1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wii Soft-Mod Information

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by ace1o1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Information will be added as time goes on.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

PLEASE READ THE SPOILERS!!!

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO MOD YOUR WII!!

DO NOT UDPATE YOUR WII VIA NINTENDO IF YOU HAVE HOMEBREW!!! 4.3x IS OUT NOW AND IS BAD NEWS FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!
    If you really need 4.3, then check here for a safe update from Waninkoko.

If you DO have 4.3, then try the Brawl Exploit, which works in successfully installing the Homebrew Channel which can be found here.
    Be careful as I don't know ANYTHING about adding Priiloader or BootMii with 4.3, but I'm assuming it doesn't do anything, like 4.2 did.

New Wii Hack! Bathaxx using Lego Batman and a hacked save file.
    Yet another Wii Hack - Return of the Jodi using Lego Star Wars the Complete Sage and a hacked save file.

I am NOT responsible if you brick your Wii in any way or form. This includes banner bricks, full-bricks, and losing the ability to play GameCube games.

You MUST mod your Wii in order to play backup games for free without a mod-chip.
    -Some Wiis can't read/play DVD-R or any other DVDs that are patched due to a disc drive that is not capable of reading DVD-Rs or any burned disc.

Checking your Wii System Menu number.
    -Turn on your Wii.
    -Go to the Wii icon in the lower-left-hand corner of your screen.
    -Go to System Settings.
    -Your Wii System Menu Number is on the upper-right-hand corner of your screen.
    --For example, my Wii System Menu number is 4.2U.

Wii Modding Guides.

-If your Wii is 3.1-4.1, then use this guide to mod your Wii.

-If your Wii is 4.2, then use this guide to mod your Wii.

-If your Wii is 4.3, then use this guide to mod your Wii.

Wii Un-modding Guide

DarkCorps v1.1.

There is this wonderful program for your Wii known as DarkCorp v1.1.
    (Previously known as cIOSCorps.)

Download DarkCorp v1.1 Lite

DarkCorp FAQ can be found here.

What this program does is basically mod your Wii for you completely.
    It enables you to run burned Wii/GC games directly from the disc channel!
    I installed this the other day and was very impressed by it.
    It can even make your Wii play DVD+Rs! This is a first for the Wii to be able to do so.
    You will still need to install the Homebrew Channel.
    Grab the HackMii installer and the copy of BannerBomb you need to install the Homebrew Channel on your Wii.

Download HackMii installer (Homebrew Channel, DVDX2, and BootMii Beta 4)
    Download BannerBomb (Select the System Menu you have)

This is the easiest way to play backups if you are completely new to the Wii scene.

Please check your Wii drive number below before install DarkCorps as some of the newer Wiis can not play any kind of DVD+/-R.

If your Wii's serial number is LU7306 or higher, then you will NOT be able to play DVD-R's on your Wii.
    You will only be able to play from USB if your Wii Serial Number is the same or higher than LU7306.
    -Check your Wii Drive Number on this great page. Actually read it.

Wii ISOs - Patching and Burning

Wii Brick Blocker
    This application for Windows patches any Wii ISO that has an update in it.
    -Double click the application icon to open it.
    -Click "Browse".
    -Select the ISO to patch.
    -Click "Patch".
    -Wait until the progress-bar is full and the "Complete" label appears.
    -Optional: click on "Read info" to view some ISO related useful information.

IOS Patcher
    This application changes the IOS that a game reloads to.
    -Simply drag the ISO to the .exe file.
    -Type in 249 and press enter.

Burning Wii Games
    To burn a Wii game, use the program ImgBurn and burn the Wii ISO at 4x speed for maximum quality onto a non-cheap DVD-R.
    -Download ImgBurn Here.

Backup Launchers

USB Loader GX
    Uloader (it's in Spanish. Look for the Download Button)
    NeoGamma
    Configurable USB Loader
    *Cover Floader/WiiCoverFlow
    *Wii Flow

*Do not support DVD Launching.

More on USB/Backup Launchers.

USB Loading Information
    You'll need cIOS222 to play/rip games to USB.

Compatability List of USB Devices for Wii Games/Homebrew

Adding/Dumping Wii Games to/from Your USB Device From your Computer
    1. Download this program, WBFS_win.
    -Unrar it.
    -Plug in your USB device into your computer.
    -Open WBFS_win.exe.
    -See which drive letter your USB device is and press that letter when the program asks you to.

--You may need to format the device.
    --It will ask you to if so and just press y and then enter and do that again until the drive is formatted to WBFS. (This destroys all of the data on the drive, so backup your files if there are any on it).

-To add Wii ISOs/CSOs to your USB Device, do the steps above, and make sure you have enough room on your USB Device.
    --Press 1 to add an ISO/CSO.
    --Wait for it to finish and you're done.

-To extract a game from your USB Device, press 3 to extract a CSO, or press 4 to extract a burnable ISO image.
    --If you extract an ISO, patch it with the patching tools I have provided.

-To remove a game on your USB Device, just simply press 5 and hit y and then enter.

Adding Games from Your Wii
    In this I will be talking about USB Loader GX for game ripping.
    -If your Wii is standing up, plug your USB Device into the left Wii USB slot. (The right one is for power).
    --If your Wii is on it's side, plug your USB Device into the bottom Wii USB slot. (The top one is for power).

-Start up your Wii.
    -Launch the Homebrew Channel or USB Loader GX.
    -Launch USB Loader GX from the Homebrew Channel.

--Insert the game that you want to install on your USB Device.
    -A message will pop-up that says some stuff.
    -Click install game.
    -Wait for another window to pop-up and click Yes or No if you don't have enough room on your USB Device.
    ---The speed of the rip depends if you're using a real disc or burned disc.
    --Real discs can go up to speeds of 8MB/s and burned discs can go up to 3MB/s depending on how your Wii is feeling at the time. :p

Playing GameCube Backups On Your Wii

Please refer to DarkCorps for installation.

You will need to install DarkCorps to play GC backups from your Disc Channel.
    You will also need to install Waninkoko's cMIOS Patcher or Wii Gator's GC Backup Launcher from the DarkCorps menu.
    I prefer Waninkoko's just because it autoloads the game and region.

About Wad Files and How to Use Them

A wad file is just a packet of data that you can install onto the Wii to add things like games, IOS', or DLC.

A wad file can be downloaded with NUSDownloader, but I will not cover this. Go here for NUSDownloader.
    --Get latest of NUSDownloader here.

In turn, you can also download wad files from different sites. (PM me for those sites).

Installing a Wad File
    -To install a Wad File, you need to soft-mod your Wii if you haven't done so already.
    --Put the wads you are installing into the /wads folder on your Wii SD Card.
    --Next download Wadmanager 1.5 and put it in your /apps folder on your Wii SD Card.
    -Download here.
    --Run Wadmanager from the Homebrew Channel and Select IOS249 to use during installtion. (If it freezes, then you need to do a further soft-mod or try a different IOS to use, though I suggest not doing that.)
    --Proceed with pressing A through the prompt screens until you get to NAND Emulation.
    -I never have used it, so I suggest leaving this off.
    --Next choose the wad you want to install/uninstall.
    -DO NOT UNINSTALL A WAD/IOS UNDER 200 OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR WII!!!
    --Wait for it to install and then either hit Home to go back to the Homebrew Channel or install more wads.

Dumping Wad Files
    If you want to backup your WiiWare/Virtual Console/IOS/etc, then just use this simple application.
    Wad-Creator v1
    -Just run the application in the Homebrew Channel and select which file you want to backup.
    -Select the place you want to store it (ie - USB Mass Storage Device or Wii SD Card).
    -It will backup your WiiWare/Virtual Console/IOS/etc, to a wad file for installation or backup on another console.

Wii Update Applications

IOS58 Installer
    I would recommend to anyone who is not on 4.3 to use this application and install IOS58 to reap the benefits!
    IOS58 Installer does one thing, and one thing only - download and install IOS58 from the Nintendo update servers. This process does not involve any system-critical parts of the system, and is completely safe. IOS58 is required for USB 2.0 support in homebrew applications and is the default IOS used by HBC 1.0.8+. It is included in System Menu 4.3, but those who do not wish to update to 4.3 can just run this installer to get the benefits of IOS58.

Pimp My Wii
    Installs the latest IOS' with Trucha Bug.

cIOSX-rev21d2x-v3
    This is a revision of Wanikoko's cIOS38, which can now be installed as 4 different IOS'.
    This is the main way to play backup games on your Wii.
    -Select IOS249 to install as and continue reading the instructions.

cIOS222 Installer.
    In this pack is cIOS222 installer which allows you to play from USB and helps with Homebrew as well.
    -Install the IOS' using 249.
    -Select the IOS you want to install.
    -Select the recommended IOS (if there is no recommended IOS, then just select the first one it was on).
    -Press 1 to install.
    -Run the installer until all the cIOS' are isntalled.

PriiLoader
    -DO NOT DOWNLOAD UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT PRIILOADER IS, DOES, AND YOU HAVE IT!!!
    -This can brick your Wii if you don't have this installed and have the right IOS installed to use it.
    -Be VERY careful with Priiloader.
    --Requires IOS70 in order to work properly if you don't want to brick your Wii.
    --Use IOS249 in order to install.
    ---Hold B to use IOS249 and press "+" to install or "-" to uninstall Priiloader.

Emulators for Wii

NES Emulator
    SNES Emulator
    Nintendo 64 Emulator

GB/GBC/GBA Emulator
    NDS Emulator for Wii

Sega Genesis Emulator
    Sega Master System/Gamegear Emulator
    Sega Saturn Emulator

Playstation (PSX) Emulator

Atari 2600 Emulator
    Atari 7800 Emulator
    Atari Lynx Emulator

NeoGeo Pocket Emulator

Homebrew Games

Homebrew Applications

-These include media players, alarm clocks, random applications, etc...
    WiiXplorer
    -Explore your Wii SD Card.

Any Title Deleter
    --Be careful with this as you may delete things you don't want deleted.

Wii Web Server
    -A web server for Wii.

WiiMC 1.1.5
    Wii Terms

cIOS - a custom IOS file that you install on your Wii to play Homebrew or backup games.
    cISO - a compressed ISO image of a Wii game.
    Hermes - a Wii homebrew coder responsible for Hermes cIOS installers, Uloader, and Wii App Managers for Windows.
    HollyWood - the Wii graphics chip.
    ISO - one of many types of image files of a CD/DVD/Blu-ray discs. A Wii game disc image.
    IOS - the operating system that runs on the Starlet coprocessor inside the Hollywood package. It provides the services that are used by Wii code to access most of the system devices.
    System Menu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Menu
    Uloader - a backup launcher created by Wii coder Hermes.
    USB Loader GX - a backup launcher created by Waninkoko and modded by others.
    USB Loading - Loading Wii/Homebrew games via USB.
    Wad - The WAD file-format is a file-format that contains information for the wii, such as System Menus, IOSs, and Channels.
    Wad Manager - a Wii app that allows you to install wad files created by Waninkoko.
    Waninkoko - a Wii homebrew coder responsible for a lot of Wii cIOS' and other Wii apps.
    WBFS - partition that your harddrive/flashdrive must be to put Wii games on your harddrive/flashdrive
    WBFS Managers - A program used to transfer Wii ISOs from your computer to your Wii HDD or vice-versa.

2. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

WiiFlow seems to be my fave loader.

Add a brick prevention section.
    http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/16650-unbrick-your-wii-banner-brick.html (FORMATS WHOLE WII)
    http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii-issues-only/53901-recovery-menu-brick-fixing-savemiifrii-autoboot-disks.html (MODCHIP Oriented)
    http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii-issues-only/26845-fully-brick-bootmii-boot2-installed-but-no-nand-backup-solution-here.html (Bootmii Boot2 oriented)
    http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii-issues-only/39094-preloader-priiloader-brick-fix.html (Priiloader Oriented)
    http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii-issues-only/38726-semi-brick-system-settings-locked-opera-error.html (
    http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii-issues-only/38777-oh-sh-t-black-screen-wii.html
    http://www.wiihacks.com/bricked-wii-issues-only/22630-bricking-unbricking-faq.html
    Assure everyone makes a NAND backup, has bootmii as boot2 if possible, PriiLoader, or a mod chip handy. If you are willing to, post how to cIOSCORP.

Also to virginize a Wii: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/18372-how-remove-softmods-make-your-wii-virgin.html
    To fix up and over HBC or errors installing HBC (install bootmii on cIOSCORP and Trucha Bugged IOS 38/61): http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/29080-how-fix-no-vulnerable-ios-error-when-installing-hbc.html
    Emulate WiiWare: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/28628-triiforce-mrc-user-guide-how-load-wii-ware-usb-drive-sd-card.html
    USB Loader Compatibility List: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/36504-usb-compatibility-list.html
    WBFS Partition Creator for USB Loaders: http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/14270-wbfs-partition-creator.html

3. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Just a question about the wii menu 4.2 guide...
    If I only want the HBC, do I have to do all the other stuff?
    I don't really want to play burnt games or watch movies on my wii, just emulators and such.

what I mean is, do I have to do parts A,B,C,and D.
    or can I just do part A

4. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

Yes.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You only have to do part A then. :)

The most interesting Wii emulator as of now is the NDS emulator!
    It was just started last week and it can play a few games (non-touch screen).
    It plays Yoshi's Island DS pretty well.
    It's open-source too, so if you know how to code and want to contribute, then you can. :)

6. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

Awesome thread! this should be a sticky! and is that a DS emulator i see for DS??? omg I shall download that in a heart beat! Also, I wish I had multiple wii's so I could expirement and learn more about wii soft modding.. since I already modded my wii, but I still feel like I barely know anything.. especially all the priiloader,cIOSrev, cIOS installer, trucha bug talk.

Maybe links to what each thing is and is explained for newcomers would be kinda nice as a suggestion right? oh and what wads ect ect ect are and maybe pictures to make it more noob friendly.

Anyway, awesome thread.

7. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I would try that out, but the only problem is that my SD card is only 1GB and I wouldn't have enough room for the tons of SNES and N64 games I have on it now

oh and, I did part A only and it's working great, just spent the last few hours playing Super Metroid and Super Mario 64

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Good!
    Glad you got it working alright! ;D

@dragneon
    I'll add some revisions later on into the week.
    I still need to add a LOT more than is already there. :)

9. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Fixed. ;)
    I'm going to add more today.

Things to do.
    -Cleanup GC backup launching
    -Explain how to use BootMii
    ---How to rip/dump NAND
    ---What is NAND?
    ---Why do I need BootMii?
    -Other assortment of updates. :p

11. yoshi2889

I hate DeSmuME Wii.
    It doesn't even play Bejeweled Twist!

12. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Really? XD
    Well it did just start, so it's kinda shitty, but it plays Yoshi's Island very welll!

My favorite emulator is VBAGX. I love being able to play Pokemon Emerald full-screen!!

13. yoshi2889

Mine is Wii64.
    Playing Diddy Kong Racing is SO MUCH FUN if you are using just the Wii remote :p

14. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I'm going to add a lot more homebrew applications for the computer and the Wii today, so look for minor updates. :)

15. yoshi2889

YAY!! I LOVE HOMEBREW!!!

Is there a... web server without DOLS and WADS that you must install yourself?
    IDK if it's available at the Homebrew Browser...

16. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the Wii only will run .dol files for it's programs. :\

17. yoshi2889

And ELFS, if correct?

18. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Opes...yes. .elf files as well. :p

19. passatcar

passatcar Member

thanx ace but it all seems a little complicated to me. anyway bye from me. it's bedtime.

20. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

It's not too too complicated. :)

It is in the beginning though.

Night.