1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What if you can make your own RPG?

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by Eadelas25, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Eadelas25

Eadelas25 Well-Known Member

RPG's today just aren't cutting it for me. Final fantasy 13? WTF happened with Square to make that stinking pile of ofal? Sadly, nowadays the best RPG's are really old titles like Neverwinter Nights, The Temple of Elemental Evil and other old school RPG's.

Sorry for the rant, just had to say it. ;D

So, if you were given the chance to make an RPG, what would it be like?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

13 is better than 12 and 10-2

3. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

Eh you can actually, you need a program called RPG maker i recomend the 2003 version or the VX one, XP isnt worth it since youa re reduced to make Dragon Quest rip offs

4. Eadelas25

Eadelas25 Well-Known Member

I've actually tried RPG maker on my PS2. It was NOT fun. I had to scour the country for a PS2 keyboard since it was impossible to create dialogue w/o one, and in the end all I had to show for it was a game that looked like the characters were made of playdough.

5. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Get it on PC.

When I used to make little concept demos, I made some interesting and complex systems, like a World Map Morning/Day/Evening/Night timer with certain shops or events only active during one of those conditions.

I also made a banking system that turned out a percent of interest every in-game cycle. It ended up with having way too much money after a few in-game days, especially as money drops increased later in the game. I had a few "valuable" items that would be traded based on a market price that would periodically change every few days, and certain merchants would pay more or less for the same item on the same day. If only there were a function that would increase or decrease entire shop inventory prices by a set percentage.

I also managed to program "Limit Breaks" for each of my characters, but it was a super pain in the ass since I had to have those scripts on every single Monster Group.

I also got way too carried away with the random function, and many chests gave you a random amount of money, or they took away a random amount of money (if it didn't subtract from your pocket, I had it subtract money from your bank account lol, and if you had nothing in your bank account, it was a negative number), or gave you a random item, influenced by its rarity.

Yeah, it had absolutely no story, no plot, but it was fun just to dick around in a few towns, solve a few switch on/off puzzles, and push block puzzles, and play the market that I set up.

I don't miss the convoluted loops, and conditional functions, that were inside more loops and more conditional functions to the point that I had no idea what I was working on.

6. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

As insane said, try it on PC.

If you still having doubts try Alter AILA genesis or Balmung cycle, both are very good JRPG' made with RPG maker 2k3