1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What should I get during the holidays? 3ds Or PS Vita

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by tarotmaniac, Dec 9, 2012.

1. tarotmaniac

tarotmaniac Well-Known Member

Several shops are on sale and i have been itching to buy a new protable console since I find myself constantly having to be on the go. I'm just not sure which to get. I've heard pros and cons for both but I would like to get more opinions from fellow gamers. At first I was sure to get 3ds because of my affinity to nintendo handhelds, but my issue is graphics and gameplay. I'm not sure if there are enough games to keep me interested. So far I only see KH and Mario Kart 7 as potential buys, and nintendo does have a great slate coming. Then I recently got hold of the Vita (my friends) and I was impressed with the graphics. Im just not sure about the game list because the PSP didnt have so many games i liked. But now with the current slate of games I see P4Golden and Gravity Rush.

Just need help and opinions before I make my buy next sunday. any help, tips, games and whatever is welcome. Thanks.
    Post Merge: [time]1355043521[/time]
    also I just found out that Square Enix will be releasing an HD update for FF 10 in the ps3 and Vita which happens to be one of my all time fave FF games

2. doommaker

doommaker Guest

I bought a Nintendo 3ds so I could play The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time 3d...but it wasn't really worth it (unless you love the game like me <3)...I don't own a ps vita,but I tried one before and it feels a little awkward but I'm sure I would have gotten use to it :p.

It also really depends on what kind of games you like to play (like you were saying).I'm pretty sure the ps vita is hacked already (not 100% sure,but that's means access to emulators,free games,and home brews!) and the graphics are quite amazing ;D.

while the Nintendo 3ds,on the other hand,has no working flash cards that play 3ds games (December 10,2012) but,some will run Nintendo DS games (also dsi games). The graphics for the 3ds aren't
    "amazing" but they are respectable.
    The 3D effect which was the main attraction is pretty awesome the first time you look at it...but it gets kind of old...

Nintendo 3DS 7/10

Sony PS Vita N/A

(I would personally go for the vita ;))

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I got so burnt from my purchase of both the PSP and Vita that I'm willing to say that the Vita is following the path of the PSP. And so far it seems that the Vita is a watered down PS3 and the Vita versions of games are far worse than the console versions.

I'd recommend the 3DS because the Vita doesn't have that much stuff coming out for it and there isn't much out for it even now. The 3DS has some good stuff out now and on the horizon as well, along with different content. The Vita push of 'console experience on handheld' never appealed to me as it often falls flat and the most part so far it has, and either way I'd rather play it on my console. The 3DS has stuff that's different and I'm really, really excited for Ace Attorney and Luigi's Mansion 2 and the sort.

As far as 3D goes, I'd say it's irrelevant and it varies from person to person. I don't really care about the feature and if anyone says it's the main selling point should really reevaluate the 3DS and DS.

4. doommaker

doommaker Guest

we should trade xD

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No, Persona 4 may be good but it's the only game that I'd consider a must have. The rest are console ports (even persona 4) of some sort and I don't care about the graphics. The only game I'm actually excited for is Soul Sacrifice and that's it, I can't think of anything else even when I look for upcoming Vita games. I won't say it's a bad handheld, cause the hardware is good, but there's no point if there's no games for it.

I'd assume the reason why you want the Vita so bad is because you don't have it, trust me, if you did, you'd feel the same way as me.

6. doommaker

doommaker Guest

ya I thought about that as well.....

7. tarotmaniac

well i get what you mean. I'm just not sure if the 3DS will be able to satisfy my game lust (lol dont really know how to express what I feel) I just feel like it seems gimmicky (though the vita seems that way too). The roaster for 3DS games is impressive but I don't know. I just feel that the vita has a lot of potential and that marketing and what not was just not on its side. I know it wont be as popular as 3ds or even outsell it but i don't know I feel like it has a lot of potential. The 3ds is as is and it's great since I got to try it. But i feel like it might end up like my ds. I'm just really confused now, sorry If i sound incoherent. Im just trying to process everything

I felt the same for when i got my ds. I wanted it since I didn't have it but I was initially underwhelmed and I didn't find myself playing a whole lot. Then when I got a flashcard I played more since I was able to download games and had more variety but I was never really satisfied with the excemption of some great games.

8. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

give the money to charity, you don't sound like you actually want either of the two. they'll be able to put the money to better use than a console sitting on a shelf collecting dust

9. tarotmaniac

It may sound like i dont want neither but in actuality i want both. I just want to hear what other people have to say about the systems because im pretty sure some people here have one or the other.

And I already donate to charity twice a year, on my birthday and on Christmas.

10. Niflheim

Niflheim Horrible evil rat

Get a 3DS now, and wait for the price to drop on the Vita.
    The Vita doesn't really have anything worth playing if you don't speak Japanese, and it's bound to have a price cut soon due to its abysmal sales.
    There's no point in wasting money on something you won't play much.

lol

11. tarotmaniac

Weridly enough after checking game lists for both, I have more for Vita.
    Post Merge: [time]1355326240[/time]
    I would also like to mention that the price of the Vita and 3DS XL are the same. The 3DS is slightly cheaper but not by as much as you would think

12. jadster 1996

jadster 1996 Well-Known Member

If you happen to get a 3DS (which I encourage speaking as an owner of the two), try out Kid Icarus Uprising.
    It's a pretty fun game that has a tun of shit to do and even decent online.
    Along with that, the 3DS is getting a ton of good games between now and March ( Monster Hunter, FE, Animal Crossing, Weegee, Castlevania, EO4) so it should keep you entertained for quite a while.
    The PSV is pretty fun but honestly, the games that came out for it in the last few months, as well as the upcoming releases till March, are all watered down console games bar DJ Max, P4G, and Gravity Rush.

13. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Whichever one is the easiest route to hack...

The PS Vita sucks because it uses its own proprietary memory card that is unreadable using a PC and is mega-expensive to boot.

That's basically all I know of the two consoles since I own neither and will probably never own these until an easy one-click hack is out.

They need some sort of supported PC-friendly video-out or recording system so people can post gameplay videos on Youtube. I'm sick of having to resort to DeSmuME for recording gameplay videos.

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

No, you NEED a memory card.

15. tarotmaniac

a 4gb memory card for the Vita is about $15 here. Is that expensive?

16. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

4GB isn't ideal at all, games and demos hover around the 1gb mark so you can't have a lot on the memory card. You'd want an 8GB or 16GB memory card for convenience. 30$ and 60$ respectively. In comparison to an SD or Mini SD card the prices are a tragedy. In other words, yes, it is expensive.

50$ cheaper is 50$ cheaper, combined with the fact that each requires a game and the Vita requires a memory card. The 3DS XL + game would be 240$, while the base vita would be 315-350$ depending on the mem card. If you're including bundles, than there's the Mario Kart 7 bundle versus the Assassin Creed or CoD bundle with the Vita. While I'm impartial to MK7 (it's bleh in comparison to other MK games), I can say that both Liberation and CoD are not very good and are badly handled console counter parts, to which both franchise are mostly average anyways (I'm inclined to say that AC3 isn't very good).

I find it kind of funny that Gravity Rush is held in such high regard when it's only an okay game, the only fun part is the gravity mechanic cause it's fun flying around; everything else in the game is only alright. Virtue's Last Reward and Persona 4 are the few games I'd recommend on the system, both of which can be found on other consoles, mind you but these are the better versions.

Regardless, you seem like you were already decided from the get-go, why make this topic?

17. tarotmaniac

I just wanted to hear some opinions. I feel like I just need some perspective before making the final decision. I was thinking maybe someone would say something to change my mind or to ease me that I'm making the right choice. Likewise yes, i have decided, now fully. I will get the Vita, but I do like the 3ds but I want some games that are console equivalent. Nintendo still seems on the fluff for me in terms of games but i know in the long run I'll eventually get one, like how i got a ds first then a psp later.

Regarding the price again, the bundles they have here are horrible and way over priced. I did some canvasing and the Vita with 8gb mem card is the same price as a 3ds Xl handheld.

18. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Fair enough.

You found some under 200$? I can't find anything under 250$, even just the system is 250$, and the 3DS XL is on sale in the US and CAN for 160$ right now. As far as bundles go, I'd go the Ass Creed one, CoD is awful.

19. doommaker

doommaker Guest

[​IMG]

20. tarotmaniac

The Vita, 8gb mem card plus two games will cost here about $ 320, a 3DS XL with 2 games will cost about $ 300

the vita bundle is like $450++