1. This forum is in read-only mode.

the default georgia font is quite dificult to read

Discussion in 'Site Support' started by Neon32, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

i dont know if you guys feel the same way but look at this :

Georgia font :
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The inventor of the world wide web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, has unveiled a plan to tackle data abuse and fake news.In an open letter to mark the web's 28th anniversary, Sir Tim has set out a five-year strategy amid concerns he has about how the web is being used.
    Sir Tim said he wants to start to combat the misuse of personal data, which creates a "chilling effect on free speech".He also called for tighter regulation of "unethical" political adverts.
    The British computer scientist said he wants the people who have helped develop the web with blogs, tweets, photos, videos and web pages to help come up with practical solutions to make a web "that gives equal power and opportunity to all".
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now in Arial font :
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The inventor of the world wide web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, has unveiled a plan to tackle data abuse and fake news.In an open letter to mark the web's 28th anniversary, Sir Tim has set out a five-year strategy amid concerns he has about how the web is being used.
    Sir Tim said he wants to start to combat the misuse of personal data, which creates a "chilling effect on free speech".He also called for tighter regulation of "unethical" political adverts.
    The British computer scientist said he wants the people who have helped develop the web with blogs, tweets, photos, videos and web pages to help come up with practical solutions to make a web "that gives equal power and opportunity to all".

also :
    in Ariel :

i find it hard go through such long posts and that too in georgia font.
    no offence @NintyRaccoon
    i know that you can change the font before posting but i just wanted to know your opinion.
    so what do you guy think ? should the default font be changed ?

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

All of them are a pain to my eyes. :p

3. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

Hey, I'm only honored that you quoted me @Neon32 because my long texts can almost be compared to newspaper texts.

I think the Georgia font is bearable to read. Arial is more for titles - reading long texts in Arial is painful for me to read.

4. aurA_

aurA_ Member

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
    The default, whilst bearable to read as NintyRaccoon noted, isn't the most pleasurable thing to read. The font I use, Tahoma, is reasonably light and I find that it works for both titles and a large body of text.

Neon32 likes this.
  5. NintyRaccoon

Maybe it's because I'm too used to the Georgia font (it must be something with the style), but it's the only font I "like". Perhaps I can use Book Antiqua instead. Times New Roman is too serious.

But not fonts like Courier New, Tahoma (must be in size 4 if I have to use it), Trebuchet or Verdana.

6. aurA_

aurA_ Member

Well, Times New Roman is considered an 'Academic Font'. Most papers at university - and indeed, papers generally - are written with Times New Roman.

7. NintyRaccoon

XD Yeah, I meant that Times New Roman is too academic/serious to be on a rom website like this one, while Georgia is more casual I guess? Georgia at least makes me feel like reading a daily newspaper. And I love daily newspapers. :)

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

there's another big distinction between the two fonts mentioned in the original post: Georgia is a serif font, Arial is sans-serif. Maybe that's the real issue.

9. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

After going through the above posts it seems that there are mixed reactions about this issue and i guess falls under personal choice.
    even if the default doesnt gets changed , i hope the users will format their posts for better readability.

10. NintyRaccoon

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. I personally don't think that all of the users should have to format their posts just because Georgia isn't "readable" for some users. That's like telling universities or newspapers to stop using Times New Roman. While there are debates whether to use sans-serif or serif fonts for greater readability - I can provide several links where the authors favor the serif fonts if you like - I don't think we should go deeper into that.

Like you said, the preference of sans-serif and serif fonts falls under personal choice, so for me I think Georgia - a serif font - is the best font for me. I personally feel that I read texts faster with Georgia than with Arial, and the font is "less" painful for my eyes compared with sans-serif fonts. And since I mostly log on to RomUlation through a computer with a big screen, and not through smartphones with considerably smaller screens, I don't see this as a problem at all.

So the only solution for me is to stop writing altogether from now on. I enjoyed my 2 years on RomU and I already do my best to follow RomU's ToS. But if I have to adjust my way of writing (in other words, keep my posts shorter) and think of formatting my posts in order to make them "easier to read" everytime, then you're demanding too much of me.

Sorry for causing so much trouble. This post will be my final "contribution" to the forum, and I'll take a more passive role from now on. It's for the best.

11. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Changed the default to Open Sans, this font is much more readable.

Neon32 likes this.
  12. aurA_

aurA_ Member

Looks good Seph.
    The text editor is still in Georgia though.

13. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

FUCK IT

CHANGE IT TO COMIC SANS

14. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

All fonts gives me this vision:

[​IMG]

15. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Better?

16. Neon32