1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Why do people these days LOVE shooting games!!! (no offense though)

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by sd95, Jun 29, 2009.

1. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

2. Rayder

Rayder Well-Known Member

I guess I'm just weird then.....I don't like FPS games at all, and I'm pretty burnt out on RPG's from way back in the C64 days. I like shmups (Gradius, R-Type, etc), good platformers (Turrican and other non-cutesy run-and-guns), old-school arcade games (Galaga, Asteroids, Pac-Man, etc.), 3D space shooters (Wing Commander, Freespace), racing (arcade or sim).....that sort of stuff.

With FPS's, they just all seem the same to me, stare down the barrel of a gun and blast anything that moves. The only thing that ever really changes is the graphics. I had enough of them after the first Quake game, though I have tried some since, but they don't really change much.

With RPG's.....I don't know, they just don't hold my interest anymore....they seem too boring and tedious. It just feels like I've been-there-done-that way too often.....which is likely true since I played almost every RPG ever made for the C64.....back in the day.

While much the same thing can be said for the types of games that I stated I DO like, at least they are fun. Fun seems to be a term that has gotten lost on many game developers these days. Most games now seemed more designed to annoy, aggravate and splash pretty graphics all over the screen, or are just too sickeningly cutesy for me to tolerate. They are too short and have definite endings. Many of them require you to hunt down a FAQ or hintbook to complete. I don't have time for that.

I prefer games that don't end and go on forever until you run out of lives, games that are unique and don't have 50 bazillion cookie-cutter replicas of the same thing. Games that are original and don't use the "engine" of some other game. Games that don't go on and on with pointless story blah-blah. If I want a story, I'll read one of my books.

But see, I'm 41. I got 30+ years of all kinds of gaming on my side. I've pretty much seen it all, remember the good times, lived through the nasty videogame industry crash back in the '80's, owned multitudes of console system through the years.
    As an older person, my tastes in games have changed from wanting to spend hours and hours grinding away at some RPG to just wanting something easy to pick up and play that's actually fun and exciting. I find nothing fun or exciting about shooting people in a realistic FPS. I prefer twitch games where I either play it until I die, or until life finds something else for me to do. I don't have time for 80-hour RPG's anymore.

But you know, that's just me. ::)

3. 3dd13

3dd13 Well-Known Member

you see, its a way to let out your violent side. i have often wanted to join the taliban just so i could kill people. fps take care of that urge for me!

4. asdzxc123789

asdzxc123789 Well-Known Member

You both are strange people :D

5. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Wellll
    Let's put it this way
    Most RPGs are hit or miss, they can be spectacularly awesome or utterly boring whilst FPS/ThPS games can be be reasonably well and not horrible to play even if they aren't spectacular

6. Krusha

Krusha Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm a natural at FPS games, after playing against some "pros" at AVCON I just feel FPSs are for people who are incapable at playing other games...

I mean, I randomly got stuck in a match against the guy who won the halo 3 tourney, he only beat me by 1 kill, I had only played Halo 3 ONCE EVER before.
    I'm not trying to say that I'm some kind of gaming god, it's more likely everyone I ever vsed at an FPS has sucked... but I'm starting to wonder...

7. sd95

sd95 Well-Known Member

hmm.....i'm starting to think you are saying that you are a gaming god...but no worries :)

8. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Most people playing FPS games use no strategy and just run out and shoot using their reaction times and tougher weapons

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Doesnt work in all fps games, the better ones force you to use a certain amount of strategy

10. sd95

sd95 Well-Known Member

i agree...

11. asdzxc123789

but you hate FPS's ?

12. Mario94

Mario94 Well-Known Member

SHoot em up games are awesome

13. sd95

sd95 Well-Known Member

i never said i hate FPS...i just prefer rpg

14. asdzxc123789

lol RPG and FPS are completely diffrent. You love one or another. You may like ,but not love.

15. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I like shooters because I find that they are a good way to relieve anger... Just keep shooting the same guy in the face until I feel better... I like RG's to an extent, I'm just not really a fan of RPG's with the turn-based style of play. That's the only reason why I can't play the original Fallout games.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I love both, the one I play depends on what I want out of a game at the time.

17. sd95

sd95 Well-Known Member

yeah, turned-based are getting old

18. olliebot

olliebot Well-Known Member

Agreed. It has to be a masterpiece for me to play. Such as FFX. :p

But shooters aren't that fun IMO. Why? Because they are tedious to move and you can never get the sensitivity spot on. Action rpg's top shooters. :)

19. sd95

sd95 Well-Known Member

hehe :p

20. sheepdragon

sheepdragon Member

I've been playing Doom since '95, and regard Doom 2 as the best game ever made, because of all the custom content. So FPS is obviously one of my favorite game genres, along side RTS, RPG and Platformers.