1. This forum is in read-only mode.

SSL Certificate Error (Need Help)

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Prectorian, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

This is a weird issue since before this happened, I was still able to access the internet site services stated below, but for the past 3 days they're blocked, can't sign in via internet explorer and Google Chrome. Here are the info;

Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo Mail;
    1. SSL Certificate Error (expired, untrusted publisher)
    2. YM! reported 'There might be a problem with yoor internet connection. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet.....'
    3. https://login.yahoo.com was registed as 'untrusted publisher' under the Internet Options'

Google Mail and Youtube;
    1. SSL Certificate Error (expired, untrusted publisher)
    2. https://mail.google.com was registed as 'untrusted publisher' under the Internet Options

I'd done pretty much various troubleshooters provided by the internet;
    1. clean registry using registry cleaner program
    2. clear history cache (cookies, browsing history, temporary file, etc.)
    3. clear SSL State
    4. restart computer several times
    5. tried import-export SSL certificate
    6. tried resetting the browser to default
    7. change browsing security setting from medium to low
    8. tried unticking the 'check for publisher's certificate revocation' and 'check for server's certificate revocation'
    9. checked for virus, malware, adware, etc.
    10. tried adding 'login.yahoo.com' and 'mail.google.com' into the trusted site list
    11. tried ignoring the warning about visiting untrusted site
    12. tried 'Microsoft Management Control' to check on the certificate root
    13. uninstall-reinstall YM! several times
    14. tried re-syncronizing the PC clock with the internet
    15. checked router and modem clock settings to see if there is any difference even to a second
    16. checked firewall and antivirus for blockage
    17. tried switch off, wait few seconds - switch back on both router and modem

Strangely, I can send-receive my emails from gmail.com just fine using Windows Live Mail client via POP3 service.
    But I can't sign in via web browser.

And I can't choose to remove both login.yahoo.com and mail.google.com from the untrusted publisher under Internet Options
    even though there is an option to Remove, but can't be clicked.

I'm also suffering same issue when I tried to login using my secondary computer, and via my Android Phone. I'm beginning to wonder if everyone else are facing same issue, or just me.

Strangest of all is that yahoo's SSL certificate shown it's expiry date as end of 2013, while Google's as end of 2014. Thus how could both be considered expired?

Anyone having same issue with me? Any suggestions on top of what I've tried doing for past 3 days?
    I'm especially hoping to manually remove those 2 sites's name form the untrusted publisher list, so far I can't remove it. Or maybe a
    way to re-new the SSL registry. So far I can't figure how to do that since there's no option to do so. Any techincal suggestion to resolve this issue if it's just an issue on my end?

2. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Maybe try a diffrent windows version, vista/7s are new 8 .

If you have a spare hard drive maybe worth a go.

Clean install.

3. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Hmm. I received this problem on a laptop once. Well, dad did.
    We just waited and it fixed itself. Well, it did for a while. Came back. And yeah, don't bother with another browser. It won't work either.

Had a laugh when I saw prectorian as the thread owner. prectorian asking for help, that's a first :D

4. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

We all get it now and then ;D

Some things we are better at then others, Then they might be better at that other then you ;)

5. Prectorian

No. Not feasible, both my laptops are Win7. I do have 3 external harddrives.
    I'm beginning to suspect the possibility of my server screwing up SSL recognition or something within that line.

Well, unfortunately this one didn't go away on its own. It's now officially 4 days in a row. I'm still biting my nails wondering what troubleshooter might I've missed. I've followed several suggested on yahoo forums and google forums. None worked.

Oh...I do inquire here, but only when I'm forced to. Since I try to solve them before I had no choice and ask for public help. And most of my plea don't get responded which is the other reason for the few questions, which makes me try to avoid as much from asking unless I'm really stuck.

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

We had to wait about a week.
    We found it to be a problem with the router settings. We changed something to do with the firewall and it started working. But I don't recommend that. Call on Loony. He'll know what to do.

7. Prectorian

I've checked both my router and modem settings, the location, date and time, all matches with the PC. I've finally able to remove the 'untrusted publisher' SSL certificate manually from outside Internet Options, using another method. Still the browser won't let me through.
    I'm now weighing the possibility of re-installing IE. But to do that, I've to first copy my bookmarked links.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

SSL errors are usually server side and there's nothing you can do about them.

9. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Call the ISP and tell them to stop playing Solitare and fix this error?

10. Prectorian

As in Yahoo and Google's side or as in my internet provider's?

If it's Yahoo and Google's then I'm at lost, since I can't get in touch with any of those 2.
    Last time I sent e-mail to Yahoo's webmaster, they claimed that messenger and mail issue are outside their technical support....weird since what I inquired was issues with their product. Yet they said they are not affiliated.
    As for Google, there's only their troubleshooter forum, and no way to contact them personally.
    The more reason why I love Microsoft support center, easy to get in touch with, they respond almost immediately and kept in touch to make sure I've resolved the issue I reported for assistance. Yahoo and Google on the other hand, shows tendency to shy away from giving personal support, by limiting support to their public online support only.

11. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

iirc there was a global issue with some web pages due to an old imagehosting site got took down and some black hats took the name and started spreading malware via said site, so they are cleaning up their list that links or has websites linking to said website.

12. Prectorian

Are you sure? I haven't heard about that though.
    But really, I still can't get into those sites and services.
    Well, at least I still can send-receive my emails using POP3 service via Live Mail client (except Yahoo Mail).
    It's the most important issue for me....my e-mails. :p

13. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

Neoseeker was showing up as a malware site on all browsers, Redemption (the Admin/founder) over there informed the members about that.

14. Prectorian

Oh?! So several sites that we normally can go to are showing this error since New Year.
    It's officially 5 days in a row now for my issue. Still can't get through. Weird...bizarre...
    I'm now in communication with a Microsoft staff, they are real quick to respond.
    Unlike the other 2 (Yahoo and Google). Hopefully the problem could be pinpoint soon.
    So far can't find any fault in the system yet.

Post Merge: [time]1357366194[/time]

So...... after going over and over with the troubleshooter I know, I finally fixed this issue by myself....thank God....finally....
    Turn out it's not even server related, had something to do with the SSL couldn't update itself from 2012 to 2013 due to unknown
    reason. Took me some time ...* like 5 days *... to find the solution on my own.

So....mods/admin, if you wish to lock this, you may do so. Thanks.