1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Tiger or Cannibalism?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by maxmahito, Dec 4, 2012.

1. maxmahito

maxmahito Well-Known Member

This is a call to all of you people who have seen/read Life of Pi movie/book.
    I'll be as brief as possible to avoid spoilers for people who didn't see/read that yet.

SPOILER FREE, ALL RIGHT~!!

So, which story, do you believe to be the TRUE VERSION? Please don't tell me which story you prefer, but tell me which story you believe to have occured.The one with Tiger or the one where you, know, cannibalism is invovled?

I have scratched my head for a few hours and decided that the one with cannibalism is the true version, where as, the one with Tiger is just his religious philosophy running wild due to lonely feelings. I came to that decision, because, the author himself read many accounts and stories of shipwrecks, where surviving crew indulged him cannibalism to survive and so, the author inclined his story with a cannibalistic theme as well.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the tiger was the true version. The cannibalism story was made up by the character when the authorities wouldn't believe what actually happened (as told in the book) and was basically just anthropomorphising the animals he shared the boat with. It's really not that ambiguous in the book at all.

3. maxmahito

so the book's narration differs from movie's screenplay? I didn't guess it would differ that much.

4. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

so life pi is really true incident ? i thought it was just a movie ........

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

book to movie conversions rarely stick to the original story.

No, its fiction.

6. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is. That's the whole point of the alternate view - to challenge the reader's suspension of disbelief.

7. maxmahito

Hmm, thanks for stating the philosophy behind the alternate story.