1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wii U Vs Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Sahel123, Jul 13, 2017.

?

Do you prefer the Wii U or the Switch?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2019.
  1. Wii U

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Switch

100.0%
  1. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

Alright, so both consoles have been out for a while now, but because of their similar function, is it really worth to purchase both? The Wii U was released on November 18, 2012. On the other hand, the Nintendo Switch was released on March 3, 2017. Looking at the system specification, it appears that the Nintendo Switch possessed more powerful hardware. Why not? After all, it replaced the IBM CPU and the AMD HD GPU with an NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor. Moreover, the Switch controller screen actually supports a higher 900p resolution. Here is further information the Switch specifications and the Wii U specifications from Nintendo's official site.

However, if one notes closely, the NVIDIA replacement with the AMD series was not a wise choice. True, the NVIDIA system offers greater power for HD visuals, but one can still notice several graphical glitches in various games. For instance, I tested out The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the WIld [BOTW] (which is probably among the last games for the Wii U) on both the Wii U and the Switch. The first thing I noticed is that the Switch port does not lag at all whereas the Wii U version lagged at certain points. Moreover, the internal game graphics appear higher on the Switch. For example, the blue fire torches seen in the beginning of the game have greater anti-aliasing on the Switch. Thus, the Switch offers a higher FPS and a higher resolution.

Nonetheless, the Switch version provides several graphical glitches. Even though the Switch claims to have higher RAM, I notice that the prop-draw distance is higher on the Wii U. Also, the Wii U provides refined quality of fog and actually shows it moving correctly. Another minor, but important detail, is that the Switch demonstrates graphical anomalies in terms of dynamic shadows. The Wii U system bragged about the quality of lighting and shadows. Although the Switch also offers this, its version is accompanied with glitches in BOTW. For instance, when a tree is supposed to block light which is trying to reach the grass below, shadows should be seen on the ground foliage. However, one should also note "patches" of light on the ground to show light piercing through the gaps in tree leaves. On the Switch, these "light patches" are shown at a lower resolution than the Wii U's despite the fact that the Switch has a greater screen resolution. This makes me feel that the Wii U ports on the Switch are actually being downsized.

However, I am only offering a test on one of the countless games. Your opinions and tests are vital to draw a conclusion. What do you think? Is the Nintendo Switch better overall...or is it the Wii U?

2. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

Well , I can't say anything about that since I've tried neither. But concerning shadows and fog, don't a lot of people (including me) turn them off for graphical improvement?
    In my opinion, They're useless anyway

3. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

Shadows are something which Nintendo takes pride in. I understand why you would like to turn them off, but Nintendo loves to add them in their games. As the shadows and fogs cannot be manually turned on or off on a Nintendo console (without modding the game itself), we have to see which console can run them most accurately and smoothly.

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

The Wiiu is dead and the switch just came out.

You're also comparing a game that got ported to the switch last minute.

That should tell you enough.

5. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

Given the criterion you use to refer to dead consoles, one would consider the following dead as well:
    Xbox 360
    Wii
    PlayStation 3

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2017
  6. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. Production of 360 hardware stopped last April and Wii hardware ceased production when the WiiU came out years ago.

As for PS3s, Sony tends to let older hardware linger into generations, the PS2 only ceasing production at the end of 2012/start of 2013. Aside from that though, the PS3 doesn't get any worthwhile exclusives anymore it's usually just ports.

7. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Those are dead consoles. Virtually no new games come out on those systems.

I love the Wiiu but the 10 games I own for it are all the games worth owning. The system came and went without a whimper. It was like the game cube without all the hidden gems. Switch came out like 5 months ago not fair to judge it

8. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

So, since the Wii U is dead, I presume you prefer the Switch? I want to know how many people prefer the Switch over the Wii U (or vice versa) given they provide a powerful argument in this serious discussion section.

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

The switch fucking blows.

I can't buy it cause it's never in stock.

10. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

Yeah, it is hard to find a Switch. They sell so quickly, but when you get one, make sure you perform these tests.
    What does that mean? Based on your following text, I assume it means it sells quickly. Just confirming, as I cannot interpret swear words and slang accurately.

11. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

It's a terrible system cause it's extremely difficult to buy.

12. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

Point approved as valid for now. I suppose that means you are cheering for the Wii U?

13. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I don't cheer for dead systems, not much of a point. I love my Dream cast but there's nothing I can cheer about it anymore.

14. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

Based on your comments, I am asking if you prefer the Switch to the Wii U?

15. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Too early to tell. I like the idea of the switch but without it being in my hands I can't judge

16. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

So, do you prefer the Wii U or the Nintendo Switch. For games initially launched on the Wii U, I currently recommend that one use the Wii U instead of the Switch to avoid graphical glitches. Are we in accordance?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  17. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

No, fellow human. I do not have a preference for Nintendo branded and created console hardware, nor am I interested in console gaming as a recreational activity at this moment in time. My intrusion in this topic of discussion was mainly to support the definition of "dead system" as used by the fellow Romulation user "Natewlie" and explain why the console hardware listed in your direct reply was fitting of that description. As such, I cannot say in the positive or negative any of this talk about graphical glitches because I do not own nor intend to own any console hardware produced and manufactured by Nintendo Co. Ltd.

18. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

I respect your expertise in language; I do not frequently get such use of language around here at RomUlation. Remember though, the correct sentence structure of the sentence in red should be "I do not own or intend to own". "Nor" is used in the "neither...nor" formation. Overall, my comment is positive towards your reply.

I understand that you probably will not be getting a Wii U or a Switch in the future, but if you figure something out about the hardware or performance, do post it here!

19. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

I don't care.

20. tomrobinsonz

tomrobinsonz Guest

switch is better.