1. This forum is in read-only mode.

What was YOUR reason for pirating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

You can only say that because you live in a part of the world that has a good economy :p

Try being smug like that if you live in a third world country :p

2. King Cookie

King Cookie Well-Known Member

I agree. If you live in a place where games aren't available or are extremely high priced, it's a good reason. Everything else doesn't matter. Including being poor.

3. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

"good economy"? i just can't see it that way.
    I know exactly what it's like to be poor. The area i grew up in was a complete shithole, it was like a fucking slum. My circumstances were probably no better or worse than yours, i really don't even want to go into the details.
    But, that was only until i was old enough. As soon as i could, i left home near as soon as i found a full-time job, fuck uni (even though i wanted to) or anything else, i just couldn't stand being a leech.

Believe me, life is still unbelievably shit for the poor, no matter the country, obviously not as bad as third world countries so don't even bother point that shit out, do you live in one?

And really most of reasons here ARE bullshit, being poor doesn't automatically entitle you to something now does it.

I sure do think this ESA stuff is load of bull though, it's fine for ds games etc. they're currently being sold and it's just fucked up to the people who do buy them and the good game devs.
    But banning all the old stuff (and some are soooo damn old) really is just amazing, are these companies planning to re-sell these in the future or something? probably so.. fucking idiots.

4. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I don't feel that being poor is justification to my pirating. You interpreted it completely wrong if that's what you think. This is just a thread asking why we pirate. It isn't a thread requesting justification for our ways.

I pirate because that's the only way I can play new releases on my DS. Simple as that. I know it's illegal and wrong by most standards, and I honestly don't care. It's how I choose to get games and is one of few options I have. Picking between no games and pirating, I picked the choice that would keep me happy.

5. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

That makes two of us.Sadly most of the ppl like him immediately assume that we use excuses just to justify it when that's not the case here.However truth be told If I'm able to get a permanent Job with good hours(Which I'm STILL searching for I've been throwing in my resume like a madman >_>) then I'd buy and stop piracy once and for all but since I'm still unemployed I'll pirate till the day I'm employed once again.Whenever that'll be >_>

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

You say you do not understand what having a better economy, or rather having a better monetary value means? Let me explain it to you by giving an analogy:

Say the entire world uses one monetary unit. Let's call it Gil (to reference Final Fantasy). Now let's say you have a blue collar job like being a factory worker. In this factory you earn 5,000 Gil per month for working in a 10 hour per day shift for six days a week. You might be going, "Woot! ROFL COPTERZ OMG! I'm rich! I'm earning 5,000 Gil a month! Oh but wait.... the Economy of this world is so bad that 5,000 Gil is barely enough to support your family & a single original videogame software costs 4,000 Gil a pop. Still feeling awesome?

If you don't know how the Economy impacts your life, then you're nothing more than a clueless noob!

You have no idea what "being poor" means :p

Is your slum community built on a waste disposal landfill? Is your slum situated in a cemetery? Is your house precariously built under a bridge? Do people in your community sell their kidneys &/or other body parts for what they think is a sizeable amount of money only to regret it later? Do families in your community sell their kids because their families are too big & there's not enough money to support everyone? In order to have something to eat, do families in your so called poor community go through fast food restaurants' left overs bins to scrounge for food? Have you tried preparing food made out of half rotten meat & vegetables? Have you tried feeding a family of six with a meal consisting of a 200 gram instant noodle soup that you had to share between all six of you?

If what your poor conditions is any one of these or a combination, then you really lived in an impoverished community :p Poverty goes beyond being jobless or having no money, it also encompasses having little to no opportunities to "help yourself" to get up & out of an impoverished situation.

Where you're from finding a good job seems pretty easy enough seeing you did say that when you were old enough you left home & found yourself a stable job. Good for you then :p

Now how about if you live in a part of the world where even after graduating from Uni with honors the only job you could get is mining for coal? Here in my country only a whopping 3 out of 10 College Graduates ever finds a stable job. The seven left jobless are not lazy ass bums as you'd think :p They've no job because there are not enough opportunities open for them :p

Now how about living in a country where High School education isn't enough to land you a good paying job? Sad to say, in my country about 4 in 10 children never get to graduate Elementary education & about 6 in 10 Elementary Graduates never even get to enter high school, so in such conditions, how can you hope to nab a good paying job may I ask?

So by following your example that you're so very proud of in my country's setting, the only "best" opportunities for you are:

1. Being a Criminal - either being a lowly pickpocket or a Drug syndicate leader, your choice :p
    2. Being a stripper, sex worker or hustler.
    3. Going the "legit" way & being a street vendor peddling either fruits, vegetable or what have you, problem is the Cops are always there to claim their "protection money" of which if you do not pay they'll razzle up your wares or worse put you in jail :p

The problem with your arguments is you're seeing things from a one sided angle :p

No D'uh!? :p

You've been on RomUlation for some time now that you should've known my background all too well by now :p

The way I understood this part of your argument is that you're saying that being poor doesn't entitle you to anything? Am I right?

So does that mean if you're poor & can't afford food that you're better off dead? If you're poor you're not entitled to get Basic Education, that is learning the three "R's" (reading, writing & arithmetic)? I'm guessing human rights gets tossed off the shelf when you're poor eh? Oh wait! My country is a perfect example of your ideology :p If you're poor the rich can easily throw you around because they have money & can bend the law to their will. And what of freedom of speech? If you're poor, not only are your voices not heard, you get massacred all 57 of you :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maguindanao_massacre

If your way of thinking IS as such, let me tell you now, you wouldn't want to piss off lowly peasants as they can retaliate a hundred fold if you piss them of enough.

7. King Cookie

If I was in that situation, I would do anything possible to get a plane ticket.

8. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Running away from any problem is never a solution.

@Usoppu: I do know such things can happen in a 1st World country as I did kept myself informed about America's recent Economic recession. I just thought you were one of those proud Americans who think the world revolves around them is all.

10. King Cookie

Actually, moving to a first-world country with more jobs opportunities and a better economy would generally solve just about all the problems you said.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

True, unfortunately many have already died in Foreign lands because of this. Some get trialed & sentenced to death for accidentally killing their foreign employers who attempted to rape them. Of course because they are overseas workers working in a foreign land, the judges would rule in favor of the Citizen even though he/they were the cause of it all.

Also, there are places nowadays who are refusing overseas employees simply because their own countrymen are lacking in job opportunities, which was what was the focus of the South Park episode titled "Goo Backs".

12. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

Damn and here I thought I had it bad :eek:

13. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Even for someone with no life this is too much to read.

14. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

Huh? I'm not from America......... UK actually.

You not knowing doesn't surprise me though, it's not something i post around the place.

15. moncole

moncole New Member

because i moved, and i cant buy ds games any more

16. it should NOT be illegal because say you wanted resident evil 3. good luck finding it on ebay when people lie and say
    its new and sell it for over $200. My uncle fell for it. What a sap.

17. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's the thing, some old gems are INDEED hard to find & often your only option would be to download ROM/ISO images of these things.

And no, I don't support Nintendo's Virtual Console crap :p

First, you'd need to buy a new (current gen) console. Second, you'd use it to "technically" download with pay games that only a handful of you would even care for. And third, the blasted thing doesn't support fan translations :p Say you want to play Bahamut Lagoon legitemately, you can but the game would still be in Japanese, so there goes a major waste of good money.

And no, I'm not really into the Wii's motion controls gimmick, I'd rather you give me an old fashioned gamepad than make we wave about like a deranged monkey all day long.

18. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Because I can.

19. Lea-Gamer

Lea-Gamer Well-Known Member

1. It's hard to find legit copies of the retro games I want

2. If the downloads work, why NOT use them? (Otherwise, I'll do anything in my power to find them)

3. When Pokemon comes out in 2+ versions, I get one legit and the other not so I can trade between my two Ds's.

20. manjithxxx

manjithxxx Well-Known Member

People here in India doesn't consider owning games a luxury, they consider it as a waste of money. And where I live it's actually harder to obtain legit games than pirated ones :p . So why bother?