1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Sneak Peek & Change Log

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seph, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

We're completely changing our forum software to something much better. :)

Cheers. I ran OnePlus site on AWS, though, so I should have it covered. Will let you know if I'm ever confused about anything though, they have so many different services.

2. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

OK! Never mind! I will waiting for this! :)

3. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Would you like to have a picture of me to put on the front page?
    We can arrange something

4. Seph

I don't want to scare people away.

5. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have a point. They'd probably think it's only for really cool people and they might stop coming.

6. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

What a sneaky peak. :p

In any case, if the tag line says 'console classics download', does that imply that you won't be hosting any new ones until they become obsolete? Then there'll be many stuff that won't be moved to the new one.

7. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Can you give me a really cool title on there. Something like 'Hot stuff' or 'Bone crusher'. That suits me.

Or World Leader.

8. Seph

We're not going to remove any downloadable content in themove.

9. jnbeta

jnbeta Member

Everyone, there should be a download that if you download (any game) and after like 10 day (or more) you can still download it again for free because
    it shouldn't cost any point because you own the game you downloaded.

10. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I don't see the need for this, it's impractical to have the system memorize each and every member's activity on the site. Furthermore it's unlikely many would require re-downloading something they already downloaded and kept in their hard drive. In all my years being here, I've never download the same file I already had twice. In any case, there's already the 72 hours window given to re-download the same file without further point deduction. Which should more that suffice.

11. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Just saw this Seph.
    Looks beautiful. And I'm sure Loony has done some work as well, so hats off to you. *tips hat*

jnbeta's post just gave me a little idea.
    How about a featured game every week? Something a mod or admin really likes, is probably unheard of and is featured on the site with a 0 point cost? Could get some people interested into some new games...

12. Seph

Loony is being boss and converting our entire ROM collection to the most optimal file format. So right now we're testing both 7z and rar4 formats to see which one has the smallest file size and then keeping that version. This is saving us hundreds of GBs worth of data that we can use for new goodies AND it's saving our users bandwidth. (and as such less points as well)

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

More power to you both seph and loony ;)

Can't wait for what is it now RomU 3.0?

14. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Loony ever not boss? :p
    But I'm looking forward to this Seph. Good luck with it all!

15. Seph

I think this is actually going to be version 6. As far as I can remember there's been 5 big design iterations before this one and the URLs seem to back this up, for instance all our template files reside inside a directory called "Generation5": https://www.romulation.org/system/views/Generation5/media/styles/custom.css?v=15

16. Seph

http://imgur.com/ypEbJzd
    http://imgur.com/1UvhSeC

17. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Seph, that looks fucking incredible! Good effort man! And is that 3DS I see? 😉

18. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

The previews look Awesome.

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

@seph: I didn't realize there were other previous revisions besides the one I saw when I joined RomU back in '07.

If memory serves me correctly, the first version of RomU I saw is the one on this old clip on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0qZt3CC36o

... albeit I still remember a big green and/or orange download button on here as well.

Then followed by what we have now. There were also a few minor revisions I saw but they were mostly in regards to what kind of files RomU hosts.

20. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

that looks like generation 3 to me. We had a grey vertical layout before that.