1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wood R4 1.13 Cannot Find DS_MENU.DAT [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by totallydood, Oct 4, 2010.

1. totallydood

totallydood Guest

My friend got an original R4DS, but when I put the Wood R4 1.13 files on it from FileTrip, I get the infamous Cannot find DS_MENU.DAT. I clearly have the .DAT file on the root, so what gives?

The R4 is REAL, from Leetmod.

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Re: Wood R4 1.13 Cannot Find DS_MENU.DAT

Totallydood,

Try downloading from CoolKill3r's: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=39701

It should be in there, cause my version is from his links.
    2 things to download: 1. the __rpg folder and its contents and 2. the LOAD ME! file

For the R4DS, you can grab everyting and put all including the Wood R4 that you extract from the LOAD ME! into the __rpg folder. That includes the _DS_MENU.DAT for Wood that you've been searching.

3. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Make sure these two files are on the root:

_rpg
    The .dat file from the official Filetrip download.

These must be on the root of the MicroSD card.

Your MicroSD card also MUST BE 2gb or lower. If higher, it is an SDHC card and won't work anyways.

4. Prectorian

totallydood,

I got the same cart as your friend, R4DS original v.1.18. I got 2 firmwares working in it. Wood R4 and YSMENU. I know you have read or seen my past posts in your other forum page before about this.

This is the link for Wood R4 from CoolKill3r: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=39701

You can do 2 methods with the _DS_MENU.DAT that belong to WOOD R4;
    1. place it in the main root along side the _rpg folder, _system_ , etc. if you are only going to use Wood as the firmware.
    2. place the _DS_MENU.DAT inside the _rpg folder if you plan to add YSMENU too. Cause you know YSMENU also has its own version of _DS_MENU.DAT. Though the name is the same the 2 of them has different codings in it. You can't have the 2 of them in 1 folder or same root. The computer will ask if you want to overwrite each other.

Here's what my cart's SD Micro content look like when using YSMENU and WOOD at the same time for R4DS Original V.1.18 (I'm using Wood R4 v.1.13 from CoolKill3r's page and VividBoy H2Y mod YSMENU R4YSauto v.0.02):

__rpg folder <-- _DS_MENU.DAT that belong to Wood go in here with Wood R4.NDS
    _system_ folder ---> belong to R4 v.1.18
    moonshl folder <--- I think its a v.1.6 or v.1.7. opted not to upgrade to v.2.1 because of SD card size
    TTMenu folder <--- Unofficial TTDS v.117a12rev32
    YSMenu folder <-- YSMENU.NDS go in here with YSMENU.txt, R4patch.DAT and r4dldi.dat
    _DS_MENU.DAT --> belong to YSMENU or R4
    _DS_MENU.SYS --> belong to YSMENU or R4
    _DS_MSHL.NDS ---> readable only in YSMENU mode when console is on
    TTMENU.SYS <--- Unofficial TTDS v 117a12rev32
    YSMENU.ARP <-- only appear if you have a cheat code activated inside YSMENU.NDS

Side note:
    You can choose to upgrade the 'moonshell to v.2.1 stable' if you want but it will take up a lot of space for nothing, with minimum setting and files for the 'moonshell v.2.1 stable' its still around 56MB. But its not necessary to do this.

With the above setting as it is, I can run the Pokemon games. In fact I just posted in your other forum page about how to make the OfficialV2 playable on YSMENU, on page 36.

I've already got at least 5 persons saying this method work and stable, and I myself have been using it for over 2 weeks with no issues whatsoever.

5. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if he downloads it from my topic because i use the same download link.
    totallydood, Still visit my topic and take a look at the 'How To Set-Up Wood R4' section!

6. Prectorian

Hi Coolkill3r. Thank you very much for that Wood R4 link you posted in your forum page. It was very useful, saves me from a lot of trouble each time I update the PKM B/W that causes me to not able to use the YSMENU up to this morning. But now I've learnt from Max how to make the OfficialV1 and V2 work on YSMENU too. Thanks a lot, now I have PKM B/W playable on both firmwares .

7. CoolKill3r

Don't mention it!
    Also you may be interested in the 'Compatibility List' section, the link is on my topic!
    It is a list of all games that work and don't on Wood R4!

8. Prectorian

I've read it in your page while downloading the Wood R4. If a game don't work on Wood, I can immediately switch to YSMENU, and the same goes if it happen the other way around. That's the beauty of having 2 firmwares in 1 cart. But thanks for telling me about it.

9. totallydood

totallydood Guest

/FACEPALM TO THE MAX.. THE SD CARD IS A 4 GB (SDHC). I completely forgot that R4DS does not work with SDHC cards. I'm way too used to my DSTWO and AK2i. Oops!

I failed. Sorry guys -.-

10. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

LOL!! I guess using a card to many times and suddenly changing it can result in stupidity.

11. totallydood

totallydood Guest

Yeah.. I haven't used an original R4 in a long time. I've had AK2i for a while and DSTWO for a week or so. :\

Thanks anyways everyone. Mod/Admin please lock this.

12. CoolKill3r

Type normal man, or put it inside a spoiler!