1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Flash Carts: A Guide to What to Avoid and What to Buy

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by LuckyTrouble77, Jun 9, 2010.

1. 6Toushiro9

6Toushiro9 Well-Known Member

R4 is good.

2. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Their is also an "supercard DS" which isn't so good.
    One of my sisters friends has one and is complaining about it.

http://eng.supercard.sc/

Meaby add that to the post

3. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

Look at this THIS is what i like.
    good topic your not somone who says the R4 is crap and that it needs to be avoided :p

4. Devilkid32176

Devilkid32176 Well-Known Member

@Nathan Drake:
    i would like to know some more on the issues with the R4 SDHC (V2.10T) series cause i recently got one and let me tell you, hard finding supporting stuff for it, that's a joke really but i got mine to work but from what i can tell there is no YSMenu or Wood R4 that works with it, or just could be me, so any help would be nice on this, i don't really discredit any Flashcarts until i use them (except N5)

and another question about a different Flashcart, its the DSTT series (http://realhotstuff.com/-c-124_111.html) since i didn't see this set on your list, i would really like to know if this is a good cart to use, since im on a tight budget

5. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

The DSTT is an okay card. You should really just go to shoptemp.com, order an Acekard2i and get the free shipping. Those carts are so inexpensive now it isn't even funny, and it works far better than a DSTT cart. Also, this cart will work perfectly on any DS, and has the AKAIO firmware.

That R4 SDHC (v2.10T) is just over all a really bad clone. I wouldn't suggest it over anything except maybe a crappier R4 clone.

6. mr. awesome

mr. awesome Well-Known Member

I actually have to object about avoiding the r4i sdhc v1.4. It's actually good. Most new games work, theres still updating firmware (http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/indexe.asp) it has a "Games Engine" which allows you to download games from your ds directly to your computer via wifi, or update your r4i's firmware directly from the card. It's good about finding games that glitch and updating the firmware, and has nice skins. It's overall not a bad card.

7. Duvalier Alexandria

Duvalier Alexandria New Member

I would like to state that the G6 Real is a little beast.

I have never once updated the firmware and it plays literally everything.
    I have never once had problems with it when others go "I can't play this on such and such a card"

Its definitely outdated and comes with no fancy features at all, but because of that you can find it rather cheap.
    I saw one for 15 american.

8. LuckyTrouble77

I highly doubt it can bypass all the recent AP on its own, and there are carts that are better, come with more, that cost less.

Unless I hear more positive about it, it will remain in its current position. Firmware updates are no good if they rarely actually fix anything, the updating via wi-fi is incredibly slow (I've heard about the download rates, they are nothing to praise), and the Games Engine isn't a deal breaker. If I hear more about it that's positive, I'll move it up for sure. It's just that people buy flash carts for the compatibility, not the bells and whistles.

9. mr. awesome

Well, considering it could play, for example Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars before the crack even came out, and updates it from monthly to every three months, and you can email the site and tell them about a problem to which they email back within a couple days to a few hours and fix in their next firmware update, you might want to make it okay. But, if your still not convinced, here's a couple other supporters:
    http://shoptemp.com/products/R4i-SDHC-1.4-Red-Card-for-Nintendo-DS-DS-Lite-DSi-p-34.html (read the reviews)

Unlike the r4 sdhc and r4 original, this supports DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSiXL/LL.
    It can hold up to 32gb micro sd cards, like the r4 sdhc.

10. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Erhm DSTTi Gold is listed twice...

11. LuckyTrouble77

Probably meant to shift it up I suppose. I'll fix that pretty quick.

My only issue is, the GBAtemp review is very vague and doesn't even mention the cart specifically (it kind of looks like they just made a general R4 review and stuck it on every R4), and there is only one other review otherwise. I'll move it up for now, but it's still treading thin ice.

12. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

add something to the R4 spoiler like:
    For a long time the R4 hasent been updated. But since the Wood R4 firmware came it became a realy good Flashcard to have!

13. Landon1

Landon1 Well-Known Member

AVOID AVOID AVOID!
    LOL the R4 ultra is a P.O.S. Do not buy~slow updates(last update was half a year ago) btw its an acekard clone

14. LuckyTrouble77

There is actually a little snippet about Wood R4 already. Let me know if you think of anything that could improve it though.

I don't know why that wasn't on the list already. It's certainly there now.

15. yoshi2889

I'm sorry but no flashcard ever had the ability to bypass ALL AP checks without firmware updates.

16. kieran-123

kieran-123 Well-Known Member

the edge + iedge should be there because there good cards aswell :)

17. mr. awesome

Actually, Duvalier Alexandria never said that it could bypass AP, but, for example, say I have New Super Mario Bros. and some really crappy clone, and tons of games don't work, including New Super Mario Bros. Alright, then I find 4 other people that have the same problem and start a thread about it. Then say Duvalier Alexandria sees that thread, tests it on their G6 Real, and it works just fine.

18. yoshi2889

I assume that if ALL games work the card must have some bypasser.

19. Chrille1234

Chrille1234 Member

Nice thread, but now i can't decide if i will buy an Supercard DSTwo or CycloDS. The CycloDS is more expensive but the Supercard DSTwo seems to have more features and an onboard CPU.

20. LuckyTrouble77

They both have tons of great features, and while the Supercard DSTwo never needs an update (except that once), when the CycloDS does, the new Beta or full version is generally on the brink of release and fixes the issues.

They are both fantastic carts, it's just a matter of how many of those features you'll actually find yourself using, and if that $10 is a deal breaker or not.