1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"Sonic CD" is now free (with ads)!

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by NintyRaccoon, Oct 30, 2016.

?

Is "Sonic CD" your favourite Sonic-game?

1. Definitely! "Sonic CD" is da best evah!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have many favourites, but "Sonic CD" is one of my top 5 Sonic-games!

75.0%
  3. I haven't played a single Sonic-game in the past, so now it's time for me to try one.

25.0%
  4. No, there are better Sonic-games out there.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, I don't like "Sonic the Hedgehog" at all. So this game doesn't interest me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sorry, but what is "Sonic CD" you're talking about? And why is that hedgehog blue???

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

Hey guys, I discovered in AppStore that Sonic CD for iOS devices is now free, but it's ad-supported. The ads can be removed by paying $1.99. Sadly, even the players who had paid for the game in the past will have to see ads as well.

But Aaron Webber, a PR representative with Sega specializing in Sonic the Hedgehog, said that paid users shouldn't be getting ads, so the Mobile Team is looking into the problem.

More information can be found in the following article: http://toucharcade.com/2016/10/27/sonic-cd-is-now-free-with-ads/

jr42094 and Dark Infernape like this.
  2. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

Why the hell would you bother when you could just simply use an emulator?
    No ads, No "Wait to play" system, No in-app purchases, free full version.
    I really hate smartphone gaming.

3. GeminiTheHedgehog

GeminiTheHedgehog New Member

Sonic CD (2011) is different than the original Sonic CD, because it's actually a remake, with extra features and bugfixes, and better collision detection.

4. NintyRaccoon

Yes, the Sonic CD iso is a "free" full version. But is the iso legal?

This reminds me of one user on Steam who thought it was absurd that Sega would sell their Genesis-games (SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics) when Mega Drive/Genesis-roms exist on the net free of charge, as in "breathing air for free" (according to the user).

Well, the problem is because roms on emulation sites are illegal in the eyes of the copyright holders. As simple as that.

I don't mind supporting the copyright holders this way as long as I can play the game for free, legally. Because in the end, the copyright holders need to earn money in some way. And how can they do that when people jailbreak their iPhones and install hacked versions of the games?

By adding forced advertisements the copyright holder can at least secure some income. SEGA did include the option to remove the ads forever.

All of the games? Have you even given them a fair chance? So you don't like Pokémon Go as well?

I agree that platformers (Prince of Persia Classic, Prince of Persia: The Shadow and The Flame etc.) don't work on touch screens. But at the same time I'm not talking about too simple games such as Candy Crush and Clash of Clans either. I don't care about them at all.

Maybe I set the bar very low, but I enjoy smartphone games based on their console/computer counterparts such as Final Fantasy Dimensions (original iOS/Android game) and Resident Evil 4 (iOS-port).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Off topicness here but related to smartphone gaming:

The only Smartphone game I am even putting up with is Bejeweled classic because IMHO the game surely fits in with the whole touchscreen mechanic. And it came first before stupid Candy Crush and is not hindered by any paywall :p

Aside from Candy Crush, I also Abhor Clash of Clans because every nitwit on my country is too hung up on it.

RFE Addendum:

OK found another mobile game I do like:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.astapova.hh&hl=en

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. NintyRaccoon

I think it's relevant even if it isn't about "Sonic CD".

I love "Tetris" (the official game released by EA) for the touch screen devices. The first Game Boy game I played was Tetris, so this is a great example of a mobile game based on its original console/handheld-counterpart.

Have you tried "Star Wars: Commander" and "Call of Duty Heroes", Cahos? I think they're pretty good.

XD LOL

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I tried Tetris for Smartphones but the touch controls felt awkward to me, probably because I'm more used to moving the blocks with a D-Pad and an "A" button LOL

Any online Freemium Smartphone game doesn't appeal to me really.

Now XCOM EW for mobile though is something I'd definitely love, except my Smartphone isn't "Smart" enough to handle it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tt2kgames.xcomew&hl=en

I also quite enjoyed "Anomaly Warzone Earth":

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elevenbitstudios.AnomalyWarzoneEarthHD&hl=en

8. NintyRaccoon

Too used to the old controls, eh? ;)

I don't mind the change.

Understandable. But not all of them are bad. And as long as a game keeps me occupied for a longer time (in this case freemium games because of those freemium limitations), I only gain more appreciation for it if it's properly executed. Similar to when we all had to replay old NES games because it was too expensive to buy new ones back then.

The Walking Dead: No Man's Land (freemium smartphone game) has aspects of XCOM. Looks decent.

9. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

On topic, Touch screen buttons/ Virtual gamepads. Like what use is the touchscreen then? Why not make it Wii U gamepad style like the Sony Xperia Play,(there's a touchscreen and buttons). Instead of putting the buttons IN the touchscreen?
    You can attach a USB gamepad using a microUSB converter. But most games Don't support that.

10. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

W...

T...

F...

No seriously, WTF is this exactly???

And where do all these indie game developers keep coming from with all these idiotic games?

And why isn't Google Play Store quality control doing anything about this?

And is there even quality control on Google play store?

The exact same issue is also present on XBLA.

EDIT: I found a game on Play Store called "Mega Rock Powered up" which is basically a Mega Man Powered up ROM used with PPSSPP.
    Seriously, ripping off TWO companies and making profit out of it? And the best part: Google doesn't care.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

[​IMG]

Also to enlighten you...

12. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

I do not understand.
    I would request explanation using text rather than memes.
    Also, I can't view the media content you posted due to an error on my phone.
    (Am i not possessing knowledge of something important here? If so, I'd like to be informed so.)
    (If it's something about that "south park" show, then i would like to state that I hate it as well as did not watch it.)

EDIT: I watched the video. I get it now.

But Why?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  13. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

Anyway, With complete disregard to the south park related BS (somebody get a moderator here to clean up.), Back on topic.
    (Requesting a reply(s) to my posts about quality control and virtual gamepads.)