had to do it.
    Sensationalism at it's best.
    They attack an ad from the 70's to add a pinch of racism to Keep America Beautifull.
    Then lets look at the guy they use as an authority figure, Daniel K. Benjamin.
    Senior Fellow at the PERC institute.
    According to PERC:
    The all mighty free market will save us all...
    Typical libertarian idealism.
    He is basically the only source here.
    The entire episode is basically a tv adaptation for his paper, Eight Great Myths about Recycling.
    A good rebuttal , IMO, to the whole video can be found here:Recycling Is Not Garbage
    If there is any specific claim you would like to discuss, please let me know.
    Man, wikipedia really let me down this time.
    I think this source pretty much covers everything.
    So, let me know if there is anything in it you disagree with.

9. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

People recycle paper because they like doing science experiments. Judging by the way you actually recycle paper (see the Beakman's World episode) it's pretty much a science experiment.

10. Zydaline

Zydaline Well-Known Member

LOLOGIC!

11. treec_cynda

treec_cynda Guest

Thank you.

12. RandomRedMage

RandomRedMage Well-Known Member

Recycled paper is a lot more nature friendly. Think of it this way. Your fucking squirrel you have your tree, you live there, your family has lived there for generations, you STORE YOUR WINTER NUTS IN THAT TREE. Tha tree is your LIVELYHOOD. then some jackass comes and chops that shit shown and all the trees for a 100 acres around it.

What do you do now little squirrel. >.>

Long story short recycled paper means we don't have to fuck up the environment for other animals. Dont think just because we can walk on our hind legs and communicate over vast distances, and use tools, that we are any less a bunch of stinking over populated animals.

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I recycle paper because then you don't have as much trash at the end of the month. Plus, why not. It saves my school money and gives them money as well.

14. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

recycled paper doesn't look that nice...

15. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

It can make pencils.

16. RandomRedMage

RandomRedMage Well-Known Member

"Doesn't look that nice" Are you telling me your entire stance on this subject is aesthetics? WHO THE FECK CARES. Make a goddamn cardboard box out of it! You don't need a pretty white sheet of paper to make a cardboard box.

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

theres actually evidence that recycling can be bad for health now. Apparently when newspapers are recycled, mineral oils from the inks remain in the pulp, which is subsequently made into cardboard. if that cardboard is used for food packaging, the mineral oils can actually leech out of the cardboard into the food (even through the waxed paper bags used in cereal packets) and contaminate it with toxic substances.

18. Oteupaiecona

This is very plausible, and it makes sense.
    However, a quick search yielded no good results.
    Do you have any sources for this?

19. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

If its then made into bog-roll,you could end up with gum disease.Maybe every Government could pay and install Bidets into everyones house....

20. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Nah they tickle, I don't want one