1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Using a gamepad on a PSP emulator?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by houselyrander, Jan 27, 2017.

1. houselyrander

houselyrander Member

Salvate my fellow gamers! I'm looking to play Birth By Sleep but I really wanna use my 360 gamepad because it really was meant for a gamepad. Are there any PSP emulators that support gamepads? Alternatively, are there any good (and free) programs that would let me program my gamepad? I'm currently looking at PPSSPP, but I know nothing about it

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

PPSSPP does support gamepads, that is to say the PC version does. As for the Smartphone (iOS or ASndroid) version, I'm not 100% certain.

3. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I'm using PPSSPP on Win10 PC with a Logitec gamepad. Works fine for me without needing to setup the controls mapping. Don't know about 360 gamepads, don't even own an Xbox. :p

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Win 10 natively supports the 360 controller as a Plug n' Play device :)

5. houselyrander

houselyrander Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I've done the Analog Test with the PPSSPP and my 360 controller seems to work fine so far. On a related note, does anyone know of any good PS2 emulators with similar controller support?

6. Prectorian

Ah! Didn't know that since I've never play Xbox.

Am using PCSX2.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Nor I.

The only reason I even found out about this was because of my Logitech F310 gamepad. When I bought it three years ago, I was still on Win 7 and I was absolutely confounded by the "X~D" input switch it had on the back as it was not mentioned in the provided manual. Digging around the net, I found out that X input referred to XBox 360 input and D input was Direct (or native "Generic" gamepad) input. However, Win 7 (along with other previous iterations of the OS needed to have the 360 controller downloaded and installed BEFORE you can use X input on the damn controller as its provided install disc didn't have it bundled with the thing's drivers.

To cut a long story short, after the update from Win 7 to 10 I found out Win 10 already supports the 360 driver because of the OS's cross platform usability with the XBox 360 and that I didn't need to reinstall the drivers.

8. houselyrander

houselyrander Member

Sorry about the delay, but I can conform that the PPSSPP works great. I just got the PCSX2 but I'm having trouble with the BIOs. The only guide I found requires a cd burner but I don't even have a cd drive on my computer let alone a burner.

9. Prectorian

You mean you've installed PCSX2 but is missing the PS2 Bios? If so, just google search it, extract, and place it in its appropriate folder, then you choose 1 from your emulator setup.

10. houselyrander

houselyrander Member

Hm, had to repeat the search a few times but I found them. Everything seems to work fine for now (I'm testing it with Grim Grimoire). Still need to test it with Kingdom Hearts 2 and Rogue Galaxy though. And figure out which one to get since there's a "U" and an "UNDUB" version on this site.

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

U is north american region, UNDUB means the voice acting has been replaced with the (usually japanese) originals, i.e the localised voice acting has been undone.

12. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

BTW ppsspp android version does support gamepads i tried it with Logitech and Xbox 360 controller.

13. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

https://forum.romulation.net/threads/pcsx2-quick-configuration-guide-for-newbies.62466/

Ik its a little old but you might learn something useful, not that much has changed in the user interface since except for a few new options in the Gsdx menu etc

14. houselyrander

houselyrander Member

Oh, I must have missed the notifications.
    Thanks for the info guys!

15. desktop

desktop New Member

Ok I know this thread is old, but according to the thread rules I should post in a topic that's already open. Since I'm new here I'm going to follow the rules....anyway, my question.

I just installed PPSSPP on my PC (64bt Windows 7 Home Premium) and I was thinking of getting the following controller and receiver for the PC:

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
    Xbox 360 Microsoft Authentic Wireless Pc Gaming Receiver for Windows

Before I purchase these I just wanted to ask if this is a good choice for gaming on the PC? I've looked at some videos and it appears it will work, but I was just wondering if anyone here is using the wireless 360 and could give any feedback.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  16. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

I own and use both my 360 and One S controller for all my PC games and Emulators. Use controllers while I use PPSSPP as well. They are supported and run perfectly fine.

And I recommend you get the Xbox One Wireless controller instead of getting a 360. You can use Xbox One controllers both Wired and Wireless, ie you get to connect it to your PC with a regular USB cable if you want to, or put in some batteries, connect it to your computer with bluetooth. Some tablets and smartphones support the controller, it having bluetooth means you get to connect it to those devices. Heres an image, Usb Port right next to the Bluetooth button.

[​IMG]

17. desktop

desktop New Member

Thanks for the reply. So what is the difference between using the One as opposed to the 360?

18. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

19. desktop

desktop New Member

Thanks for the link. So if I go with a wireless Xbox One controller would I still need the Wireless Pc Gaming Receiver? Or should I go with the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows?

20. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

For using it Wireless, the requirement is that your computer should have Bluetooth. All laptops have Bluetooth now, and recent desktops have been getting Bluetooth. Xbox One controller uses Bluetooth to connect wirelessly to all devices.

If your computer doesn't have Bluetooth, and if you want to use the controller wireless, you ll have to get a external Bluetooth connection thingy for your computer I guess. I'm not sure what type of adapter you ll have to get. But I think you should find that answer googling, or someone else here who uses an adapter to connect should be able to help you. :)