1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Black Screen and Freezing Issues.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by zeyad477, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceColdKiller

IceColdKiller Well-Known Member

simply get desmume and no problems

2. oneuseonly

oneuseonly New Member

hey boys'n'girls,
    playin HG(J) on an original R4 (not 'i') and after using that chinese patch thing, i don't gte no black screen, but it still freeze every 40minutes. was that just a black screen patch and not freeze one?
    which patch do i use to stop the freezing, or both freezing and black screen? also, i dont wish to use xdelta and translate to english with them HGE_P patches, i just need those two issues fixed, freeze+BSOD. thankyou..

3. My Loss Is Your Gain

The freeze glitch is almost certainly tied to data on the save file. This knowledge should prove quite handy for the patchers because it means that they can look for an easy way to fool the ROM's anti-piracy checks (via shifting data on the .sav file) instead of trying to work around the core programming of the .nds file.

Basic Background Info:
    DS: Lite (USA, purchased Nov 2006, good condition)
    ROM: xpa-phg.nds (Pokémon Heart Gold, downloaded from Romulation)
    Renamed to: Pokemon Gold 2.nds
    Save file: Pokemon Gold 2.sav
    Modality: flashcart
    Specifically: CycloDS Evolution w/ firmware v.1.55
    MY SAVE FILE: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fn2fz2hyimh

And if you want to know what the essay ;p below is all about ... I have good reason to believe that my save file dependably freezes after every 3rd freeze-trigger. This makes it ideal for patchers who want to test their patching methods and/or try to figure out how the .nds file is communicating with the .sav file during these anti-piracy checks. Don't believe me? That's what the essay below is for. I encourage skeptics and patchers to please read through it. I know it's long, but I think it'll prove useful to you.

==================================================​

More Specific Info:
    I saved after defeating Akane (Whitney) and was headed to the Pokémon Center to get my team healed. As I left, the game froze. Annoying. I turned off the DS, turned it back on, and was thankful that I had saved mere seconds ago. This might prove to be my adventure's undoing, but it could also be very beneficial for the community as a whole.

I turned it back on, ran straight for the Center. I ...
    1. opened the door (glitch opportunity #1)
    2. talked to the receptionist at the desk (glitch opportunity #2)
    3. left the center (glitch opportunity #3 -- kicked in right there and then)

"Odd," I thought. "It's not even been 60 seconds. Must be a fluke."

Well, I'll spare you the story details and cut to the chase:
    Experiment #002. In a door, out a door, in a door -- froze.
    Experiment #003. In a door, up a floor, down a floor -- froze.
    Experiment #004. In a door, opened my bag, opened my team roster -- froze.
    Experiment #005. Opened my bag, opened my team roster, opened my bag again -- froze.

I did this a good dozen times. Every time I tried different permutations. Every time the same result.

It is time-independent. Sometimes I'd go bam-bam-bam knocking the steps off and it'd freeze in under 30 seconds. Other times I'd deliberately pause before doing the second step, and then when I resumed -- as expected -- nothing bad happened after the second step (despite waiting forever!), but doing the third step immediately thereafter froze it.

It is location-independent. I have successfully frozen on Turn #3 inside of Kogane City (Goldenrod), to the south of it, inside the PokeDay Care, to the north of the city, and inside the police station thing-a-majig on the way towards Sudowoodo and the bug catching contest park. (Suffice to say, I have yet to see these since seeing them almost a decade ago. Farthest north I've seen is the interior of that station with the dude asking you to take his letter to his buddy for him since he can't leave his post.)

===========================================================​

As it stands, I can't finish my game. It freezes no matter what I do on every third potential freeze trigger. Never #1. Never #2. Never #4. Always #3.

Because of this peculiarity, I figured it'd benefit the community to:
    (a) share this knowledge, and
    (b) share my .sav file

I see no reason in sharing my ROM because I have an unpatched ROM, so you can download it from Romulation just as easily as I did a day or two ago. All you should need (I would think) is my tiny savefile.

Once again, you can download my save file by clicking this link. The text file inside ("copyofpost.txt") is just what it says -- an almost-exact replicate of this post. (All it's missing is this paragraph + the url for the file, for obvious reasons!!)

4. Diablo361

Diablo361 Well-Known Member

i tried DeSmuME
    PokeGear still froze on me

5. Caturdayz

Caturdayz Active Member

A funny thing to note, but not a major glitch that occurs on NO$GBA: I was playing SS without volume (Emulation Setup> Sound output> None). Now, whenever a pokemon faints, the game freezes, but if I turn the volume back on, the pokemon's death cry plays and the game continues as normal.

Tested multiple times.

6. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

This is a known bug with even the earlier pokemon games on the NDS. It's one of the main issues with Diamond, Pearl, Platinum.

7. Caturdayz

Caturdayz Active Member

Sorry, wasn't aware that this was a diagnosed issue.

8. Eltoshen

Eltoshen Member

Woah, Potpourri Magister's idea sounds correct, actually.

I remember I didn't have any problems until I saved for the first time, after beating my rival. For now, I've stopped playing until the game/save gets patched.

9. luisjak

luisjak Member

the game to me only freeze when i start a battle with a trainer i have a r4 ultra i hope that one of you can help me to fix that

10. paisios

paisios Well-Known Member

for your desmume0.9.2, also worcs on r4 card http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4CQSC3AN

11. Alexhua

Alexhua Member

I have been using Naruto's pre-patched game on my Acekard2i but it eventually froze (about < 1 hour ?). It was working fine before then, though and much better than every 10 minutes.

I think I shall use Bojack's next to test it on the Acekard2i.

12. nightshizumu

nightshizumu Member

hey im using a R4 SDHC & i need the JAPANESE ver. no translation of heart gold or soul silver that doesnt have the black screen or freezing coz its pissin me off

after the 3rd badge the problem got worse
    can any1 help me? thanks

13. NDSFreak1085

NDSFreak1085 Member

Can Someone Post A Already Patched SOul Silver And Heart Gold Please?
    The Patcher Has PRoblems
    :(

14. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

Let me guess your save file took you back to the first Town?
    Thats wht happen on mine I got to the second gym and poof! Crashes and then back to choosing a start

anyone here have a decent working ROM of HGSS that can be played more then 20minutes?
    I have a ackekard2i and NO$GBA
    and it works fine till about 20minutes into the game

so anyone here have a decent working ROM for AK2i?
    if so Link please

Also I read somewhere on Youtube that puting your computer in hibernate mode helps saving? nit sure if this is true or not.

15. nightshizumu

nightshizumu Member

actually mine saves good but whenever i do (after i got the 3rd badge) AFTER i save i get the black screen & when i enter or leave a building, black screen.

And it does that like every 30sec (after gettin the 3rd badge) pissin me off so bad now

16. Luga

Luga Well-Known Member

After scouering the internetz I FOUND A CURE!! FIX! YAY!! :)

Hello! Luga here with GOOD NEWS!
    There is a FIX for Heart Gold and Soul Silver AT LAST!!
    I have used this patch and have played the game for THREE HOURS STRAGHT! IT WORKS! YAY!!
    WATCH OUT JOHTO! HERE I COME!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FQ2SVU55

Original Post from GBATemp:
    Trust me on this one, Rudolph has created alot of patches for problematic ROMs, every patch worked.

~WARNING! DON'T BE A N00BISH MORON!~

#REMEMBER!! .BAK IS THE GAME BEFORE PATCH!
    USE THE .NDS WHEN THE DATE CHANGES TO THE CURRENT DATE!

17. Caturdayz

Caturdayz Active Member

Is this just for DSTT and R4's?

Also your use of tildes, ALLCAPS, and 0's in place of O's has me wondering...

18. p4tman

p4tman Guest

Okay im gonnatest it out luga and i'll post the good news (hopefully) if it works on itouch ds

19. nightshizumu

nightshizumu Member

Luga i have that patch & i just drag my pokemon HG to the patch both exe.36 & 37 & i keep gettin an error saying..

cant find an original pokemon HG SS file

plz help i wanna own red lulz

20. EliasT

EliasT New Member

I did and the ROM runs fine, but it runs at about 3 frames per second when in overworld. Any idea why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.